• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Skylake-X Lineup Leaked: i9-7980XE 18 Core Flagship Processor

Associate
Where have you been? Intel's TIM has been **** since at least devils canyon.
4 more pcie lans isn't worth shouting about and neither is quad chanel RAM.
Real world usage shows little improvement over dual.

3 samsung evo ssds, setup was swapped from 7700k to 1800x, everything except motherboard an 1800x was the same.

Sure it did.... :rolleyes:

well I've actually got both systems, well did have until yesterday when I refunded the 1800x, do you?

Soldato
As I've said my 1700 and 4770 show no difference in desktop use. Ryzen is equal to or faster in every test I've ran apart from boot.
Judging by your previous posts I'm thinking you are looking for an excuse to bash AMD and flex your inner intel fanboy.

Soldato
As I've said my 1700 and 4770 show no difference in desktop use.

Yep,I have an IB Core i7 and mates have Haswell/Skylake Core i7 chips - one of them with an older rig decided to build a new Ryzen 5 1600 with the MSI Tomahawk motherboard and performance seems decent enough - in day to day usage he has not reported any lags,etc and after having a quick play around it seem responsive enough to me. Another mate did a Ryzen 5 1400 one and he didn't say it felt any slower than his SKL Core i7 based one which he currently uses.

Soldato
*** QUOTE POST REMOVED ***

Wow, you really are angry.
It didn't fail you had either a setup problem or a faulty component. Assuming you had one at all that is.
We are no fanboys, most of us have been on intel since sandy/ivy.
I have a nvidia 1070- no fanboy I just want value for money. And at the moment intel cannot provide that for my needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Wow, you really are angry.
It didn't fail you had either a setup problem or a faulty component. Assuming you had one at all that is.
We are no fanboys, most of us have been on intel since sandy/ivy.
I have a nvidia 1070- no fanboy I just want value for money. And at the moment intel cannot provide that for my needs.

the components were the same between the 7700k and the 1800x setup.

to me it did fail, gaming performance was much slower, memory issues were a constant headache, vdroop issues with the motherboard/cpu meant voltages were a pain in the ass, slow cold boots, several reboots for memory training.

even annoying little things like mouse lag , all of these are well documented and common issues with ryzen.

Soldato

to me it did fail, gaming performance was much slower, memory issues were a constant headache, vdroop issues with the motherboard/cpu meant voltages were a pain in the ass, slow cold boots, several reboots for memory training.

even annoying little things like mouse lag , all of these are well documented and common issues with ryzen.

You didn't do your research, and expecting things to work from day zero on a brand new platform is foolish.

Associate
You didn't do your research, and expecting things to work from day zero on a brand new platform is foolish.

day zero? ryzen launched what? nearly 3 months ago, that's hardly 'day zero'

I expected the platform to perform as amd and their fans hyped it up to be, I even spent extra for the 1800x over the 1700 to try and get the highest clocks possible from the chip.

the ram I had I was not going to replace, because spending another £200 + for half the capacity kit I had seemed stupid, plus the amd reddit was filled with 'bios issues fixed ram comparability'

and I was disappointed, it performs much much worse in games than I expected, the mouse lag completely ruined playing cs go for me, and rainbow six siege.

in the division I get bad stutters that I never had before (both in dx12 and dx11 mode) in PvP when lots of action is going on.

because of the 20c offset in temp, my rad fans run much hohher than I would like, bios forces fan speed to ramp up at 70c, which is when the cpu is only really at 50c (in ryzen master) (not sure if there's a way to go past this locked limit on fan speed)

Soldato
day zero? ryzen launched what? nearly 3 months ago, that's hardly 'day zero'

I expected the platform to perform as amd and their fans hyped it up to be, I even spent extra for the 1800x over the 1700 to try and get the highest clocks possible from the chip.

the ram I had I was not going to replace, because spending another £200 + for half the capacity kit I had seemed stupid, plus the amd reddit was filled with 'bios issues fixed ram comparability'

and I was disappointed, it performs much much worse in games than I expected, the mouse lag completely ruined playing cs go for me, and rainbow six siege.

in the division I get bad stutters that I never had before (both in dx12 and dx11 mode) in PvP when lots of action is going on.

because of the 20c offset in temp, my rad fans run much hohher than I would like, bios forces fan speed to ramp up at 70c, which is when the cpu is only really at 50c (in ryzen master) (not sure if there's a way to go past this locked limit on fan speed)

Your literally the only person to state mouse lag. RAM has been mentioned that fixes are coming, that hasn't happened yet and it does take months to do it, not hours!! The games you mentioned such as the Division have tens of videos actually showing it much better and smoother on Ryzen over any Intel CPU which is funny that you brought it up.

The 20c offset in temp has been sorted about 6 weeks ago so clearly you just trash talking. Time to be done with troll and move on. Well done.

Edit: Also I have been on Intel/Nvidia all this time so am nothing to do with being AMD fanboy, can just clearly see a better product than what Intel have right now and what they are releasing at the moment to try and keep up.

Soldato

All of the above can be attributed to an immature release Bios. A sin maybe, but not a grievous one. On the contrary as the platform evolves it provides more confidence in Zen.

I too had the memory reverting to 2133 on occasion but now a steady 3200MHz is achieved. I have not got to the bottom of overclocking the CPU to its best, that is to come when I get a custom cooler.

As it stands it is a powerful platform with a huge scope for programs to develop and match its potential. I have not yet found its limits whereas with other AMD or Intel platforms it is readily apparent.

It is proven by the move to six, eight and more cores by the competition albeit at higher cost. This is still a mainstream processor though.

Associate
Your literally the only person to state mouse lag. RAM has been mentioned that fixes are coming, that hasn't happened yet and it does take months to do it, not hours!! The games you mentioned such as the Division have tens of videos actually showing it much better and smoother on Ryzen over any Intel CPU which is funny that you brought it up.

The 20c offset in temp has been sorted about 6 weeks ago so clearly you just trash talking. Time to be done with troll and move on. Well done.

Edit: Also I have been on Intel/Nvidia all this time so am nothing to do with being AMD fanboy, can just clearly see a better product than what Intel have right now and what they are releasing at the moment to try and keep up.

the 20c offset hasn't been 'sorted out

in bios it states the temp 20c higher (beta bios ch6 newest one) now ryzen master has been corrected, but that doesn't control my cpu fans does it now?

also I believe one reading in hwmonitor now shows correct temps.

the division has a stutter, approximately once every 50-70 seconds, when playing last stand (so not the benchmark which doesn't test the cpu) with 16 players and pvpve going on the stutter becomes noticeably worse, again please note this is during actual gameplay in last stand with lots of action going on.

Caporegime
Day to day my 1700 is blazing at stock clocks.

I've just started the witcher 3 from fresh, and the performance I'm getting out of my 290x I'm adamant is better than it ever was on my 4770K.

I can remember not being able to max witcher 3 due to my GPU, but for kicks I decided to see how it performs now and my 290x maxes it in a playable manner.

Klo

Klo

Soldato

in bios it states the temp 20c higher (beta bios ch6 newest one) now ryzen master has been corrected, but that doesn't control my cpu fans does it now?

the division has a stutter, approximately once every 50-70 seconds, when playing last stand (so not the benchmark which doesn't test the cpu) with 16 players and pvpve going on the stutter becomes noticeably worse, again please note this is during actual gameplay in last stand with lots of action going on.

Well it seems you are the unlucky one that's getting all the problems while most people are pretty happy with Ryzen. It doesn't indicate a fundamental problem with the product though just because you have having issues.

Soldato

That is not AMD, that is issues with the Bios from the board manufacture. AMD has fixed all their end the 20c side things. It is up to vendors to implement correctly, more to point if you know it is out by 20 just change the figure by 20c instead of harping about it!

And as said the division for everyone has been better, like every single report, we are not talking about benches here but actual gameplay.

I am done replying because you honestly just seem to want to bad mouth a company for a release of a new product/architecture. You clearly missed how long it took Intel to work out issues with their architecture when it was released and what happened with x99 which took 6 months to get the general stability and speed up similar to what Ryzen is going through.

Associate

Associate
That is not AMD, that is issues with the Bios from the board manufacture. AMD has fixed all their end the 20c side things. It is up to vendors to implement correctly, more to point if you know it is out by 20 just change the figure by 20c instead of harping about it!

And as said the division for everyone has been better, like every single report, we are not talking about benches here but actual gameplay.

