*** Sky TV Cancellation & Negotiation Thread ***

Soldato
well I didn’t pay £1200 as it was only £61pm after discounts so payed £732 for the year.

Apologies, yes I got my figures mixed up :)

It is interesting, even my mother has now rid of her Sky/Virgin TV, and we share Amazon/Netflix and she has YouView inc Freeview HD, and that allows her to record programmes etc.

I wonder how much longer this subscription dance will continue.

Soldato
Long term sub models for TV like SKY's for example will be dead inside 5-7 years. I won't sub long term for TV again and I think many are coming to the same conclusion if they haven't already ditched SKY/BT's model.

Caporegime
Long term sub models for TV like SKY's for example will be dead inside 5-7 years. I won't sub long term for TV again and I think many are coming to the same conclusion if they haven't already ditched SKY/BT's model.
People have been saying that Sky's business model is dying for the same 5-7 years yet they still manage to increase subscriber numbers.

Soldato

Given the sheer number of new players to the monthly subscription services you can only see the ARPU declining further from the TV side, and the AD revenue is down as well.

It'll take mobile and broadband to prop them up eventually, and maybe they'll detach the Sports as a standalone subscription service app.

Associate
The lady I spoke to yesterday put the extra offers on today taking the bill to £47pm. That’s for Entertainment, Box sets, sky sports, sports hd, sky hd and multi screen. Also waived the £20 admin fee. I’m happy with that take away the £13 multiroom which is purely there for my dad and it’s only £34pm, I definitely get my money’s worth with the amount sport we watch.

BT is due for renewal for Broadband in the summer and will call Sky to see what they can do for BT sport.

Soldato
now they have the 1080 nowtv option, maybe they will supplement that by 4k/hdr, and it will just push into monthly netflix/amazon/apple territory .. content is king though.
High bandwidth delivery of 4k sport, by satellite should still be a unique quality selling point.

Caporegime
now they have the 1080 nowtv option, maybe they will supplement that by 4k/hdr, and it will just push into monthly netflix/amazon/apple territory .. content is king though.
High bandwidth delivery of 4k sport, by satellite should still be a unique quality selling point.
It is which is why Now TV likely won’t ever offer it. Or if they do it’ll be in a few years time. It’s taken this long to get 1080P on now tv so as not to step on the sat services toes.

Soldato
Given the sheer number of new players to the monthly subscription services you can only see the ARPU declining further from the TV side, and the AD revenue is down as well.

It'll take mobile and broadband to prop them up eventually, and maybe they'll detach the Sports as a standalone subscription service app.

Yep, now if they offered me only what I want which NFL for 6 months a year, I would sign up for that, their Fibre is very good and i'd keep my tenner a month mobile with them also. I'm not subsidising EPL billionaires and the endless pundits, hangars on, VAR shills etc, or subsidising endless content I'm not interested in. The endless other subs servies offering specific content will kill off SKY's all-in model, just as you have suggested.

As mentioned above 'content is king' and if i'm not offerered exactly what I want i'll keep my money. I think 4k and all that are nice selling points but not game changers for most people.

Soldato
The lady I spoke to yesterday put the extra offers on today taking the bill to £47pm. That’s for Entertainment, Box sets, sky sports, sports hd, sky hd and multi screen. Also waived the £20 admin fee. I’m happy with that take away the £13 multiroom which is purely there for my dad and it’s only £34pm, I definitely get my money’s worth with the amount sport we watch.

BT is due for renewal for Broadband in the summer and will call Sky to see what they can do for BT sport.

They'll always waive these to make people feel like they've had a little win, sounds like you did well on your deal.

Soldato
It is which is why Now TV likely won’t ever offer it.
I've never seen much published about who does their hardware design - in house ? not humax ? their 4k/hdr issues can still be related to the Q box,
since in the Italy trials there are comments on low bitrates .. hardware not up to it. ?

Just filled in their exit questionaire, very interesting
with Nowtv exit survey .. I do wonder whether the way you reply drives any re-subscribe offers you get - if you say it is too expensive !

nowtv folks, obviously know what you have actually watched, so, I did think the £1.50 per month offer I took, was because we had only watched TWD, over last couple of months.

Soldato
with Nowtv exit survey .. I do wonder whether the way you reply drives any re-subscribe offers you get - if you say it is too expensive !

I thought the same thing, they really ought to include some space to tell them exactly what you want. Thought I suspect they might not like the answers they get. They did ask how open would you be to a 12 month subscription?

Associate
well, I have put my 31 days notice in today, Im still in contract up until 20th March so my sky will cancel on this date. The bill from April was moving from £90 to £140, they have tried to re-negotiate with me back down to 90 I refused so lets see what they can offer me in the next coming months.

I have approx 6 weeks left on my contract. They have contacted me on numerous occasions and matched what I'm currently paying. I'm going to hold out a little more.

Caporegime
Noticed on their website that prices are set to increase April 2020, but they don't say how much.

Last year at the same time every (individual) package went up by about £1-2, didn't it? Would imagine it's the same again.

Also it's 2020 and none of their "offers" include HD, still. Amazing. It's an added extra on all of them. Who is watching SD TV still?

Soldato
Noticed on their website that prices are set to increase April 2020, but they don't say how much.

Last year at the same time every (individual) package went up by about £1-2, didn't it? Would imagine it's the same again.

Also it's 2020 and none of their "offers" include HD, still. Amazing. It's an added extra on all of them. Who is watching SD TV still?

I know, laughable.

Caporegime
Yep, now if they offered me only what I want which NFL for 6 months a year, I would sign up for that, their Fibre is very good and i'd keep my tenner a month mobile with them also. I'm not subsidising EPL billionaires and the endless pundits, hangars on, VAR shills etc, or subsidising endless content I'm not interested in. The endless other subs servies offering specific content will kill off SKY's all-in model, just as you have suggested.
Feel exactly the same. I have a feeling I'll be switching all my services to Sky but it irks that I'll be subsidising the bleddy EPL circus, even without taking Sky Sports.

Their bb tho does seem to score consistently highly and TT are doing their best to shed me as a bb customer. Vowed I'd never go back to BT and that goes for PlusNet also.

So that basically just leaves Sky as my remaining option, lol.

Caporegime
Feel exactly the same. I have a feeling I'll be switching all my services to Sky but it irks that I'll be subsidising the bleddy EPL circus, even without taking Sky Sports.

Their bb tho does seem to score consistently highly and TT are doing their best to shed me as a bb customer. Vowed I'd never go back to BT and that goes for PlusNet also.

Don't forget I have new customer deals in the stickied post at the top!

Caporegime
Don't forget I have new customer deals in the stickied post at the top!
Thanks, but I'm not a new customer. I've had Sky TV since 2012.

So I don't qualify for any new customer deals, AFAIK, even the broadband ones. Well, so the Sky advisers keep telling me :) Can't even get the cheaper bb deals as those are for new customers only, so I'd have to pay the full £32 for broadband. Sucks.

e: From what I gather I'm basically going to have to sign up with NowTV (Sky!) for 12 months, after which I'm no longer a Sky customer (having cancelled TV last month), then switch to Sky.

Messy, but seems to be the only way I will ever get a sane price from Sky, who reserve all their genuinely good deals for new customers.

Last edited:
Soldato

Fortunately I don't need SKY at all, I always seem to get brilliant Fibre, BT Fibre was also very good for me, what issues have you had with it?

"TT" I assume you mean Talk Talk? Their reputation proceeeds them, I wouldn't employ them to peel potatoes.

:D

Back
Top Bottom