*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
Hi guys wheres the best place to get a SkyQ deal? im fed up with Virgin and their price hikes, i have 100mb Fibre and their top TV package, sky sports etc, but they keep hiking prices, so this time ive exercised my option to leave.

Broadband in my area is terrible bad, can only get like 4.5mb but sod it, i'll suffer that to get away from Virgin.

As a new Sky customer (ive never had sky before) where is the best place i should go for a good deal? the sky site seems to be ok but ive read a lot of people getting better deals elsewhere?

Edit: Update... contacted Sky via their web chat, spoke to a guy and explained im interested in SkyQ, hes offered me Sky Multiroom, 2TB SkyQ box, Broadband unlimited (cant get fibre here yet), Sky Sports and Movies, Sky Box Sets, Sky Kids, Sky Sports HD, all for £57.40 p/m on a 12 month contract

Update #2: seems the Broadband did not get added, so it went through at £35pm, its basically the whole package Sky has with the 4K 2TB Q Box, Sports and Movies, Box Sets, Multi Room, Kids channels etc, then i manually added their Broadband for £17.50 pm and got a free £100 pre paid Mastercard lobbed in :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
People on the Sky Q forum now reporting that the Juddering Fix hasn't worked for some and that it can be more pronounced then before.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Juddering-in-2160p-mode-when-using-Sony-TV/m-p/2534067#M52528

Glad I haven't applied it yet and probably worth holding back if you haven't yourself.

If you have then:

Hi All

I am Quinnicus a volunteer from the SonyUK Community Forums. I note that many are still experiencing issues after you have updated the firmware.

Can you please also post this onto the Sony Community Forums too - as the more people who report this, the more likely Sony will listen, and I doubt Sony are actively monitoring these forums.

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/and...-4k-2160p-juddering-issues-sky-bt/m-p/2081726

Please also confirm:
Your exact TV Model Number
You have factory reset your TV (first troubleshooting step Sony will ask anyhow)
Confirm that the firmware version has been installed - ( Help > System Information )

It might also be very helpful if someone could make a short video of the problem containing the firmware version in the video as well

Cheers

Soldato
I have a friends and family offer in that we both get £125 pre paid Mastercards anyone interested hit me up on trust :). Oh and I snagged sky q 2tb with 60% off and £75 credit took 2 calls to get it.

Take it that is for new customers only?

Cancelled my parents sky (TV & internet) but no offers to come back so far. The internet hasn't officially been cancelled yet as its only 14 days notice so perhaps something will come through when that kicks in.

Looking to get them on q as part of coming back.

Mini box has mostly been stable (wireless), think I've had to reset the mini twice and the main once over the last month

Soldato
The friends and family deal thing is good, i looked at it as my Uncle has Sky so we could have gotten £125 each but the deal monthly prices for what i just got would have cost me like £120pm

If your thinking of swapping to Sky for SkyQ, just use their online Webchat thing, the deal i got was utterly bonkers.

Caporegime
So having been with sky for god knows how long. Trying to get an upgrade for a new sky box as my hd one is in its way out. One of the very first hd boxes is the one I have at the moment.

So I pay £72 a month for my package which includes everything but the movies pack. When I called them up, they quoted me £60 one off install fee and then £12 a mth which makes it about £82 a mth.

Is there anything I can do to get it cheaper?? I spoke to them at length but for existing customers there isn't any sort of discounts that you would get as a new customer. I asked about cancelling then coming back as a new customer but that's no good as I won't be able to sign up as a new customer for at least 12mths.

No loyalty discount even though I've been with sky for well over 10 yrs at least.

Ridiculous how loyal customers get shafted :(.

Anyhow any advice or tips to get my upgrade cheaper as in monthly subscription really.

Man of Honour
£60 for two boxes and an extra £12 is the going rate for Sky Q.

Got a GF/wife/house mate that can get the new customer deals for you?

