• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Snapdragon X Elite Reviews

Soldato
OP
That are already very well serviced with a raft of products at various price ranges.
Serviced but not very well serviced - plenty room for improvement as can be seen with the MacBook.

An x86 laptop is never going to give you all day battery life for anything other than basic web browsing. It's also never going to not overheat and generate noise under heavier workloads.

Soldato
OP
And currently neither is a Snapdragon Elite laptop :)

Remind me what the point is then?
Like I said, 1 to 2 years of development to see what they can make of these chips. x86 will never get there, at least not easily, whereas ARM implementations have already proven what's possible.

Assuming the software ecosystems gets the necessary development, there will be a large audience for these products.

Caporegime
Like I said, 1 to 2 years of development to see what they can make of these chips. x86 will never get there, at least not easily, whereas ARM implementations have already proven what's possible.

Assuming the software ecosystems gets the necessary development, there will be a large audience for these products.

X86 will never get where? And what has ARM proven?

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Some of these YT reviews are a horror show, one guy trying to download an app but the virus scanner auto deleting it.

And half these reviewers have spent thousands of pounds on laptops and gear and not one has a wall power meter to check wattage properly. One of the main points qualcomm has hyped over the last year.

Early days though, id like to see the Snapdragon Dev Kit reviewed.

Soldato
Serviced but not very well serviced - plenty room for improvement as can be seen with the MacBook.

An x86 laptop is never going to give you all day battery life for anything other than basic web browsing. It's also never going to not overheat and generate noise under heavier workloads.

You might want to check that.

Last edited:
Don
Like I said, 1 to 2 years of development to see what they can make of these chips. x86 will never get there
I'm more excited for Lunar Lake in a few months time -

Intel said that with Lunar Lake, it aimed to "bust the myth that [x86] can't be as efficient" as ARM.

Caporegime
Trouble is every time i see one of these ARM efficiency claims they are comparing them to really very inefficient Intel chips, just one of many ways its contrived.

It'll be interesting to see what they make of it when Intel takes that away from them, i have no doubt Intel are sick of being the butt of comparisons.

Last edited:
Reactions: R3X
Soldato
OP
I have, and i have watched reviews, i see no reason to switch to ARM and lots of reasons to stick with X86.
I can't imagine many will make the switch until the software is there.
I've lost track of their naming, but the latest core ultra whatever seems to have got something right. They've been promising improvements for a while now and Lunar Lake could be a real contender if the support is there.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Trouble is every time i see one of these ARM efficiency claims they are comparing them to really very inefficient Intel chips, just one of many ways its contrived.

It'll be interesting to see what they make of it when Intel takes that away from them, i have no doubt Intel are sick of being the butt of comparisons.

I can't imagine many will make the switch until the software is there.

I've lost track of their naming, but the latest core ultra whatever seems to have got something right. They've been promising improvements for a while now and Lunar Lake could be a real contender if the support is there.

Intel's done an good enough job but does feel it should be better, I have an Core ultra5 125 mini pc in front of me, with several tabs open on chrome and dual 4K screens on and YT 4K video playing back on one screen its hitting around 24-34 watts.

But I sort of expected a bit more better efficiency given the meteor lake most "efficient" cpu design hype talk, also AMDs 7840 has been around for a while now and those AMD mini pcs can get around 17-34 watts with similar cases and sometimes lower, so id say AMD mobile series is bit more efficient and with better performance overall which is why you see it less benchmarked more then both intels and snapdragons scores.

Next month AMD Ryzen Ai 300 laptops apparently, I think as good as Intel is and Lunar lake hype maybe they may just be a tad behind AMD at this point but lets see.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think for some reason lots of folk are confusing ARM replacing x86 which isn't going to happen, rather it will run alongside it and offer a different proposition. I am still annoyed that Windows phone died, and they didn't make a Samsung DEX style solution, especially with modern ARM being positively powerful for the size/power draw.

Soldato
yeah for general use or light business use these look promising. For £1100 they are way more powerful than our current biz and non technical teams work provided laptops are and much more powerful, double ram, 4-5 times battery life and better screens. We're mainly g suite with slack and some office software for these teams. For power users it's more iffy obviously.

Personally all the software I need for an adhoc laptop is native already. I have a mid size work laptop for dev work with a stupid intel CPU which thermal throttles all the time and abysmal 2-4 hour battery life and then a silly gaming PC for other stuff.

Soldato
How long before other ARM chips venders start making chips for laptops/desktop. Would be good to have competition driving performance up and price down. Also, not a fan of Qualcomm so would avoid anything from them.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
How long before other ARM chips venders start making chips for laptops/desktop. Would be good to have competition driving performance up and price down. Also, not a fan of Qualcomm so would avoid anything from them.
Apparently AMD are looking into it. Would benefit them in the server space as well although the likes of Amazon might prefer to stick with their in-house chip.

Back
Top Bottom