*** Sky Q Thread ***

Caporegime
Yeah. If I'm honest I find that logic very odd. I don't want to have to pre-download something before watching it. With everything in cloud/edge-servers etc. I should be able to click play and it start, like every other streaming service on the planet. (Well the good ones :p).

Yeah it's quite frustrating as the box fills up remarkably quickly with stuff you only ever wanted to watch once.
Consider some of the people stuck on slow broadband, less than 3 or 4 Meg. If it was a stream they watch then it would buffer constantly and be very frustrating to sit and watch an hour long program that takes you two hours to watch. This way it won’t let you view until the box has built up enough of a buffer.

Soldato
I understand that argument, but then for people that have shelled out for SkyQ I'd imagine most are on fairly decent broadband. Anyhoo.

I'm travelling next week and taking my work Macbook. I understand there's a Sky Q/Go (?) app for Macbook correct? Will I be able to download stuff to watch on the plane or do you need to authenticate somehow to watch?

Soldato
I'm not even a coder but I'm pretty sure a simple if statement saying "if b/w under x download, other wise stream" could resolve low bandwidth issues but make everyone else happy.

Caporegime
I understand that argument, but then for people that have shelled out for SkyQ I'd imagine most are on fairly decent broadband. Anyhoo.

I'm travelling next week and taking my work Macbook. I understand there's a Sky Q/Go (?) app for Macbook correct? Will I be able to download stuff to watch on the plane or do you need to authenticate somehow to watch?

You may need Sky Go Extra which is currently free for joining VIP. Once you're signed up, go here and download the Mac App then sign in and start downloading.

Soldato
Yeah checked that and junk and have had nothing.

Wasn't aware they could put it up if you locked into an 18 month deal, as never had an increase even when they have happened before while being on a deal.

Soldato
You may need Sky Go Extra which is currently free for joining VIP. Once you're signed up, go here and download the Mac App then sign in and start downloading.
Thanks. Sky Go wasn't letting me download anything to start with but now my Q and everything is all set-up, it looks like I can.

So, trying to install the Mac app on my work Macbook but it doesn't seem to actually install anything. It runs the installer and loads the app, but if you quit the application, the only way to get back is to run the installer again. Huh :confused: Struggling to find anything on my Googling.

Also can't connect via my corporate network to download movies now, but I'll save that for when I get home :p

Soldato
Cool does it work without needing internet at any point? I'm downloading movies to watch on my flight but will be annoyed if I need to authenticate or something :p (I'm signed into the app now, obviously)

Soldato
Just renogiated my contract after the friends and family discount came to an end. Mangaged to get it for basically the same price for another 18 months.

Sky Q 2tb, second mini box, all the channels including sports, movies and box sets and UHD for £54. Happy with that :)

Associate
I switched from Sky (non-Q) to Virgin a few years ago for the far superior & more stable internet connection.

Now renovating my house and deciding which services to get plumbed in, does Sky Q include a better internet connection than the standard product?

Associate
How does the Sky fibre work? Is it new cables into the house from the street?

I think the weakness in my house was the BT phone line which was why I struggled so much with Sky & BT previously where Virgin resolved the issue by laying new cable.

Soldato
Trying to re-negoitate after my friends and family deal expired. Currently on 45pm for everything (Except Netflix and 4k) and 20pm for fibre.
On the chat this is what was offered to me, not great:

OFFER 1:

Sky Entertainment = £17 (Usually £27)
Sky HD = £1 (Usually £5)
Sky Box Sets = £1 (Usually £5)
Sky Sports Complete and Sports HD = £23 (Usually £34)
Sky Cinema = £11 (Usually £19)

Sky Fibre Unlimited = £8.01 (Usually £22) (Current offer, ends 5th March 2020)
Line Rental = £18.99)

Total Bundle Cost = £80 a month! (Usually £130.99)

This would be for 18 months in a new 18 month minimum term. There would also be a one off mandatory £10 admin fee added to your next bill if you accept. The offers will start today and run for the full 18 months of the new term meaning you save money for longer :)

This is an offer based on your current package!

Here is an offer with the additional mini box as requested!

OFFER 2:

Sky Entertainment = £17 (Usually £27)
Sky HD = £1 (Usually £5)
Sky Box Sets = £1 (Usually £5)
Sky Sports Complete and Sports HD = £23 (Usually £34)
Sky Cinema = £11 (Usually £19)
Sky Q Multiscreen = £13

Sky Fibre Unlimited = £8.01 (Usually £22) (Current offer, ends 5th March 2020)
Line Rental = £18.99)

Total Bundle Cost = £93 a month! (Usually £130.99)

This would be for 18 months in a new 18 month minimum term. There would also be a one off mandatory £10 admin fee added to your next bill if you accept. The offers will start today and run for the full 18 months of the new term meaning you save money for longer :)

This also includes a one off payment of £20 for the Sky Q Mini Box! (Usually £99) I can also apply free delivery of this (Usually £9.95)

Back
Top Bottom