• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sod it I'm buying a 4080

Soldato

The other option is to buy the 6900 for £699 now and buy another GPU later on. The 6900 is still a cracking GPU and doesn't have any of the issues that you mentioned.

Yes exactly, good (all things considered) deals to be had on 6 series AMD cards now, depends what you need, but even for 1440p something like a 12gb 6700xt is a pretty decent card, and a lot less than dropping £1000+ on a GPU.

Associate
Title says it all really, I was open to buying an AMD card but they havent blown the doors off, 4090s are just not viable cost wise when I have a house to run and bills to pay, all the used 3090s have probably done more mining than a Chilian rescue team, so your only left with two options really...a 3080 or 4080, and if you budgeted about 1000 then you can stretch that little further to the 4080 I guess...that's what I'm doing anyway.
Only question is do you wait or get it ordered for the holiday....
I ordered a 7900xtx but it was sold out for couple of minutes I thought I buy a 4080 but maybe I just wait a little bit.

Associate
OP
Now, no need for that kind of comments folks, I think its perfectly reasonable to have a budget for this kind of thing...yes I have bills to pay, who doesn't? unless you still live with mum and dad?

I think around 1000 is a high max figure to spend on something like a GPU but I use it pretty much everyday and my kids play as well and the 2070s is showing its age so...time for a new one.

I have other hobbies that require cash and the kids hobbies need cash and their 100 quid trainers every other day it seems so having a budget for stuff is just something grown ups do, but its nice to come on hear and get folks thoughts on how best to splash about grand on a GPU.

That said Im kind of feeling myself getting pulled to a 4090 as I can put i through my company (Sole trader - nothing spectacular) as a company expense.

Soldato
proabably cause his hobby is being priced out of reach for lots of people and its just boring work to live **** apart from that :p

That's the problem I have. Computing has never been my "I can always justify any amount of money" hobby. I used to buy a new GPU every two years but now I have to reconsider the options. Simple fact is that I can not justify over £1000 every two years. I am reeling at the moment, trying to re-adjust my expectations. It was a fun little hobby to see the latest hardware and get all excited to see the performance gains with the latest card. But now it's just frustrating to see what they are doing to the market....it's like NVIDIA and AMD have taken Christmas away!! Humbug!

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just spent over £1200 on my kids xmas presents so money isn't an issue, its Nvidia's prices and I'm not going to be taking for a ride and buy a product where its clearly worth no where near what they are asking.

Associate
I've just spent over £1200 on my kids xmas presents so money isn't an issue, its Nvidia's prices and I'm not going to be taking for a ride and buy a product where its clearly worth no where near what they are asking.
the only one that makes any viable sense is the 4090, anything lowerr is too cut down for the inflated prices, and even then a 4090 is at the very top end of the considered price range

Associate
1200 on your kids presents seems a lot if it's 1 kid, but if you've got about 12 kids...

If it's just the one and you fancy adopting me, just let me know.

Soldato
Well, I'm glad I picked up my 6900xt for £550 when it was on offer here. The prices for these new cards, even though they're miles ahead of the last gen, are outrageous.

I'm 1440p though so I feel like I'm gonna be good for a long while.

Honestly thinking this is the best thing to do. Just keep a generation behind. When the 7900 XTX has a similar end of generation heavy discounting, upgrade then. You save about half the depreciation and you still always have a high end system. It’s not like the 6900xt is now performing worse since the 7900 cards came out. It’s still an excellent card (I have a 6950XT).

Last edited:
Soldato
1200 on your kids presents seems a lot if it's 1 kid, but if you've got about 12 kids...

If it's just the one and you fancy adopting me, just let me know.
Its actually 2 but the point is I don't mind spending money when its worth it but the 4080 is not worth it to me until it hits £700.

Associate
Its actually 2 but the point is I don't mind spending money when its worth it but the 4080 is not worth it to me until it hits £700.
No, I'm in complete agreement. I have the money to spend on things that I think are worth the money. Sometimes it's nice to spend a bit more if you really want something but the 4080 price just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Associate
OP
3090s are 850 new now...thats tempting, but then you get into the whole well if I add "just" 300 more thats 4080 money...lol
My son is slaughtering me on Company of heroes 2 every night and my g-sync only monitor is 3440*1440 so the 3090 would be just fine....but £850 for just fine? I want to play cyberpunk @100fps etc so ill probably go 4090fe when they show up again, or a 4090 at the same price, or 4080 if they go below a grand...in other words still no idea what Ill do...lol

Associate
If Nvidia had called this a 4070 and priced it at £1200 would you still have bought one?

48% performance over a 3080 for 85% more cash is not good value, its actually terrible value and a massive regression in price to performance.

Is it really that amazing to spend £1200 get 100 fps on a game made in 2007 that was specifically redesigned to make the cards look good or a reskinned game from 2015?

The 4090 is the halo product so you could argue that it commands a premium price, you might not like the higher price tag but by buying cards like the 4080 for silly money your just telling Nvidia your happy to pay more for less so don't moan when you come to upgrade next time around if Nvidia is trying to sell you an even more cut down card for 4090 money.
No Because I would have bought 4080 regardless. This generation I am happy to have the second best! So if the 4070 £1200 the 4080 would have been 4090 money, and the 4090 would have been obscene money over what it is now!

Back
Top Bottom