• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Skylake-X Lineup Leaked: i9-7980XE 18 Core Flagship Processor

From what I've seen higher clocks only work when an app is poorly multi threaded or when the clock difference is significant *cough*xeon*cough*, but fair enough

Rumor has it that threadripper is 44 native for all of them. It's been confirmed that EPYC has 128 lanes. Do you think that will be enough for you:p?

off topic, I'm curious what did you put in those builds?

GTX 1080, running in an 8x slot, and a 4-way M.2 adapter card, fitted with 4x Samsung 960 Pro's (in the 16x slot) to allow capture from four capture cards which needed a minimum of 4 lanes each, with 8 high resolution camera capturing data in real time, each camera generating 900 MB/s of data, hence the need for the 4 way M.2 adapter. :)

Oh and the 10G network card's built in to the board to allow data transfer to the backup, and for processing and rendering off local capture unit.

Wait what?! Intel won't be soldering Skylake X?! So there's a chance of really crappy TIM being used like on current Kabylake? Imagine bad TIM on an 12-18 core processor....

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Skyla...Kerne-bestaetigt-und-nicht-verloetet-1228994/

PC Games Hardware has been tapped from a confidential source, so that the line-up is in principle correct, ie products and core numbers. In addition, we were confirmed that the CPUs should not be soldered against the hitherto common practice with the HEDT platform.

GTX 1080, running in an 8x slot, and a 4-way M.2 adapter card, fitted with 4x Samsung 960 Pro's (in the 16x slot) to allow capture from four capture cards which needed a minimum of 4 lanes each, with 8 high resolution camera capturing data in real time, each camera generating 900 MB/s of data, hence the need for the 4 way M.2 adapter. :)

Oh and the 10G network card's built in to the board to allow data transfer to the backup, and for processing and rendering off local capture unit.

Impressive.

Wait what?! Intel won't be soldering Skylake X?! So there's a chance of really crappy TIM being used like on current Kabylake? Imagine bad TIM on an 12-18 core processor....

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Skyla...Kerne-bestaetigt-und-nicht-verloetet-1228994/

Need to keep those profit margins up.

On a serious note, apart from cost is there any other reason why you would use TIM instead of solder?
Also it just occurred to me that the base clock of the 7800x and 7820x seems wrong. Surely the lowers cores would have the higher base clock?

Need to keep those profit margins up.

On a serious note, apart from cost is there any other reason why you would use TIM instead of solder?
Also it just occurred to me that the base clock of the 7800x and 7820x seems wrong. Surely the lowers cores would have the higher base clock?

No idea about those clocks at all, but could be they want people to see the 8-10 cores as the ones to buy. Like AMD is doing with the 1600's vs 1700X-1800X.

The 7800X could be like the 5820K, which could be really bad silicon compared to the rest, so clocks are kept down to keep the TDP.

I just hope they don't use bad TIM, an HEDT platform with that many cores and not soldering could not go down well if people try to overclock.

No idea about those clocks at all, but could be they want people to see the 8-10 cores as the ones to buy. Like AMD is doing with the 1600's vs 1700X-1800X.

The 7800X could be like the 5820K, which could be really bad silicon compared to the rest, so clocks are kept down to keep the TDP.

I just hope they don't use bad TIM, an HEDT platform with that many cores and not soldering could not go down well if people try to overclock.
Ahh That makes sense.
If the June/August release date is true I expect these chips to have already entered mass production. If they are using TIM then either they have planned to do this all along regardless of what Ryzen brought to the table, or it was a last minute change, due to the change in pricing.

Ahh That makes sense.
If the June/August release date is true I expect these chips to have already entered mass production. If they are using TIM then either they have planned to do this all along regardless of what Ryzen brought to the table, or it was a last minute change, due to the change in pricing.

Aye, not long until Threadripper and these drop so it'll be interesting to see what's going on.

One thing I noticed is how badly the 7740X lines up.

It's just a 7700K, but on a bigger socket, and has a 21W higher TDP. It doesn't even have quad channel memory, it's just a physically bigger 7700K that uses more power; even clocks are identical.

Why the hell Intel have it on LGA 2066 with the rest I have no idea; hell the 7640X is a 4c/4t CPU with a 112W TDP as well on the same socket.
Looks like a bad money grab.

Aye, not long until Threadripper and these drop so it'll be interesting to see what's going on.

One thing I noticed is how badly the 7740X lines up.

It's just a 7700K, but on a bigger socket, and has a 21W higher TDP. It doesn't even have quad channel memory, it's just a physically bigger 7700K that uses more power; even clocks are identical.

Why the hell Intel have it on LGA 2066 with the rest I have no idea; hell the 7640X is a 4c/4t CPU with a 112W TDP as well on the same socket.
Looks like a bad money grab.

7740K and 7640K are on the 1151 socket, and if you look a page back you'll see the correct specs.

7640K is 4c/8t and priced the same or less than the 7600K.

Not sure if this has been reported elsewhere on the forums, but I just read this:-

https://videocardz.com/69900/exclusive-intel-to-launch-18-core-core-i9-7980xe-cpu

Doesn't really add anything more than the other links above though

That line up makes it laughable that Intel have been producing 4 core chips for Core i7 chips for so many generations now.

Suddenly dole out 18 core chips because of competition and possibly even have to do lower than normal prices.

Sandy Bridge in 2011 was $332 for 2700K. With moderate inflation that's about $400 now, which is the bottom end of Core i9 with 7800X. Ryzen 1700X is also $399.

Last edited:
I thought 4 core would become the minimum now to be honest.

Intel still going to make dual cores..

i went to this current cpu in 2009, 4 core i5. now if you check the steam survey 4 cores now make up 50.6%. 2 cores is now down to 43.3% so id imagine a lot of cheap dual core intels floating about out there as they are cheap and get people gaming.

i went to this current cpu in 2009, 4 core i5. now if you check the steam survey 4 cores now make up 50.6%. 2 cores is now down to 43.3% so id imagine a lot of cheap dual core intels floating about out there as they are cheap and get people gaming.

Steam has a lot of old systems on it. When buying a new system, 2 core chips really aren't suitable for much longer for gaming.

What are gaming minimum specs for games released this year?

edit:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/480490/Prey/

Prey is asking for a quad core. Although the i5 2400 is probably equivalent to more recent 4 threaded i3 chips. Recommended is a SB 4C/8T chip.

yeah its a hard question, fallout 4 for example asks for a min of a Intel Core i5-2300 2.8 GHz which is a 2011 chip, im running it with a older chip sure its overclocked but its 2 years older technology wise. and has been proven on youtube many times a dual core sky lake is fairly handy in games if you want to make a budget system.

If the 8 core / 16 thread chip can overclock to 4 Ghz I'll be highly tempted to get that. Having AVX 512 will be fun as well to play around with from a programming perspective as well. I'll wait for reviews and official prices before I make a decision but from looking at what is being offered I think I'll stick to Intel for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom