Skyrim remastered free for pc if you own skyrim already

Soldato
It's laughable how much they have milked Skyrim. It's a fun game but my god, how many different times will they release it!

Give us Elder Scrolls VI already!

I have so many different variations of it :

1)PC normal edition with all DLCS
2)PC Special edition
3)PS3 normal edition
4)PS4 special edition
5)Switch edition

Its because of idiots like me that the gravy train keeps on rolling.

Associate
If the VR update was around £15 - £20 I would have no problem paying for it seeing as I already own the standard and Enhanced version of the game anyway.

It's this kind of thing that will damage VR uptake. It's looking like everybody who will ever buy a VR headset has already bought one. They need to stop all this segregation of games between Oculus and Vive. There was no good reason to make Fallout VR incompatible with Oculus controllers and now, ironically, the Vive controllers don't play too nicely with Skyrim VR.

It's all just so "meh"

Associate
I don't see why its £40. For example Wipeout on PS4 got a VR update and thats free if you own the game already.
Greed. They already set a precedent with the special edition version that people double dipped on so they know they can do it.

Payday 2 has full VR support too and they aren't asking for full price again.

Granted, Skyrim has worked in the touch controllers and you can wave your hands around rather than it just being a 3D world with headtracking. But it's still just a bitter pill to swallow for such an old game. If they charged £40 on release for the original game then that takes into consideration all of the assets that they had to put into the game. This time around they've just bolted on VR with a not particularly brilliant motion control setup.

Gamers really are their own worst enemies. They are incapable of acting in their own best interests. I don't know of any other market that does this kind of thing so regularly.

Interestingly the developers of LOTR: Shadow of War have announced the removal of micro-transactions completely from the game. So why were they implemented in the first place? It sure as hell isn't because they added value to the game, but because people are suckers and buy them. Now that the sales have all dried up they are just hoping to catch a second wave of buyers, like myself, who ran a mile when they announced micro-transactions in a single player game.

Last edited:
Associate
I suppose they'd justify charging for the VR version because of the remaster being free to existing owners...I can't see it staying at around £40 though...would wager it'll plummet to around half that in no time.

Associate
Greed. They already set a precedent with the special edition version that people double dipped on so they know they can do it.

Payday 2 has full VR support too and they aren't asking for full price again.

Granted, Skyrim has worked in the touch controllers and you can wave your hands around rather than it just being a 3D world with headtracking. But it's still just a bitter pill to swallow for such an old game. If they charged £40 on release for the original game then that takes into consideration all of the assets that they had to put into the game. This time around they've just bolted on VR with a not particularly brilliant motion control setup.

Gamers really are their own worst enemies. They are incapable of acting in their own best interests. I don't know of any other market that does this kind of thing so regularly.

Interestingly the developers of LOTR: Shadow of War have announced the removal of micro-transactions completely from the game. So why were they implemented in the first place? It sure as hell isn't because they added value to the game, but because people are suckers and buy them. Now that the sales have all dried up they are just hoping to catch a second wave of buyers, like myself, who ran a mile when they announced micro-transactions in a single player game.

I get what you are saying, but they can charge this much for the VR version because there isn't any made for VR open world games that can compete as there is non. If there were other options that compared that were original, then I think charging £40 would struggle. As we are still in the early days, I have no problem with a few older (actually good for performance) AAA games with a VR version, free would be great. But if it comes and there is no new VR games that compare, I have no problem paying again.

I'm going to guess it's be like this for the next couple of years. If a big AAA takes a few years to develop, maybe now there are a few more VR headsets in home, we'll see VR games getting bigger. But maybe still a couple of years away from made for VR witchers etc. Until then, except for some of the Oculus funded titles, we will continue to pay over the odds compared to 2d titles. Most VR titles are very expensive when compared to similar sized 2d games.

Playing this old title, in VR still beats anything in 2d for immersion.

Associate
@Sc00p007 but the danger is that it cannibalises the market. If their first thought is to maximize profits rather than to make compelling games in VR then it is going to stifle the platform. More people will be put off of VR because of it.

Releasing the game at a reasonable price would foster goodwill and would encourage people to perhaps buy into VR if they haven't already. But the message from Bethesda is "hey you mugs, empty your wallets AGAIN".

I will likely buy this game but only if it drops to below £20 AND if no alternative games appear in that time. I'm already having plenty of fun in Project Cars 2 which did not need a new release just to play VR and plenty other games that didn't need a paid for expansion.

I enjoyed Skyrim, I still enjoy Skyrim, my kids enjoy Skyrim. But not enough to triple dip for the privilege of playing in VR

Soldato
Reinstalled it, been on my mind for so long I have to play it yet again.. It's an addiction!

Been a while since I played, How do I find out what ENB I am using? Like natural tamriel, etc. Not the version itself.

OK sorted that.

Last edited:
Associate
@Sc00p007 but the danger is that it cannibalises the market. If their first thought is to maximize profits rather than to make compelling games in VR then it is going to stifle the platform. More people will be put off of VR because of it.

Releasing the game at a reasonable price would foster goodwill and would encourage people to perhaps buy into VR if they haven't already. But the message from Bethesda is "hey you mugs, empty your wallets AGAIN".

I will likely buy this game but only if it drops to below £20 AND if no alternative games appear in that time. I'm already having plenty of fun in Project Cars 2 which did not need a new release just to play VR and plenty other games that didn't need a paid for expansion.

I enjoyed Skyrim, I still enjoy Skyrim, my kids enjoy Skyrim. But not enough to triple dip for the privilege of playing in VR

Yeah, and the farce which was FO4VR. You cant even use the telescopic sights properly... for a full price VR conversion from a major publisher? wtf. I bet even the modders could do a better job with the sights if they were allowed. Didnt get my money

wnb

wnb

Soldato
I already have a version of this and would love the vr version but I'm not prepared to pay full price of it.

Associate
Yeah, and the farce which was FO4VR. You cant even use the telescopic sights properly... for a full price VR conversion from a major publisher? wtf. I bet even the modders could do a better job with the sights if they were allowed. Didnt get my money

Can't really bring fallout 4 vr, as this is a lot more optimised and works. Fallout vr is a mess for rift, as in not supported. Skyrim is not like that.
I didnt enjoy fallout vr because of the controls mess etc. However, Skyrim has been a joy to play.

Soldato
I don't think it's worth even close to the price, nor was FO4 VR. It looks nice in full 3D, but it doesn't play very nice for a VR game. The controls are frustratingly bad, they didn't put any effort in to that at all really.

Skyrim VR is a better port than FO4 VR, but that's not saying much.

Associate
Seems this game is marmite.... Many say its the vr game they have spent the most time playing and losing themselves in. The other half saying its not worth the price, doesn't play nice etc.

I personally think it is the best value VR game i have bought. I am lucky in that i only ever played the first hour.

Soldato
I personally think it is the best value VR game i have bought. I am lucky in that i only ever played the first hour.

Hmm I'm in same boat, only ever played the main game for an hour and now thinking about getting it. Have you modded at all? Can get out for 30 quid off gmg, might give it a go.

Associate
Hmm I'm in same boat, only ever played the main game for an hour and now thinking about getting it. Have you modded at all? Can get out for 30 quid off gmg, might give it a go.

I have about 30 mods active. Fallout 4 vr has been patched yesterday for Oculus rift support too. Found it for £20.

Back
Top Bottom