Smartwatch Thread (news/apps/updates)

Don
Is there anywhere on the high street to find / demo the Gear 3? The reviews mention that it's quite big, I want to see what it'll be like in person before ordering.

Soldato
Is there anywhere on the high street to find / demo the Gear 3? The reviews mention that it's quite big, I want to see what it'll be like in person before ordering.

Check your local CPW or Samsung shop ..John Lewis also ..my local CPW is small one and has the S3 Classic in

here's image of S3 Frontier vs S2 Classic (should have polished those screens :p )

Er3PYfJ.jpg

Caporegime

I tried all around Glasgow, couldn't find one. In the end I decided not to bother, I doubt I'd use it and it's a lot of money for a fancy toy.

Soldato
Check your local CPW or Samsung shop ..John Lewis also ..my local CPW is small one and has the S3 Classic in

here's image of S3 Frontier vs S2 Classic (should have polished those screens :p )

Like the watchface on the S3...what is it?

Back on topic, my local JL had one of each of the S3s on display, so perhaps they are starting to filter in to stores?

Associate
Looks like Android Wear 2.0 will be launching in early Feb. Hopefully some new hardware will be dropping alongside it.

My Zenwatch 1 is showing it's age and will not be getting the update so time for an upgrade, but I am still not sure on what to go for. The Zenwatch 3 is currently overpriced and hard to get hold of so probably best to keep waiting and see what the new Google watches bring.

I do quite like the look of the Withings Steel HR but it is not android wear and only has limited functionality.

Soldato
I want a new watch, my 1st Gen Moto 360 is showing its age, battery life has taken a nose dive Also seems to be switching itself off even though the battery when I but it on charge comes on at 30-40%.

Caporegime
I love my moto 360 2nd Gen however the only thing I dislike is the bottom edge of the screen being blacked out.

It ruins the whole watchface for me and it's glaringly obvious.

Is there anything under <£300 which is better than what I have now and it has a full screen?

Soldato
Psycho Sonny;30482591 said:
I love my moto 360 2nd Gen however the only thing I dislike is the bottom edge of the screen being blacked out.

Is there anything under <£300 which is better than what I have now and it has a full screen?

The Huawei W1 Classic is superb, in my opinion is the most Watch looking smarwatch out there and can be had for under £199 easily!

However it does seem that the LG Style and LG Sport will be launching this week sporting Android 2.0 out the box so it will be interesting to see price points for those too.

All the watches I've mentioned have a full face screen.

Soldato
steve5424;30481057 said:
I want a new watch, my 1st Gen Moto 360 is showing its age, battery life has taken a nose dive Also seems to be switching itself off even though the battery when I but it on charge comes on at 30-40%.

Mine started doing that and just got steadily worse, ended up ditching it when I put it on upstairs and by the time I'd left the house mere seconds later it'd turned off...

Psycho Sonny;30482591 said:

Probably worth waiting for any new watches with the Wear 2.0 announcement, the 'flat tyre' was (to me) a minor annoyance but the benefit of auto-brightness was worth it, imo.

Soldato
Android Wear 2.0 is finally out, with the LG Style ($249) and Sport ($349) coming out on the US on the 10th, and the rest of the world in the "coming weeks": https://blog.google/products/android-wear/android-wear-20-make-most-every-minute/

Both watches have light sensors for auto-brightness which are hidden underneath the display: http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...s-use-crazy-in-display-ambient-light-sensors/

Android Pay arrives as well but seems only the LG Sport supports it.

Interestingly, seems all the antennas on the Sport is actually part of the band: http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...sports-bands-because-theyre-full-of-antennas/

Honestly not really liking the designs of the new watches though :p. Every other manufacturer seems to be very quiet on new Android Wear watches...

Soldato
SKILL;30483736 said:
Mine started doing that and just got steadily worse, ended up ditching it when I put it on upstairs and by the time I'd left the house mere seconds later it'd turned off...

Probably worth waiting for any new watches with the Wear 2.0 announcement, the 'flat tyre' was (to me) a minor annoyance but the benefit of auto-brightness was worth it, imo.

It managed to last 6 hours today and it was still showing 56% but now won't turn back on at all. Need to charge when I get home and see.

I didn't mind the black bit at the bottom. The Auto brightness is a great feature.

Hopefull 2.0 will bring some new watches, or at least help the prices drop on a few others. I really do love the 360 though.

Soldato
Orcvader;30483867 said:
Android Wear 2.0 is finally out, with the LG Style ($249) and Sport ($349) coming out on the US on the 10th, and the rest of the world in the "coming weeks": https://blog.google/products/android-wear/android-wear-20-make-most-every-minute/

Both watches have light sensors for auto-brightness which are hidden underneath the display: http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...s-use-crazy-in-display-ambient-light-sensors/

Android Pay arrives as well but seems only the LG Sport supports it.

Interestingly, seems all the antennas on the Sport is actually part of the band: http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...sports-bands-because-theyre-full-of-antennas/

Honestly not really liking the designs of the new watches though :p. Every other manufacturer seems to be very quiet on new Android Wear watches...

Light sensors = Good news!

NFC not on the Style = Bad news!

Honestly with the adoption of Android Pay/Apple Pay and Contactless payment methods in general you would have hoped they would have put NFC in both of the devices.

$249 for the Style compared to $269 to the Apple Watch...why doesn't it have NFC? Mind boggling decision for me in all honesty and a big disappointment in my eyes.

Also the Sport is no use to me, it's 14.3mm or something thick, that's way too munch for my slim wrist so that's out.

Looking forward to seeing what comes from 3rd parties especially Huawei whose watch I loved the last time, they packed all features in (apart from a Light Sensor) and their 2nd gen could be something special.

Back
Top Bottom