*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
Go to recordings and then manage. Will show available space.

Unfortunately the manage option only gives the used space as a percentage - I've got about a dozen things recorded totaling 61.7GB and it is saying I've used 3% - when I look at this I guess it is looking like it is the 2TB box because 61.7 divided by 2000 does work out at just over 3% (is this calculation even right??)

I've actually just rung Sky and they couldn't tell me just by the hardware number whether it is a 1TB or 2TB box and since it's showing up on my phone as a 1TB, they have agreed it looks like it's a 1TB and are going to swap it one day next week! :confused:

Now I'm wondering whether I should call them back and say it does look like a 2TB!

Soldato
Unfortunately the manage option only gives the used space as a percentage - I've got about a dozen things recorded totaling 61.7GB and it is saying I've used 3% - when I look at this I guess it is looking like it is the 2TB box because 61.7 divided by 2000 does work out at just over 3% (is this calculation even right??)

I've actually just rung Sky and they couldn't tell me just by the hardware number whether it is a 1TB or 2TB box and since it's showing up on my phone as a 1TB, they have agreed it looks like it's a 1TB and are going to swap it one day next week! :confused:

Now I'm wondering whether I should call them back and say it does look like a 2TB!
My 2TB does show as that when I cast YouTube to box so you seem to have the wrong box. My box is black on top and silver at bottom, the earlier 2tb boxes were easily identifiable by the silver strip.

Soldato
sky are useless.

check the label on the bottom of the box. if its ES340d8 then its a 1TB UHD box. if its ES340d9 then its a 2Tb box.

Yep, the label on the box says its "ES340d9UK-IE" which when you combine it with the actual calculation of the used space it DOES look to be the 2TB - which makes it all the more annoying that it's being picked up as the 1TB when you go to cast to it!

Think I'll give Sky a call and tell them to cancel the engineer!

Thanks guys....

Soldato
First time Sky-er here. Signed up on last day for the January sale to find out 6 hours later in the morning they had done a new deal for £10 more then what i Paid for to get Cinema and Ultimate on demand ( from £42 with HD/Fibre).

Seems will be getting new router as seen all sky routers have been AWEFUL in the past but might plug in BT one off it ..
Been told I'll be getting the 1TB UHD box - though only using HD due to older TV. Just read though Dolby Atmos is capped to UHD Experience package only =/
Was hoping to sign up to Disney Plus via sky and watch HD but with Atmos ... Samsung TV is to old to accept modern apps (2012) so wont get it

Soldato
All Q boxes act as wifi hotspots including main boxes and Mini boxes.
So if I have their latest router, and one of their latest boosters, getting a Sky Q box will only improve and add to Sky's wifi mesh?

ps: It's such a shame their powerline technology failed. It would have been epic to have that option to have a Sky powerline option to enable/use too!

Caporegime
So if I have their latest router, and one of their latest boosters, getting a Sky Q box will only improve and add to Sky's wifi mesh?

ps: It's such a shame their powerline technology failed. It would have been epic to have that option to have a Sky powerline option to enable/use too!
Yes if you get Q it will add to your mesh. Beware having your hub and main box very close to each other though, they can interfere.

Soldato
Yes if you get Q it will add to your mesh. Beware having your hub and main box very close to each other though, they can interfere.
12ft, through a double brick wall...

Got the option to upgrade to a 1TB Sky Q box for a one off £20.

But the fact I'd lose all the recorded programs on my existing box isn't appealling :(

Soldato
All Q boxes act as wifi hotspots including main boxes and Mini boxes.

Only if you're using Sky's broadband of course.

Is it not still there, just hidden, or have they removed it entirely now?

Soldato
Is it not still there, just hidden, or have they removed it entirely now?
My understanding is Sky wanted to include powerline tech in their hardware, which of course would have been epic. ie: Their router and devices optionally using powerline tech to communicate, and then even offering powerplugs too to add to it? BUT, from what I've read they got a US company to design the technology which then just is incompatible not suited to UK power supplies?

Not sure how correct that is!?!

But of course the fact Sky's harware can't offer/use powerline functionality too me is a huge huge shame and loss of functionality!

Soldato
The original q hardware did have it. Not sure the latest boxes do however; the option to toggle it in the engineers menu certainly isnt there like it is on thebold boxes.

If powerline is that important, cant you just connect the boxes to powerline adaptors?

Back
Top Bottom