Slow nas uploads

Soldato
OP
From googling the above problems, I read a thread on their forums that said their router only gives the top interface speeds through the ethernet connection.

On the call to Plusnet earlier they didn't dispute this.

Soldato
Their router isn't restricting you. You're putting their router in a situation where it hasn't got much chance of working. Thick walls and wireless don't mix.

Your next ISP's router may be better, but no router is going to get a good signal through a 40cm wall.

Running external cables is often an answer. Two holes an a few £s worth of external grade network cable and you’ll get the full speed your phone line will support.

Soldato
OP
I don't need the fastest speeds possible, I'd just like quicker than I have. And If I can get 40Mpbs download through the wall on wifi I should be able to get more than 14Mbps upload on the NAS.

To be fair to Plusnet they have been great today. A manager there has said if their router cannot give me better NAS speeds through wifi, then they will give me money off or back, as a goodwill gesture so I can buy what I need.

Soldato
OP
Here is how everything is setup.

soFSMqp.jpg

It says the PC is only 100Mb/s and says the same when I look at the controllers settings in windows. The motherboard is a P6T Deluxe and should have dual gigabyte LAN.

Soldato
Have you checked your lan cable is capable of 1gb connections for the pc? If it’s not the connecting at anything better than 100mb the cable may not be able to do the 1gb speeds

Soldato
OP
Have you checked your lan cable is capable of 1gb connections for the pc? If it’s not the connecting at anything better than 100mb the cable may not be able to do the 1gb speeds

I don't know what the cable is capable of that's why I've ordered some new ones.

What Cat6a?

You only need Cat5e for this. Cat6a will obviously work, but it's overkill.

Haha I can't get anything right. I knew it was cat something. I ordered Duronic Ethernet cables, they weren't very expensive, £8.99 for 10m and £3.49 for 2m.
I also have a ssd that I will install when I open the case to put the card in.

Soldato
OP
Ok now we're getting somewhere.

I put in a new PCI Ethernet card and connected the CAT6a cable into the Plusnet Router and the network settings changed to a 1Gbps Full Duplex connection.

35MB/s upload speeds. That's just over a 3x improvement.

Soldato
OP
The cheque from Plusnet has arrived, so I'm now looking for a new router. I see Synology do a well regarded one. But if anyone could recommend another that would be great.

Budget around £200.

Associate
NETGEAR Orbi Ultimate-Performance Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System - Wi-Fi Router and Single Satellite Extender with Speeds Up-to 3 Gbps Over 4,000 sq ft, AC3000 (RBK53) just a tad over your budget at £280 but worth considering.

Soldato
OP
NETGEAR Orbi Ultimate-Performance Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System - Wi-Fi Router and Single Satellite Extender with Speeds Up-to 3 Gbps Over 4,000 sq ft, AC3000 (RBK53) just a tad over your budget at £280 but worth considering.

Thanks I will add this to the list. It looks good and would negate the need for me to get a better powerline.

Back
Top Bottom