Snowpiercer | Netflix

Soldato
you could gain power from slowing down if it was as advanced as it's supposed to be especially if you were going down hill
Not as much as that perpetual motion engine apparently generates. It has to keep 1001 cars powered and warm against the crazy cold outside.

but anyway they should have just said its powered by a small reactor and never show it or talk about it again and not have the slow down power cuts..
Then there would be no reason for the train to keep moving. Mr Wilford could have just built a bunker instead. The story needs the train to keep moving, because it makes the story's setting more brittle, more fragile, because of so many moving parts that can break down. I think we're supposed to feel a sense of doom, that sooner or later, something will inevitably break that can't be fixed.

I guess technically the earth is frozen so nothings supposed to be moving on the continents and everything magically stays as it was.
There was an avalanche in the first or second episode, so not true. The unknown part is how they expect that track to have been cleared by the time the train circles back round to it.

does the train have heating or insulation? I get the impression it's just like a regular train in most of the carriages.
Presumably both insulation and heating. That's why losing power is such a big deal. That's why there's a minimum speed - slow down too much, you don't have enough energy to keep the heaters on, and people and parts start freezing.

like the tail end carriage is just a metal box? I bet most of the fluids in a train wouldn't work if it was so cold outside, most of the metal would be really brittle and probably crack under stress easily?
It's made of unobtanium, I don't know.

Like I said, these technical details aren't really what the story is about. What matters is the tension caused by the train being such a fragile thing, and that the outside world is so radically hostile to life. The point is that, while you may sympathise with the oppressed tailies, you worry that they could break some critical system in the course of their revolution, or kill too many people who have the skill to keep it running, causing human extinction.
Because that's exactly what happens in the film.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
The irony of this show is that its more fun talking about the utter idiocy of a perpetual train with magical track fixing capabilities than the actual show.....

If the he was such a rich smart arse then he would gave been better off building a space ship or maybe he just was a train nerd.

Caporegime
The irony of this show is that its more fun talking about the utter idiocy of a perpetual train with magical track fixing capabilities than the actual show.....

If the he was such a rich smart arse then he would gave been better off building a space ship or maybe he just was a train nerd.
or building a bunker a really big one, probably would have been cheaper

Sgarrista
Commissario
Ive got to say, for a switch brain off and just enjoy it show this is quite enjoyable. Looking forward to season 2, apparently its most finished but is held up by post production and corona.

Given the developments at the end of this series its not hard to consider maybe some sort of automated track repair system in place that re-routes depending on any un-fixable issues.

Caporegime
It's prompted me and the gf to watch the movie again last night. Blimey there's a few names in that film I'd forgotten were in it.

The series premise is so much more fleshed out and "realistic" it's good on reflection.

I mocked this at the start but it's a good device for pushing very silly political characters together in a very silly social environment.

Caporegime
Yeah i said that to the wife. It's huge, which makes you wonder where all that space is, if you think about the tail or some of the cafe style cars which just look like normal carriages.
the set is pretty cool I saw a steven ogg interview where he mentioned the train cars on the set shake around to simulate a trains movement

in my mind all the cars should be the same dimensions as the butchers car .
on real trains the only engines/motors are in the actual train right not in the wagons them-self?

in the series it seems different. so maybe some wagons could be more narrow because they have a little access tunnel going down the sides where the powered parts of the wagon are but it seems more like the wagons have some kind of maintenance tunnel under them
in real life when ever I saw any really long passenger trains it was always 2 trains connected together.
< ==========================><===========================>
so I'm assuming the only motors are in the actual engine and not the wagons or why would they stick 2 engines in the middle when it becomes inconvenient to passengers who need to get on and off the train to go from the back to the front..

I'm assuming in the real world the biggest passenger wagons are probably these
not my video, skip a few mins in to when the persons on the train.

the cars are pretty big but they are still stupid narrow.

you'd probably get one row of cows and a small narrow corridor along the side of the wagons.
so snowpiercer must be like twice as wide as any train on earth

Soldato
OP
Finally got around to watching this myself at the weekend, glad I waited for it to finish airing weekly as it was nice to get straight into the next episode when they ended on little cliffhangers. Apart from the trailer went in blind for this as I don't recall ever watching the film, apart from shaky acting in a few scenes and the outside CGI not looking that good I enjoyed it all the way through and looking forward to s2 if they renew it.

Soldato
Yeah i said that to the wife. It's huge, which makes you wonder where all that space is, if you think about the tail or some of the cafe style cars which just look like normal carriages.

Yeah this is probably something that's very much overlooked. Some carriages they've managed to squeeze an entire bar+dancefloor area, with one even having an aquarium. Whilst you look at the carriage with the classroom and can see windows on both sides where the width is no wider than two 2-child desks with a walkway between.

the set is pretty cool I saw a steven ogg interview where he mentioned the train cars on the set shake around to simulate a trains movement

in my mind all the cars should be the same dimensions as the butchers car .
on real trains the only engines/motors are in the actual train right not in the wagons them-self?

It depends on the train. Most of the HST's i've been on tend to have a locomotive at the front and rear and then passenger carriages in between. But the smaller trains that serve local routes (the ones that tend to stop every 5 minutes) have a locomotive/passenger carriage combo, usually because they're only a few carriages long, and having a separate locomotive on either end would be way overkill!

in the series it seems different. so maybe some wagons could be more narrow because they have a little access tunnel going down the sides where the powered parts of the wagon are but it seems more like the wagons have some kind of maintenance tunnel under them

From what i'd seen in the episodes, my interpretation is that all carriages have a maintenance section at the base of the carriage, one would assume for a 10-mile long train that a good number of the carriages must have an engine.

in real life when ever I saw any really long passenger trains it was always 2 trains connected together.
< ==========================><===========================>
so I'm assuming the only motors are in the actual engine and not the wagons or why would they stick 2 engines in the middle when it becomes inconvenient to passengers who need to get on and off the train to go from the back to the front..

I've seen them do this a few times in the UK, and it's normally when they need to move the rolling stock around especially if there's been cancellations etc during the day, then all the trains end up at one end of the country. Then not having two drivers means it's easy for them to just attach it so that the front train controls it all.

Soldato
I've just started to watch this, I'm 4 or 5 in now. He's just solved the crime anyway, not sure what episode that is.

Not sure whether to carry on with it. It's a bit odd. As many have said, the underlying question of why the hell are they on a huge train, not in a bunker somewhere does bug me.

Might hold on to see how they avert the disaster brewing (after the cow incident)

Back
Top Bottom