• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Snapdragon X Elite Reviews

Associate
Josh did an excellent livestream last night. Well worth a watch, as he goes beyond the normal "lightweight office apps" scenarios. Lots of issues along the way. I sat through the whole thing live - was a lot of fun. Basically, avoid these systems for now, until things mature and we get to see the new stuff from Apple, AMD and Intel that will release over the next 3 months or so.

Soldato
Plenty benchmarks show them trading blows, and this is on beta software. Also, when you consider performance per watt, it's a relatively easy win in most areas. About the only place it doesn't matter is for general desktop use where you're always plugged into the wall.

Agreed, and I don't expect x86 to die off for exactly this reason. There's a large market that Microsoft can eat into and this enables that move.

Again, I'm not advocating for either side. I'll gladly use Zen 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 200 in my desktop as long as the support is there, but I can never go back to an x86 laptop unless they can compete with the equivalent ARM offerings.

For me ARM on Windows has to make the argument for why I would pick it over something like a 15 watt Ryzen APU that’s very well supported across a host of operating system and applications. Not only that but, ARM would also have to stand up on stability, performance and price. Otherwise I might as well just cough up for a Mac.

Soldato
OP
For me ARM on Windows has to make the argument for why I would pick it over something like a 15 watt Ryzen APU that’s very well supported across a host of operating system and applications. Not only that but, ARM would also have to stand up on stability, performance and price. Otherwise I might as well just cough up for a Mac.
That's why I said it needs a year or 2, as did Apple Silicon. I've used a Windows laptop with a low power Ryzen APU and it just doesn't stack up anywhere near what the MacBook is doing - the IS just doesn't offer the same levels of effeciency.
Platitudes.
But fact.

Soldato
OP
Josh did an excellent livestream last night. Well worth a watch, as he goes beyond the normal "lightweight office apps" scenarios. Lots of issues along the way. I sat through the whole thing live - was a lot of fun. Basically, avoid these systems for now, until things mature and we get to see the new stuff from Apple, AMD and Intel that will release over the next 3 months or so.

I watched the same plus a bit from another creator and they were getting software updates mid testing; also mentioned several in the days leading up.

The whole release has felt rushed and x86 emulation, which wasn't a long-term issue for Apple, is going to plague them until enough apps have native builds.

Associate
That's why I said it needs a year or 2, as did Apple Silicon. I've used a Windows laptop with a low power Ryzen APU and it just doesn't stack up anywhere near what the MacBook is doing - the IS just doesn't offer the same levels of effeciency.

But fact.
Same reason X86 is not used in phones as where ARM is.

Associate

Pretty much sums it up - they don't live up to the hype.

Especially like the promotions running in America - buy a Copilot+ PC and get a free TV... bribery at it's best :D
Haha that is Samsung all over. They’re shameless, overprice their products then offer cash back or other items free.

• Haha
Reactions: R3X
Associate

Pretty much sums it up - they don't live up to the hype.

Especially like the promotions running in America - buy a Copilot+ PC and get a free TV... bribery at it's best :D

Haha just seen Samsung with their X Elite discounted to £1,109 plus 2x Galazy Tab S9 FE for free :D

Don
The whole release has felt rushed and x86 emulation, which wasn't a long-term issue for Apple, is going to plague them until enough apps have native builds.
Except you aren't going to get native apps for the entire back catalogue of Windows apps!
Emulation HAS to work, and HAS to work well, as people still rely on old software (and indeed old PC hardware) - not every piece of software is going to either be recompiled, or has a viable alternative that can be used.

It's a far cry from MacOS where the most commonly used apps are the ones that come with the OS, and a handful of big name apps from big name publishers (like Adobe, and even Microsoft)

Same reason X86 is not used in phones as where ARM is.
Main reason was that x86 chips weren't low enough power at the time

But that's an issue that is solvable IF there was a need for it.
Intel already have Gracemont chips that run <6w (by comparison an Apple A17 Pro is estimated at 8w) and AMD have 10w Embedded Epyc parts, so it's not an insurmountable problem

In the case of phones though the question would be why, as why would you need x86 compatibility, as you aren't going to run Windows with all it's bloat on a phone.

AMD and Intel can make better laptop chips without a doubt, but without Microsoft onboard to support them with Scheduler changes and the like their hands are someone tied. (And clearly Microsoft are no longer onboard because they want a bit of the Apple pie, with a controlled ecosystem)

Associate
Except you aren't going to get native apps for the entire back catalogue of Windows apps!
Emulation HAS to work, and HAS to work well, as people still rely on old software (and indeed old PC hardware) - not every piece of software is going to either be recompiled, or has a viable alternative that can be used.

It's a far cry from MacOS where the most commonly used apps are the ones that come with the OS, and a handful of big name apps from big name publishers (like Adobe, and even Microsoft)

Main reason was that x86 chips weren't low enough power at the time

But that's an issue that is solvable IF there was a need for it.
Intel already have Gracemont chips that run <6w (by comparison an Apple A17 Pro is estimated at 8w) and AMD have 10w Embedded Epyc parts, so it's not an insurmountable problem

In the case of phones though the question would be why, as why would you need x86 compatibility, as you aren't going to run Windows with all it's bloat on a phone.

AMD and Intel can make better laptop chips without a doubt, but without Microsoft onboard to support them with Scheduler changes and the like their hands are someone tied. (And clearly Microsoft are no longer onboard because they want a bit of the Apple pie, with a controlled ecosystem)
Going back in time, ARM was pushed for phones due its performance to efficiency. As its stands today, x86 chips still cant match that. Its not really even close.

Having listened to what Intel have said about their upcoming CPUs, I doubt they will be anyway near the likes of X elite and Apple Silicon with performance to efficiency. It would be great to see though.

Last edited:
Reactions: R3X
Associate
And who do you think is paying for that?
It's either Qualcomm or Microsoft, purely to try and drive market share.

If the product was any good, then it would sell itself and not need money chucking at it.
This is what Samsung do with all their products, not exclusive the laptops. They have offers and cashback deals running all the time.

I haven't seen any other snapdragon laptops with promotions as of yet.

Soldato
OP

I expect that the emulation is only going to be geared towards newer apps. Older x86 apps will forever live in the x86 platform, which is fine as it isn't going anywhere.

If Office, Adobe, various developer tools and languages, etc. have native ARM builds, that's a relatively large and varied audience to capture.

Soldato
I expect that the emulation is only going to be geared towards newer apps. Older x86 apps will forever live in the x86 platform, which is fine as it isn't going anywhere.

If Office, Adobe, various developer tools and languages, etc. have native ARM builds, that's a relatively large and varied audience to capture.

That are already very well serviced with a raft of products at various price ranges.

Back
Top Bottom