Skyrim VR steam page is up

Soldato
I played Skyrim in 2011. Amazing game and will probably be great in VR as it's so vast and epic. Closest I got to VR was playing some of Skyrim with my 3D glasses, that was pretty good. But anyway, how long can you guys keep the headsets on before it becomes uncomfortable? This game has so much to do in it you'd need to spend hours and hours and hours with the headset on.

Soldato
How long I can wear my headset really depends on the game. With Elite, it gets uncomfortable after a couple of hours because it requires a lot of focusing on text and small fuzzy objects at a distance so I'm having to re-adjust the headset occasionally to ensure my eyes are in the sweet spot for maximum clarity, plus I'm sitting pretty much immobile to use the HOTAS which is hard on the backside!

I've played standing/roomscale VR games for several hours and the headset comfort is generally better as I'm looking around more and looking into the distance, though it can be hard on the legs, especially if you haven't got much room to move around.

Associate
But anyway, how long can you guys keep the headsets on before it becomes uncomfortable?

I've regularly spent a couple of hours at a time in Elite Dangerous, though my record is probably about 5 hours in Minecraft back in the devkit days purely because of a community event (and those devkits could get a bit uncomfortable on your nose).

Recently I've been hammering the Rec Room Lost Isles quest on a weekend with some friends, and we've averaged 2-3 hour sessions in that. When you're involved in something like Rec Room which is very physical, you tend to forget about the headset - the thing that eventually makes you stop is that you've just had several hours of constant physical activity.

Associate
OP
I played Skyrim in 2011. Amazing game and will probably be great in VR as it's so vast and epic. Closest I got to VR was playing some of Skyrim with my 3D glasses, that was pretty good. But anyway, how long can you guys keep the headsets on before it becomes uncomfortable? This game has so much to do in it you'd need to spend hours and hours and hours with the headset on.
For me it’s very much game depenent, I play shooters mostly and I can play for 2-3 hours straight, it’s not so much the headset becoming uncomfortable, but more fatigue, twisting, turning, ducking in and out of cover and going from prone to sitting to standing gets tiring after a while, Skyrim I imagine will be a much more relaxing experience.
I can play Dirt Rally for a lot longer, as I’m sat down.
When the immersed in VR, you actually forget your wearing a headset, once you’ve fittted correctly that is

A fan near by defiantly helps, not only because it can get warm when wearing a VR headset, but it also helps the fogging of the lenses

Soldato
Yeah, it's probably a lot more comfortable with Rift or Vive, AND those prescription lenses you can buy where you don't have to wear your glasses. My only VR experience is Gear VR which is fun for what it is but tires my eyes out quickly and hurts my face/bridge of nose after 20 minutes because I wear specs, not to mention the low resolution.

Associate
OP
Just bought it from green man gaming, use code PAYDAY20 for 20% off. The code came instantly and steam is pre loading it now.

Very excited to play this, sadly I won’t have much free time this week to play

Associate
OP
Just had a quick go before work (79 minuites to be exact) runs REALLY well, even on my r9-290, very surprised! No bugs encounterd yet, plays great on Oculus, the only thing I’m not keen on is the controls, noting to do with Touch, but the in game controls, you can tell it’s not a game made for VR, there’s too many menus and button clicks that don’t really make sense (grab to exit and B and Y to scroll across for example) but I’m sure I’ll get used to it. There’s plenty of VR settings which is great to see.
Overall I’m very impressed, I can see myself sinking plenty of time into this.

PS. I haven't tried modding it yet, but according to steam community posts, although modding isn’t officially supported, mods work, as does importing existing saved games from previous Skyrims

Associate
Just had a quick go before work.

Although modding isn’t officially supported, mods work, as does importing existing saved games from previous Skyrims

Nice one, wasn't sure when this got unlocked. Now to spend the rest of the day thinking of driving home to fire it up. Oh god. What are the chance that I forgot to charge up my controllers and they're dead...

I hope someone does that awesome job of creating a mod list of ones that work and partially work in VR, like they did for Fallout4.

Soldato
A lot of people are going to spend a lot of time playing this...

Swinging a sword and blocking with a shield makes skyrims fighting instantly more enjoyable alone.

Associate
Well I jumped in and bought it even though the price is far too steep for what it is but I got it from GMG also so took the sting off a little bit.

Now the only trouble is downloading it as since moving house I'm on a paltry 6Mb connection and its going to take me around 4 hours 30 minutes :(

Associate
I only ever played the first hour of Skyrim when it first came out. I moved away a week after. Held out for the VR version.... I can see myself losing the next few weeks to this game. Just got to Whitehall, took 2hr30.

Soldato
When this is available for £20 or less I will buy it. It's very expensive for tacked on VR.
yep, you can 'mod' the SE edition to this release. Only a 139MB download is needed.

It was the same with Fallout 4 a small add-on patch to transform to VR, even use all the DLC and switch between pancake and VR.

The could have at least offered a discount to existing Skyrim users.

Associate
OP
For this on the fence, IMO this is the best game in VR, and by a long way too, GMG code PAYDAY20 for 20% off. I havnt stopped raving about this game to my friends in work since I started it! Got two coming round after work today to see what the fuss is about, and to check out VR in general
Currently playing as an archer, enabling ‘realistic bow’ and ‘crouch sneak’ in the options makes it even better!

I’ll stop going on about it on here now as I don’t want to come across as soon obsessed fan boy.

Associate
Played for about an hour and had to stop as I felt ill. I never get ill playing VR - even playing Fallout 4 for hours at a time. I wonder if the start where you can't move in the carriage kicked me off?
Anyway, what I did play was awesome, I may panic a bit when being rushed and may flail around a bit. I'm going to try for my usual stealth archer but the magic is so much fun.

Loving the setting. Having wandered into Riverwood at the start and being told about the ruins "over there" and seeing them on the mountain felt so real.

Back
Top Bottom