Man of Honour
OP
Sony update on the Juddering Fix:

UPDATE: Juddering issue on Sony 4K TVs when using a UHD Set-top box – 03. October

03 October 2016

It’s been brought to our attention that some customers may still be experiencing intermittent juddering while watching 4K content via a UHD set-top box.

Our engineers are investigating this issue with the upmost priority.

To improve stability and reduce the likelihood of juddering occurring, please download firmware (ver.3.509) on our support site

Alternatively, if the juddering symptom persists, please try the temporary workaround provided in our FAQ: Juddering images when watching 2160p (4K) output from UHD Set-top boxes via HDMI

We also recommend bookmarking this page for future reference, so that you can be informed when a permanent solution is available.

We thank you for your patience and sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

UPDATE: If you're currently experiencing this issue, we recommend downloading the latest firmware (ver.3.509) which is available on our support site

Unaffected customers are not required to download this update.

We thank you for your patience and apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Man of Honour
OP
What do you get in V3:

Sky Store Buy&Keep Box Sets

Support for Sky Store Buy&Keep Box Sets has been added to the software, you will now be able to purchase and then watch both Movie and TV Box Sets from the Sky Store section on your Sky Q boxes.
As with other Buy&Keep purchases, when purchasing a Box Set through Sky Store you will gain access to a digital version on all your Sky Store compatible devices as well as receiving a DVD copy in the post to keep.

Top Picks

The thumbnail image of any program within Top Picks which is currently on now will change to show a live Picture in Picture preview of the channel when the program tile is highlighted. Selecting the program will now also take the user directly to the channel in full screen.
Content from regional channels such as ITV can now appear within the Top Picks section.
Live Pay Per View content can now also appear within the Top Picks section.

Online Video Adverts

Video adverts can now appear before the start of content selected from the Online Video section.
Adverts will appear at frequent intervals but never during the middle of a video, only before one begins
You will NOT be able to Pause, Skip or Fast Forward these advertisements.
Pressing dismiss during an advert will exit full screen and end playback of the Online Video.

Sky Sports Interactive: Split Screen Video

When using the Sky Sports Interactive app you can now view sports video clips alongside the Live TV.
You will also now be able to view two live streams side by side, enabling you to watch either two different football or tennis matches at the same time. Or view two different camera angles when watching Formula 1.
To get started with split screen video, just press the red button to open the Sky Sports Interactive Q app and select a video clip or customise your match choise.
Split screen video is only available on Sky Q & Sky Q Silver boxes, it is NOT available on Sky Q Mini boxes.

Sky Sports Start Over

If you've missed the start of a football match or other selected sports, you can now restart the event from the beginning.
To restart a sports event, press the RED button to launch interactive then select the "Watch from Start" option, the event will then start playing from the beginning.
Once playing you can then fast forward and start watching from any point you want to.

Friendly Box Naming

The name used to identify a Q box when pairing an AirPlay or Bluetooth device has been changed to make identifying boxes easier. The AirPlay and Blootooth name will now appear in the following format, where XXXX represents the last four digits of the Q boxes serial number;
Sky Q 2TB Box XXXX
Sky Q 1TB Box XXXX
Sky Q Mini XXXX

Other

If you select to download a program in HD from a channel you do not subscribe to in HD, the Sky Q box will now automatically download the program in SD instead and display the following message on screen: "Downloading in SD. You don't have the required subscription to download this program in HD."
When changing the Q boxes Output Resolution to 2160P, you now have the option to select either; "10-bit", "8-bit" or "Find it for me".
Within the Network tab in the hidden setup menu you now have the option to select either "80 MHz/Ch 36" "40 MHz/Ch 36" or "20 MHz/Ch 44" for the 5GHz WiFi mesh.
The option to Archive Buy&Keep purchases is no longer available within the Purchases tab, these assets must now be archived from the Disk Space tab.

Firmware added to DR stream Monday 3rd October 2016.
Firmware rollout commenced Wednesday 5th October 2016.

Back
Top Bottom