I am done replying because you honestly just seem to want to bad mouth a company for a release of a new product/architecture. You clearly missed how long it took Intel to work out issues with their architecture when it was released and what happened with x99 which took 6 months to get the general stability and speed up similar to what Ryzen is going through.

funnily enough I had an x99 setup two or three weeks after release, and it was flawless.

the 20c thing isn't actually a bug you know? it was put there by amd on purpose to make the cpu coolers work harder on x series cpus to help keep temps down. they even said this in an article on their website.

my issue with it, is when doing intensive tasks the real temp (shown in ryzen master) is 60-70c, but in the bios and everything else that's 90c, the bios forces the fans to go up to 100% at high temps (even manual won't let you set a higher curve ) so I couldn't actually have the fans run as low as I wanted (often them screaming at 100%)

that is why it was an issue for me, that's understandable right?

the only 'reports' of the division ive seen are benchmark runs, or single player running through a simple mission with not much going on (much like the difference between single player bf1 and 64 player)

Soldato
funnily enough I had an x99 setup two or three weeks after release, and it was flawless.

the 20c thing isn't actually a bug you know? it was put there by amd on purpose to make the cpu coolers work harder on x series cpus to help keep temps down. they even said this in an article on their website.

my issue with it, is when doing intensive tasks the real temp (shown in ryzen master) is 60-70c, but in the bios and everything else that's 90c, the bios forces the fans to go up to 100% at high temps (even manual won't let you set a higher curve ) so I couldn't actually have the fans run as low as I wanted (often them screaming at 100%)

the only 'reports' of the division ive seen are benchmark runs, or single player running through a simple mission with not much going on (much like the difference between single player bf1 and 64 player)

Sensemi skew in bios fixes the temp offset. All problems you have listed either have been fixed or are being fixed.

Soldato

OK I said I wouldn't reply but I can't help it.

The x99 had a slew of issues very similar to Ryzen with regards to memory. It was widely reported just like Ryzen has been.

I never said that it was a bug, I stated AMD fixed how it was done/read from AMD and how each vendor wants to implement the ability to show the 20c or not is down to them. I can see that Gavin has replied to explain as such and how in that regards.

Not sure why you are struggling with a custom fan curve. No issues with that this end to set how needed to keep fans running as we want here. That seems to be user error there.

There are run through of people playing the division, you are either watching videos from initial release or something else. Also to bring up BF1 and 64 online, Ryzen also happens to preform best on the 64 online compared to Intel. So you are right it is the different between the two in which both favour Ryzen.

Soldato
OP
Intel could commercialize a v2 edition of the Socket 2066

http://www.bitsandchips.it/52-engli...commercialize-a-v2-edition-of-the-socket-2066

According to our sources, Intel could commercialize a new version of the Socket 2066 (Just like Socket 2011 → 2011v3), in order to support the 14/16/18 core SKUs.

The new socket will be necessary due to the pretty low TDP (160W) supported by the Socket 2066 (The current Socket 2066 was designed to support up to 10 core SKUs, not 18). The incoming 14/16/18 Skylake-X SKUs will probably have a higher TDP (200W+) in order to work at the highest possible frequencies. Between us, releasing an 18 core CPU that runs just at 2.5 GHz (All Core) could be counter-productive.

This is the main reason why the 14/16/18 core SKUs will be released in 6 months, in our opinion.

LMAO if true and big FACEPALM!!! :p

This probably explains why X299 LGA 2066 platform was originally designed to accomodate Skylake-X cpus up to 10 cores only. Higher core count cpus (xeon) were domain of the LGA 3647 purley platfrom as intel segmented Xeon from the HEDT platform for Skylake architecture.

By bringing 12+ cores (higher core count xeons repurposed) to X299 they may have to rejig the 2066 platform by releasing v2 motherboards :p

X99 didn't have this problem as it was designed to accomodate Broadwell-EP 22 cores xeon cpus from the ground up imo.

Soldato
Intel could commercialize a v2 edition of the Socket 2066

http://www.bitsandchips.it/52-engli...commercialize-a-v2-edition-of-the-socket-2066

LMAO if true and big FACEPALM!!! :p

This probably explains why X299 LGA 2066 platform was originally designed to accomodate Skylake-X cpus up to 10 cores only. Higher core count cpus (xeon) were domain of the LGA 3647 purley platfrom as intel segmented Xeon from the HEDT platform for Skylake architecture.

By bringing 12+ cores (higher core count xeons repurposed) to X299 they may have to rejig the 2066 platform by releasing v2 motherboards :p

X99 didn't have this problem as it was designed to accomodate Broadwell-EP 22 cores xeon cpus from the ground up imo.
Well, if true, I imagine that'll put a lot of people off of X299. Intel really do love releasing new sockets and chipsets, don't they? This is what happens when you intentionally hold back technology and aren't forward-thinking enough to realise a competitor could appear at any time (and it's not like they had no notice of Zen either).

GAC

GAC

Soldato
if the above is true intels X299 platforms dead in the water. unless you need the top end chips the lower stuff is even more pointless than it was previously as you cant upgrade your box down the line.

Back
Top Bottom