• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So what do you buy now?

Soldato
Was waiting for this announcement to se the price movements before buying a new rig. Was hoping for the 1070-1080 prices to drop when these new 20xx cards slotted in but it doesnt look like that is going to happen. I'm a bit peeved at Nvidia's cheek at the current pricing model and am now thinking to vote with my wallet and buy a Vega instead (or a 580??) any thoughts?
What have you got now?

Caporegime
Sticking with my 64, as i game at 3440 x 1440, a res no RTX card will be able to handle with the RTX on, seeing as the top card, the 2080Ti, struggles to even top 30fps, at only 1080p, so at my res, it'd be absolutely crippled.

Soldato
Sticking with my 64, as i game at 3440 x 1440, a res no RTX card will be able to handle with the RTX on, seeing as the top card, the 2080Ti, struggles to even top 30fps, at only 1080p, so at my res, it'd be absolutely crippled.

I thought the Kim was giving them away free?

Associate
bought a vega 64 with a block on it for 450 the other day. goes well with my cheap as chips UW 3440 monitor. i knew this was coming, i maybe expected mid tier cards at 1k next gen not this gen but i still expected it (regardless of what the card is called the Ti is mid tier there will be atleast 3 cards after it in the same gen).

Soldato
I've got a Titan X Pascal, I'm not really in any rush to upgrade right now. I was considering a Turing Ti until I saw the price and lack of bench marks.

The price and lack of bench marks make me suspicious of the general gaming performance.

Soldato
Its going to be a new build

Current rig - AMD8350 paired with a 280X
New Rig - Ryzen 2700X paired with 1070ti/1080 or Vega

I dont have a budget but i dont burn money for nothing - theres plenty other stuff to burn it on than an extra few fps
I'd definitely go with Vega particularly if you want Freesync/Gsync as you'll save money there too with Freesync.

Good Freesync 2 HDR 27": https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...-hdr-widescreen-curved-monitor-mo-235-sa.html

Good Freesync 2 HDR 32" curved: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...-hdr-widescreen-curved-monitor-mo-236-sa.html

Good Freesync 2 HDR 49" ultrawide only 3840x1080 resolution though: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...-hdr-widescreen-curved-monitor-mo-234-sa.html

Just to note, if your monitor was manufactured before October 2017 you'll have to update the firmware to get Freesync 2 HDR support. However, this can easily be done by the user with a memory stick. See the bottom of this page: https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...ming-monitor-with-quantum-dot-lc27hg70qqnxza/

There are cheaper non-HDR monitors too, just look at the Freesync range and make sure the highest refresh rate is at least double the lowest refresh rate as this enables low frame compensation so Freesync will effectively work from 0 FPS to max refresh rate FPS as GSync does.

Associate
My whole set up cost me less then the cheapest 2070. Granted, my PC is a budget gaming PC using a 1050Ti and I am not a hardcore gamer. These prices are mad though. The things you could buy instead..

Associate
I'm going to wait for the prices of the Gigabyte 1080Ti to drop below £500 (new only). I'm aware that they will probably sell out before that happens. So I will learn to love Windows solitaire because my 1050 bought as a stopgap card can run that.

I haz sad:(

Ree

Ree

Associate
you could actually build a decent desktop for the ridiculous £1500 that asus are asking for their card. people need their heads examined if they start paying these sort of prices.

Soldato
I was hoping to pick up a 2070, but now I'm not sure. Last card I bought was a 970, so I'm a bit out of the loop. I basically just want to upgrade my monitor to a 1440p 144hz and need a card that will cope with that, so i'm thinking a 1070ti or 1080 now..

Soldato
I was adament i was going to upgrade from my 980 to the next Ti card for some ultra future proofing, but not at those prices, when the 10 series first came out the 1080 was in the 500-600 range, all of a sudden an extra £100+ has been thrown in, And the 2080Ti priced the same as the almighty Titan Xp, I'll hope some price drop comes in the future.

The Titan XP is a minnow compared to the 2080ti which is a 60% bigger chip.

Associate
you could actually build a decent desktop for the ridiculous £1500 that asus are asking for their card. people need their heads examined if they start paying these sort of prices.

It’s all a shift towards financing paying monthly and people are stupid enough to just accept these things instead of speaking with their wallet.

Back
Top Bottom