*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Associate
thanks superdumper i will phone them tomorrow and see what they say. if i wanted to be considered for one of your invites for the free 2tb box and half price installation on the minibox do i just post a message on this forum?

thanks again

Give them a call tomorrow or the day after tomorrow (due to the weather some of the sites are closed) and see what they tell you. If you're interested in one of the invites, post here and I'll get back to you.

Soldato
Sneaky! Is there any point to contract periods anymore.

Nope. It's down to feeble regulators looking to jump ship in the future to a higher paying job in the industries they are meant to regulate. They let this stuff go through.

Can you imagine buying a car or house on a fixed rate and being told midway through your first year that the bank was allowed to stick up the price by RPI? It's absolutely scandalous.

Caporegime
Sneaky! Is there any point to contract periods anymore.
Perhaps, but they do say they'll only do it once in any 12 month period.

Also, some offers, depending on how they're worded may mean your price doesn't change. For example, half price Sky Broadband, your price will rise. £5 Broadband unlimited won't, because the offer states the price you will pay.

http://www.sky.com/shop/__PDF/Sky_TV_Contract.pdf said:
Will the price of my subscription(s) rise during the Minimum Term?
Under the Sky digital Subscription Contract we can increase the prices for the Stand-alone Premium Channels or extra Sky Premium Channels at any time during the Minimum Term. However, in all other cases during the Minimum Term we can only increase the relevant Subscription Payment once in any 12 month period. This increase won’t affect you during the first 60 days of your subscription to your chosen service(s) and will not be more than either 10% of the standard price of your Option or the increase in the UK Retail Price Index over the last 12 months before we tell you about that price increase, whichever is greater. Under the Sky digital Subscription Contract, if at any time you change your chosen Service, you will pay the then current price for your new Service from the day you first receive it.

Caporegime
Nope. It's down to feeble regulators looking to jump ship in the future to a higher paying job in the industries they are meant to regulate. They let this stuff go through.

Can you imagine buying a car or house on a fixed rate and being told midway through your first year that the bank was allowed to stick up the price by RPI? It's absolutely scandalous.

is it? Retail prices rise all the time, often by way more than the RPI. Mortgage interest rates change too.

Soldato
Perhaps, but they do say they'll only do it once in any 12 month period.

Also, some offers, depending on how they're worded may mean your price doesn't change. For example, half price Sky Broadband, your price will rise. £5 Broadband unlimited won't, because the offer states the price you will pay.

It’s only (only he says!) something like an extra £14 a year. I already get a really low price so I not actually that fussed at the moment.

On Sky’s side at least it is in their terms and is fairly black and white.

Soldato
is it? Retail prices rise all the time, often by way more than the RPI. Mortgage interest rates change too.

Fixed rates don't change, which is why I specifically stated fixed mortgages :p You can choose not to pay an increased price when you're not in contract. It keeps companies competitive.

The word "contract" has a strong implication of something being "fixed", except the regulator has now allowed the "contract" to be almost completely one sided. Companies should be able to set a fixed price for a period of a mere 2 years without needing to bang up the prices mid term to protect their profits. It's not like sky are about to go into administration. They don't need protecting so they can shove another few hundred million into the premier league or whatever inflated price they choose to bid for their big hitters. These are secure, financially stable companies who don't need the option of clawing more money from their customers mid term. There really is no excuse for it.

Caporegime
Fixed rates don't change, which is why I specifically stated fixed mortgages :p You can choose not to pay an increased price when you're not in contract. It keeps companies competitive.

The word "contract" has a strong implication of something being "fixed", except the regulator has now allowed the "contract" to be almost completely one sided. Companies should be able to set a fixed price for a period of a mere 2 years without needing to bang up the prices mid term to protect their profits. It's not like sky are about to go into administration. They don't need protecting so they can shove another few hundred million into the premier league or whatever inflated price they choose to bid for their big hitters. These are secure, financially stable companies who don't need the option of clawing more money from their customers mid term. There really is no excuse for it.

Perhaps, but Sky aren't the only ones who put prices up during your contract. And the contract terms have been cleared by Lawyers and OFCOM.

Soldato
I’m thinking of re-joining Sky (I will be a new customer). I’m after Entertainment, HD & Kids but there appears to be no offers on at the moment? Has anyone seen an offer that betters the £30 a month for this?

Thanks a lot

Caporegime
I’m thinking of re-joining Sky (I will be a new customer). I’m after Entertainment, HD & Kids but there appears to be no offers on at the moment? Has anyone seen an offer that betters the £30 a month for this?

Thanks a lot
I can do half price entertainment (£10) and then HD and Kids would be another £10? Or full package, including Sports and Movies for £40?

Soldato
And the contract terms have been cleared by Lawyers and OFCOM.

They've been cleared by Ofcom, which is the point I'm trying to make. They've managed to create a situation that doesn't exist anywhere else, that a contract advertised with a headline rate in massive letters, can be increased in order to let the company cream more (unneeded) profits.

Soldato
Perhaps, but Sky aren't the only ones who put prices up during your contract. And the contract terms have been cleared by Lawyers and OFCOM.

I wish I had kept quiet haha! I did not want to start a riot. I have always been able to terminate a contract in the past where a company has changed the prices but as you say Sky has it in their terms to allow for 1 price rise which is fair enough, I should have read that - although I am 99% sure I was not sent any T&Cs.

Caporegime
They've been cleared by Ofcom, which is the point I'm trying to make. They've managed to create a situation that doesn't exist anywhere else, that a contract advertised with a headline rate in massive letters, can be increased in order to let the company cream more (unneeded) profits.
They do state that no price rise will happen in your first sixty days as a new customer as well.

Associate
Help please - Just cancelled sky tv - currently getting full package - sports, entertainment , box sets, HD pack etc..
No multiroom , standard sky+ box
New price was going to be £83.50 month, offered £54 but wanted 18 month tie in...
Any better deals out there?
Thanks

Soldato
They do state that no price rise will happen in your first sixty days as a new customer as well.

I have nothing against Sky in particular (you seem quite loyal to them). I have Sky Q and it's a good service. It's just that any company who is effectively told "here's some free money on top of what you thought was a set amount", is definitely going to take that option. Therefore they should be denied the option in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom