Sky Stream - Launches *NOW* (post #1 for pricing / page #5 for pics)

Associate
Just got mine set up, the playlist feature is actually quite convenient in my opinion to watch shows on different streaming services. The family will be happy everything can be accessed with the one remote now.

Soldato
OP
Had a few crashes on the disney+ app last night whilst watching Andor. In testing, it only does it when set to 4K, in HD mode it's fine.

Maybe it's my wifi, but for some reason the box has now found my 5ghz band so I've moved over to that now.

Will go back to 4K and see how it goes.

Despite my reservations, it is easier to use the Mic button and just say Sky Sports rather than finding it on the guide.

Last edited:
Soldato
Going on how it uses the apps, can you sign into any of them? Like does it have BT sport and can you sign in with it?

Does the box do Dolby Vision?

Soldato
OP
Going on how it uses the apps, can you sign into any of them? Like does it have BT sport and can you sign in with it?

Does the box do Dolby Vision?

Yes, they are normal apps where you can signin and out. No BT sports app, you have to subscribe to BT through the sky store app.

Yes to dolby vision.

also, iplayer does support 4K

Associate
I phoned them up this morning and ordered a Stream puck for £20, switching to a new 31 day rolling contract. Still had over 12 months left on my Q contract but there was no problem ending it early. Costs a couple of quid more per month but I want to be able to dump the whole lot after Christmas so it's a win win as far as I'm concerned.

Associate
One thing I forgot to mention was I was apparently one day late for the sky cinema offer when I rang to sign up to sky stream (£8 instead of £11) I’m hoping this comes back just in time for Christmas. At the moment it’s showing kids package free for 2 months, apparently they change often so worth keeping an eye on the my sky app.

Associate
Yes, they are normal apps where you can signin and out. No BT sports app, you have to subscribe to BT through the sky store app.

Yes to dolby vision.

also, iplayer does support 4K
Cheers for this mate.

I just look at the deals you can get once you’re signed up with Now-like I’m paying £4.99 a month for Entertainment for 6 months with £2 Boost. You add in UHD Netflix and it still works out cheaper that what you’d be paying for with this.

I dunno. Guess I’m just too used to the streaming services that going back to long term contracts seems a bit archaic at this point.

Soldato
OP
Cheers for this mate.

I just look at the deals you can get once you’re signed up with Now-like I’m paying £4.99 a month for Entertainment for 6 months with £2 Boost. You add in UHD Netflix and it still works out cheaper that what you’d be paying for with this.

I dunno. Guess I’m just too used to the streaming services that going back to long term contracts seems a bit archaic at this point.

Only 30 day contracts mate. The discounts are valid for 18 months, but still only 30 days contracts. I think the higher cost is worth it personally. There's far better choice through sky stream over now tv, plus the quality is on a different level. Might be worth trying it, as you can always cancel.

Associate
Only 30 day contracts mate. The discounts are valid for 18 months, but still only 30 days contracts. I think the higher cost is worth it personally. There's far better choice through sky stream over now tv, plus the quality is on a different level. Might be worth trying it, as you can always cancel.
Oh yeah it’s all down to personal preference at the end of the day. Just looking at it, a 31 day contract just doing Ultimate plus UHD Netflix (£8 upgrade) would be £37. Entertainment with Boost (with my deal) plus UHD Netflix for me at present is £23. Is Stream £14 better? I’d argue that it isn’t. But again, everyone’s situation/circumstances are different.

Maybe if they lowered the prices I’d give it a go but as it stands I think it’s a pass for us.

Soldato
OP
Oh yeah it’s all down to personal preference at the end of the day. Just looking at it, a 31 day contract just doing Ultimate plus UHD Netflix (£8 upgrade) would be £37. Entertainment with Boost (with my deal) plus UHD Netflix for me at present is £23. Is Stream £14 better? I’d argue that it isn’t. But again, everyone’s situation/circumstances are different.

Maybe if they lowered the prices I’d give it a go but as it stands I think it’s a pass for us.
Id get on the blower, see if you can thrash out a deal

Soldato
Would be great if they offered just the Sky Entertainment exclusive channels at the £9.99 price point, instead of advertising 120+ channels most of which are either already free via an antenna on your roof, or some some of VoD/shopping non-sense that and then charging £30 with a cheapo Netflix sub included.

Associate
Well mine arrived this morning. What a heap of junk. Image quality is crap. UI is glitchy, slow and live HD channels are sharper via Freeview HD. UHD is OK but I'm seriously not impressed.
If they'd put the UHD streams on NOW I'd pay for them, but this box is seriously unimpressive. It's completely screwed the CEC with my other kit connected to my amp too. It's a trash fire.

Back
Top Bottom