*** Sky Q Thread ***

Soldato
So having been with sky for god knows how long. Trying to get an upgrade for a new sky box as my hd one is in its way out. One of the very first hd boxes is the one I have at the moment.

So I pay £72 a month for my package which includes everything but the movies pack. When I called them up, they quoted me £60 one off install fee and then £12 a mth which makes it about £82 a mth.

Is there anything I can do to get it cheaper?? I spoke to them at length but for existing customers there isn't any sort of discounts that you would get as a new customer. I asked about cancelling then coming back as a new customer but that's no good as I won't be able to sign up as a new customer for at least 12mths.

No loyalty discount even though I've been with sky for well over 10 yrs at least.

Ridiculous how loyal customers get shafted :(.

Anyhow any advice or tips to get my upgrade cheaper as in monthly subscription really.

My parents were with Sky since the beginning - they refused to even replace a faulty HD box 1 month out of warranty so we ended up leaving (that and the lack of a good discount for long term loyalty). Some people were leaving after a year and being offered 50% off - the most my parents got was a
25% off deal 5 months after leaving.

Soldato
So having been with sky for god knows how long. Trying to get an upgrade for a new sky box as my hd one is in its way out. One of the very first hd boxes is the one I have at the moment.

So I pay £72 a month for my package which includes everything but the movies pack. When I called them up, they quoted me £60 one off install fee and then £12 a mth which makes it about £82 a mth.

Is there anything I can do to get it cheaper?? I spoke to them at length but for existing customers there isn't any sort of discounts that you would get as a new customer. I asked about cancelling then coming back as a new customer but that's no good as I won't be able to sign up as a new customer for at least 12mths.

No loyalty discount even though I've been with sky for well over 10 yrs at least.

Ridiculous how loyal customers get shafted :(.

Anyhow any advice or tips to get my upgrade cheaper as in monthly subscription really.

The easiest way is to leave and mean it. Go through with the cancellation. They might offer you a discount on the phone but continue with the cancellation anyway. It won't be turned off straight away as you have to give 30 days notice.

During that 30 days, either Sky will contact you with an offer or you can download the Sky Service app on your phone and an offer will appear on that.

Associate
Probably the wrong place for this question...

Does anyone have a problem with the Sky Q router? Sometimes on my iPad I can't get web pages to load, check emails etc. (All things that require Internet)

Soldato
Sky Q silver no 4K??????

Hi all,

Hope the boffins on here can help. I had sky Q installed yesterday, and all seems ok but I have a problem - I am unable to get the sky to recognise my 4K tv and set the res to 2160.

I have the Samsung JS9000 55" suhd tv curved which is both 10 bit and has the compliant hdmi ports. have tried all the hdmi ports, checked that 4K is enabled in tv settings for all 4 ports, but no dice. Have tried the usual turning the box off at the socket etc, but still no dice.
Have also tried connecting it to hdmi port on my Denon 7200Aw receiver, and still does not recognise the tv is 4k.
Anybody on here using this combination of TV and Sky Q ?
How How can I get this working - it is frustrating.

Any help appreciated.

Mark

Last edited:
Soldato
This is on the main box and it is a Q Silver yes? Standard non-Silver boxes and the minis don't do 4K.

yep. Mystified here - could it be a faulty box perhaps? The installer had a hell of a job getting it to pick up signal - thought it was not going to work, but then it just suddenly started to work.

Soldato
No they are not available - yet my mate downstairs has exactly the same package as me with a Panasonic 4K tv, and in his menus 4K films are available etc. Mine steadfastly refuses to see my tv as 4K. Grrrrrrrrr

Mark

Soldato
Are the Ultra HD sections visible in the menus?

Sounds almost like the box things it's a standard one rather than a Silver.

Just had a look at my box - does the 2TB silver box have any silver on it as Mine is all black - beginning to think I have a standard box. Can you confirm what yours looks like please.

Mark

Associate
Just had a look at my box - does the 2TB silver box have any silver on it as Mine is all black - beginning to think I have a standard box. Can you confirm what yours looks like please.

Mark

Sounds like the standard box.

I have the same TV as yourself and all working fine with the UHD.

Soldato
Sounds like the standard box.

I have the same TV as yourself and all working fine with the UHD.

how long have you had yours, I ask because sky are insisting tha I have a silver box but 1tb instead of 2 tb. I think they are lying to me to cover their fudge up. I am very annoyed at this moment.

Mark

Associate
how long have you had yours, I ask because sky are insisting tha I have a silver box but 1tb instead of 2 tb. I think they are lying to me to cover their fudge up. I am very annoyed at this moment.

Mark

Couple of months I've had SkyQ, it does have a silver trim along the bottom.

Soldato
Spoke to sky this morning about wrong box supplied - she lied to me and told me I had a silver 1TB box which does not support 4K - afaik there is no silver 1TB box, but I could be wrong. Anyway she was going to get on to the installer and ask him to swap out the box, and get back to me - no dice.

Had to ring the installer myself twice and am now waiting for him to confirm by 5.30pm today when they can do the swap over.

It is obvious to me that Sky support is as bad as it ever was - no change there then - don't mind taking your money, but when their is a problem as usual they don't want to know. Will be sending them my tel bill for all the wasted calls on this. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Associate
May as well post here - I've been with BT for internet since I've had internet but this year I decided to shop around and Sky have some decent deals on, confirmed that sky fibre max is available in my area (which it was) - tried my luck to see if I could get close but operator on the end of the phone said only way he could come close was if he put me on a 24month contract - and even then it ends up more expensive than skys £15ppm +£17.40pmm line rental -

So when on the phone to sky operator to switch over and he mentioned SkyQ and if I would be interested - my installation is due on the 17th xD - Looking forward to having it installed, never had Sky and Q looks nifty

Soldato
Spoke to sky this morning about wrong box supplied - she lied to me and told me I had a silver 1TB box which does not support 4K - afaik there is no silver 1TB box, but I could be wrong. Anyway she was going to get on to the installer and ask him to swap out the box, and get back to me - no dice.

Yep you have a standard box, which is all black. The Silver has a silver coloured base to it. There is no such thing as a 1TB Silver, they're all 2TB.

I'd double-check your kit list in your account on the Sky website first to check it says you should have a Silver. Assuming it does I'd be writing to Sky to demand they provide what you're paying for.

Soldato
Yep you have a standard box, which is all black. The Silver has a silver coloured base to it. There is no such thing as a 1TB Silver, they're all 2TB.

I'd double-check your kit list in your account on the Sky website first to check it says you should have a Silver. Assuming it does I'd be writing to Sky to demand they provide what you're paying for.

I have established with sky that it is deffo the wrong box - despite what the lady said to me. The installer was supposed to ring me back by 5.30pm to arrange for the replacement - guess what he didn't ring. I will be back on the phone to him tomorrow morning at 9am sharp. Off to a great start - not. Lol.

At least I have calmed down a bit now - was very angry earlier about this fudge up.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom