• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So whos gone and got a 680 gtx then?

What sort of temps are people getting on their 680?

I'm getting 30C idle, 78C after two hours of BF3 and Crysis Warhead. Is this normal?

The card is very quite, but does have the occasional capacitor whine under specific circumstances, mainly menus and extremely high fps scenarios. Luckily it doesn't happen under normal gaming though.

Not done much testing, but performance seems as expected from the benchmarks I've seen. Going from an MSI GTX 580 Twin Frozr (OC) to a Palit GTX 680 I got the following:

- I went from about P7000 to P9700 in 3DMark11.

- BF3 seems a lot smoother and I can now easily play at Ultra settings at 1080p, whereas with the 580, MSAA had to be disabled. Not done any benchmarks though, just ran around with an fps counter.

- Crysis is a bit faster, 48 fps to 59 fps using the Crysis benchmark tool, at 1080p/Very High/4xAA.

- Here are my STALKER CoP benchmark runs at 1080p , every possible setting maxed out:

scaled.php

scaled.php

I think if you have a 580 already, it's not really worth it even in BF3. If I still had my 5870 the upgrade would have definitely been worth it though, even with it's £420 price tag. So I guess it depends on what you're coming from but other than that it's an excellent card. Also everything just works which I didn't expect from a card that's just one week old. Drivers are also working perfectly, no issue there.

Last edited:
Please can you tell me what settings you put in Precision X to get that OC? And is it air cooled?
I was using the stock air cooler and had power at 115%, +165MHz core, +300Mhz memory. I increased the fan curve to keep temperatures down below 70C. That was stable for 3DMark11 and Heaven. GPU-Z and PrecisionX show different readings because of the boost feature but it was showing 1230MHz for the boost speed in GPU-Z and as 1254MHz in PrecisionX when gaming.

Now I've turned my settings to 110%, 153MHz, 206MHz which is much quieter for everyday use. The temperature makes a big difference to stability, as I can get a really high overclock if I crank up the fan - they'd be ideal cards for watercooling. At the moment my card stays below 70C when gaming and it's usually around 60-65C.

To give you an idea of how clock speeds affect benchmarks, these are the settings and corresponding 3DMark11 scores:

Stock: 9228
100/105 9790
153/130 9995
171/130 10,060
188/350 10,814

i will but not at that price. i refuse this price inflation we have seen over the years. i miss the days of the 8800gtx and 4870 which offered great performance at reasonable prices. this whole £400-500 pricing is getting out of control. inflation/exchange rates are no where close to that. smells like collusion

anyway it looks like a really good card, but i'll wait until it hits closer to the £300 sweet spot. no rush, since i don't play any games which my current card can't manage. hopefully it will be more reasonably priced when i upgrade my rig when Win 8 hits the street.

just my 2 cents ;)

Just bought one with the Benq plus 3d Vision bundle, very happy with my purchase! Really enjoying the 3D aspect, wasn't sure if it was going to be worth it, but I love it, adds a new dimension to the game (no pun intended).

i will but not at that price. i refuse this price inflation we have seen over the years. i miss the days of the 8800gtx and 4870 which offered great performance at reasonable prices. this whole £400-500 pricing is getting out of control. inflation/exchange rates are no where close to that. smells like collusion

anyway it looks like a really good card, but i'll wait until it hits closer to the £300 sweet spot. no rush, since i don't play any games which my current card can't manage. hopefully it will be more reasonably priced when i upgrade my rig when Win 8 hits the street.

just my 2 cents ;)

Considering I purchased BFG 8800GTX months after release for £363 and £380 for a 8800 ultra after release when you take inflation into account the £390 I paid on Day 1 for a GTX 680 is rather good (and it saved me 400W on my total system draw as well compared to my 480 SLI)

What sort of temps are people getting on their 680?

I'm getting 30C idle, 78C after two hours of BF3 and Crysis Warhead. Is this normal?

The card is very quite, but does have the occasional capacitor whine under specific circumstances, mainly menus and extremely high fps scenarios. Luckily it doesn't happen under normal gaming though.

Not done much testing, but performance seems as expected from the benchmarks I've seen. Going from an MSI GTX 580 Twin Frozr (OC) to a Palit GTX 680 I got the following:

- I went from about P7000 to P9700 in 3DMark11.

- BF3 seems a lot smoother and I can now easily play at Ultra settings at 1080p, whereas with the 580, MSAA had to be disabled. Not done any benchmarks though, just ran around with an fps counter.

- Crysis is a bit faster, 48 fps to 59 fps using the Crysis benchmark tool, at 1080p/Very High/4xAA.

- Here are my STALKER CoP benchmark runs at 1080p , every possible setting maxed out:

scaled.php

scaled.php

I think if you have a 580 already, it's not really worth it even in BF3. If I still had my 5870 the upgrade would have definitely been worth it though, even with it's £420 price tag. So I guess it depends on what you're coming from but other than that it's an excellent card. Also everything just works which I didn't expect from a card that's just one week old. Drivers are also working perfectly, no issue there.

Nice honest post, Thanks

If it was my card I would put a fan profile in Nvidia control panel (will require system tools) or Afterburner or equivalent and try to keep it in the 60's c, sure you should be able to have best of both worlds with this card ;)

Also as above posts extra performance benefits available if required when you keep the temps down.

I have to say that the 680GTX is really a big improvement on my old HD5870. Ran a quick Crysis 2 benchmark; minimum framerates almost doubled from 7.4 to 13.7 and average framerates went from 26.0 to 65.1. A massive difference and playing in-game is now effortless at 1080p DX11 ultra quality whereas before it was often a stuttering slide-show. And it's so quiet compared to my old card also. I haven't bothered to overclock yet but I don't really think I need to. All in all, I am very happy, despite it costing the thick end of £450.

wtf at the fan on these cards? got the side of the case off to test and playing bf3 was at 74c and i couldn't even hear it above the admittedly kinda noisy case fans, very impressive

games play with similar/better framerates than my old gtx 560ti 2gb sli, everything is playable maxed on a single screen in 3D vision also

MUCH better to be able to have 3/4 screens enabled without having to enable/disable sli, shame it won't do 3 x 120hz screens without rip off adaptor or sli though

00J5B.png

I can agree and confirm that these cards run REALLY quiet!! Just been playing ME3 (amazing game but weird ending) for 4 hours and the card was completely inaudible! My HDD's make all the noise now -_-...

My room actually feels colder than it did when I had the 580. :(

You see, that's what people would forget. Even tho 480's are hot and use more power, You never needed to put the heating on when using your system.

So you broke even with the power used by the 480, on your heating bill. :D

Installed mine last night and it doesn't help much with mine, only 20mhz on the core even though the temps only get to 45 max although i wasn't expecting it to really.

Back
Top Bottom