• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So what do you buy now?

Man of Honour
Wasn't set on upgrading and the prices are too high for me to consider an impulse buy. I would quite like a 1080 if they came down in price a lot over the next few months but doesn't seem that likely especially with the exchange rate going south.

Associate
Compared to what?

Vega 64 has a higher TDP than a GTX1080 and generally the GTX1080 holds a slight performance advantage averaged across a sample of 27 titles. Here is a recent video from Hardware Unboxed who are generally very unbiased.

https://youtu.be/cJFm51OFcNA

Of course the elephant in the room is FreeSync support and that itself is probably tips the scales in favour of the Vega 64, especially at 1440p or higher.

I just wish I’d bought a truckload of 1080ti’s before the launch as once the benchmarks come out I think it’ll be the best value proposition. With the Inno3D GTX1080ti X4 Ultra at £670 last week and other models even lower they were a great buy. Bear in mind the RTX20XX series will be superseded by 7nm versions within the next 12-18 months. By then the technology and ecosystem will have matured.

Soldato
Vega 64 has a higher TDP than a GTX1080 and generally the GTX1080 holds a slight performance advantage averaged across a sample of 27 titles. Here is a recent video from Hardware Unboxed who are generally very unbiased.

https://youtu.be/cJFm51OFcNA

Of course the elephant in the room is FreeSync support and that itself is probably tips the scales in favour of the Vega 64, especially at 1440p or higher.

I just wish I’d bought a truckload of 1080ti’s before the launch as once the benchmarks come out I think it’ll be the best value proposition. With the Inno3D GTX1080ti X4 Ultra at £670 last week and other models even lower they were a great buy. Bear in mind the RTX20XX series will be superseded by 7nm versions within the next 12-18 months. By then the technology and ecosystem will have matured.
There's actually only a few game tested there between vega and 1080. Most of them are vega56 vs 1070. And not to be that guy but they could have chose more recent games

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_radeon_rx_570_and_580_mech_2_8g_oc_review,11.html

That review shows tonnes of games and shows there really is no clear winner its really all about what you play.

Soldato
I was going to build a whole new PC this summer, but decided to wait to see what this launch would bring. Now that Turing is here, I can safely say I won't be buying one. However, I'm not comfortable buying a new Pascal either (it would handle everything I could throw at it, sure, but I just don't like the idea of dropping a few hundred notes on two year old cards). So I'll probably upgrade the rest of the PC as planned, and then either buy a secondhand Pascal, or just wait for 7nm.

In the meantime, I'll get my gaming fix from the PS4 Pro I intend buying (along with a nice TV). I had been thinking about the Pro for a couple of months anyway, so it's not two fingers up to Nvidia or anything like that - I just fancied a few of its exclusives (here's hoping Spider-man is quality), and I don't want to wait for 12-18 months for RDR2 to maybe arrive on PC either.

So yeah, short-term - PS4 Pro and TV, with the guts of a new PC. If the PlayStation isn't scratching my gaming itch, I'll get a secondhand Pascal for the PC. Otherwise wait for 7nm, whenever that may be.

Also fancy a Switch, lol.

Associate
There's actually only a few game tested there between vega and 1080. Most of them are vega56 vs 1070. And not to be that guy but they could have chose more recent games

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_radeon_rx_570_and_580_mech_2_8g_oc_review,11.html

That review shows tonnes of games and shows there really is no clear winner its really all about what you play.

I think the RX580 is still a great card! Your absolutely right it depends on the games you play, what resolution you game with, and whether you want FreeSync or G-Sync.

Associate
I was going to build a whole new PC this summer, but decided to wait to see what this launch would bring. Now that Turing is here, I can safely say I won't be buying one. However, I'm not comfortable buying a new Pascal either (it would handle everything I could throw at it, sure, but I just don't like the idea of dropping a few hundred notes on two year old cards). So I'll probably upgrade the rest of the PC as planned, and then either buy a secondhand Pascal, or just wait for 7nm.

In the meantime, I'll get my gaming fix from the PS4 Pro I intend buying (along with a nice TV). I had been thinking about the Pro for a couple of months anyway, so it's not two fingers up to Nvidia or anything like that - I just fancied a few of its exclusives (here's hoping Spider-man is quality), and I don't want to wait for 12-18 months for RDR2 to maybe arrive on PC either.

So yeah, short-term - PS4 Pro and TV, with the guts of a new PC. If the PlayStation isn't scratching my gaming itch, I'll get a secondhand Pascal for the PC. Otherwise wait for 7nm, whenever that may be.

Also fancy a Switch, lol.

The PS5 is due next year, most likely for holiday season, as you have access to the market you could see if there are any good deals on 1080 or 1080ti’s.

Associate
I've said this in a couple of other threads, but seriously considering selling my i7/32GB RAM/1080 PC and migrating to a gaming Laptop (c.£1,000 range, a 1060 FHD based model). Simple reason is that I've already starting gaming on console again and I fancy downsizing to a smaller computer for the PC games I want to play. Means I can clear some space in my office which is tempting.

Even the 2070 price is just too much for me to stomach.

Soldato
The PS5 is due next year, most likely for holiday season, as you have access to the market you could see if there are any good deals on 1080 or 1080ti’s.

I hadn't heard anything concrete on a PS5 release myself, but I'll have a huge backlog of PS4 titles to get through either way. And yeah, will be checking out the MM here alright!

Associate
i built this pc in 2011, upgraded graphics in 2015 and i have the money to upgrade but i cannot justify upgrading any of it again at these prices and will stick to being a console peasant.

Back
Top Bottom