So err, What’s Happened to the Princess of Wales?

Caporegime
The only thing that erks me on the news is this

" Make sure you get yourself checked out, early diagnoses is crucial, doesn't always show symptoms "

So what do you do? Hey Doc, can you check my entire body out please... I'd like a full scan of my bowels, prostate, skin everything.

So no, you still need a symptom

Caporegime

" Make sure you get yourself checked out, early diagnoses is crucial, doesn't always show symptoms "

So what do you do? Hey Doc, can you check my entire body out please... I'd like a full scan of my bowels, prostate, skin everything.

Unless you literally have enough money to have scans.
I've had a few by choice due to symptoms that could be Cancer but probably aren't. (they weren't).
I had a headache non stop (ie perpetually) for 3 weeks. So I got a scan. And constipation so servere it could be seen on an x-ray. So I got a scan.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to pay.

You only have to brush off one set of symptoms and get it wrong and it's game over.

My partners mum was told by GPs... It's a bad back.
Its just a bad back.
Its just your muscles.

Eventually had a scan

Stage 4 cancer.

How much is a private mri? 360 quid for one body part. People pay more for GPUs!

They had enough (more then enough money) to get a private scan. But as many people do.. Didn't.

NHS has limited resources so it's going to brush off a lot. Especially when you're young.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Well yeah go see the doctor instead of just having x pain. 40 plus schedule a prostate exam etc

Last edited:
Caporegime
This raises an interesting point are you saying gpus are cheap or scans are expensive?

I'm saying that it's odd that people often won't pay for health stuff when it costs less than a GPU.

Especially when they (as many are) more than able to pay for such things.

I was able to book, get my scan and results in a week for 360

NHS could be 6 months plus for that.

Last edited:
Caporegime
My partners mum was told by GPs... It's a bad back.
Its just a bad back.
Its just your muscles.

Friend of the family had the same...

Doctors said bad back
Physio said syatica(?)
Back got worse
Hospital said take stronger pain killers
Back to hospital full scan, stage 4 Cancer

Guess if he was a Royal it would've been instant care

Soldato
If the NHS is trying to treat the entire population, then private healthcare is always going to offer ‘better’ treatment
why? the nhs should have a quality that private health care shouldn't be necessary. sure if private health only offered a 'better' comfier bed or a private room, fine, let those that want to pay for that privilege. but the quality of the medical treatment should be equal.
Can people not access better education if they pay for it? Better food? Where do you draw the line.
personally, i draw the line at education and health. the government should and could be providing both at a quality that private options are only for needed for those wanting 'plusher surroundings'

How many here who if they had won the lotto would join a waiting list due to morals and NHS waiting times over dying..

Not one.
no one is saying they wouldn't but everyone should be able to avail of the best medical care available.

anyway - apologies @rare, i've taken this completely off at a tangent and i'll say no more on it.

i genuinely do hope Kate makes a speedy and full recovery and i'm sure anyone with any decency feels the same. No one should have to endure what she is going through made all the worse by the need to make public announcements. that is most certainly something someone in her condition could do without.

Caporegime
I'm saying that it's odd that people often won't pay for health stuff when it costs less than a GPU.

Especially when they (as many are) more than able to pay for such things.

I was able to book, get my scan and results in a week for 360

NHS could be 6 months plus for that.
Ah yes I wasn't sure which way you were going.

I've found it's far easier to get medical stuff done in italy.
Around 120 euros gets you face to face with a consultant for whatever you need vs the UK GP battle

Caporegime

Doctors said bad back
Physio said syatica(?)
Back got worse

Yeah basically exactly the same.
Its horrible to see it first hand.

You know it happens. But you don't really know until it hits you personally.

Its so similar actually I'd almost wonder if you knew same person.
Unless it's that common!

Last edited:
Associate
I’m not making it sounds like anything? I’ve just stated that she is going to get treated infinitely better than most of us can ever dream of and she’ll be comfortable.

To blame her would be stupid. But it’s just as bad acting as if she’s going to have a cancer experience just as bad as any other regular individual, because she won’t. Is that her ‘fault’? No. But the fact just because she’s shacked up with the ‘right’ person and will get treatment many would kill for is bonkers to me

Though if you wish to put them on a pedestal above the rest of the population and think they’re deserving of this special treatment I’m not going to try and change your opinion
Do you have the same beef with every person who manages to obtain private health care or just Kate and the Royals?

Associate

Doctors said bad back
Physio said syatica(?)
Back got worse

They would probably have got the same instant care, if they were just ordinary people paying for private healthcare

Soldato
As for getting a GP Prostate check, if you cite having to get up twice a night to urinate and a difficulty emptying your bladder, you will get one. Men over 40 ish should get one and each five years after. I was tested at 65 leading to a removal of the prostate all on the NHS a good result.

As for royalist or republican there is room for both in this argument.

Associate
As for getting a GP Prostate check, if you cite having to get up twice a night to urinate and a difficulty emptying your bladder, you will get one. Men over 40 ish should get one and each five years after. I was tested at 65 leading to a removal of the prostate all on the NHS a good result.

As for royalist or republican there is room for both in this argument.
I get up fairly regularly during the night for a wee, depending on how much I've had to drink. Now on tablets for diabetes so even more if I take the recommended dose.

Soldato
This private HC argument is dumb. Many employers give you free private care now (BUPA etc) as part of your benefits package

Plus actual BUPA cover is not particularly high (£40pm) sure if your on the low - non existing end of the pay scale that's not viable but for everyone else £40 is nothing.

The biggest issue really is society doesn't overly care about health until they have a problem.

Soldato
Do you have the same beef with every person who manages to obtain private health care or just Kate and the Royals?

I’ve not got any beef with someone with private health care, no. I’ve not, at any point, said anything negative about private health care. At all.

What I suppose I do have a beef with is the royal family getting special treatment /care over the rest of the country just because they happen to have been born into or married into some family we are supposed to put on a pedestal above others. Just because.

The care she will get, just because she’s shacked up with a prince is going to be above and beyond what any other individual within this country, private or otherwise, will get. She will be prioritised above other mothers with the same disease, private or not.

So I suppose the question is: Do you think her life, is worth more than someone else who also happens to have private healthcare but hasn’t had the luxury of marrying into the royal family.

If you think that’s right or fair, I’m not trying to convince you of otherwise. I think the royal family is a stupid notion at the best of times but that’s just my opinion.

What I am not saying is that I do not wish for her to get treatment or wish her ill. I, like many people, have lost loved ones to cancer. I don’t wish it on anyone. So I wish her the best, it’s not her fault the world is the way it is but that doesn’t mean I have to agree with it.

Soldato
I’ve not got any beef with someone with private health care, no. I’ve not, at any point, said anything negative about private health care. At all.

What I suppose I do have a beef with is the royal family getting special treatment /care over the rest of the country just because they happen to have been born into or married into some family we are supposed to put on a pedestal above others. Just because.
Do certain private care policies in corporates not cover close family?

So really, you could say that about any partner shacked up with someone with a private health care policy.

I know people that have built up and sold businesses, grafting for 30+ years, now their family have the best policies money can buy, should we hate on them too?

You get people from all walks of life, there’s no point hating too much on everyone.

Back
Top Bottom