• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sod it I'm buying a 4080

Soldato
I think we all accept prices will rise but a doubling of prices over a single generation with performance only increasing by half that is unaccepable.

Absolutely. But so far I see no sign of people running out in their droves to buy AMD. They are gritting their teeth and hoping NVIDIA will break first. I think as soon as NVIDIA drop the price by £200 people will give a huge sigh and claim a major victory for gamers - completely forgetting that even at £200 less the 4080 is still 40% or so more expensive than the previous generation.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Went the 4090 route in the end

Gainward GeForce RTX 4090 Phantom 24GB GDDR6X PCI-Express Graphics Card​

Should be in in the UK on the 22nd seemingly so I might get it for xmas, pretty much the same price as the FE4090 is at the minute.

Soldato
No Because I would have bought 4080 regardless. This generation I am happy to have the second best! So if the 4070 £1200 the 4080 would have been 4090 money, and the 4090 would have been obscene money over what it is now!
It'll be 4th or 5th best in a few months and probably cost sub 1000 also.

Soldato
So do I and I got mine 2 years ago for half the price. ;)

Sadly this is the new norm we've moved up a price bracket to £1000-£2000 and I cant see it going back the way the world is. I dont think we will ever see cards be completely below £1000 in the mid/top tier bracket. Used to be a time when just the Titan was that high or an AMD special. Makes you shudder how much the 4060ti and lower end will be when they appear.

Last edited:
Soldato
Absolutely. But so far I see no sign of people running out in their droves to buy AMD. They are gritting their teeth and hoping NVIDIA will break first. I think as soon as NVIDIA drop the price by £200 people will give a huge sigh and claim a major victory for gamers - completely forgetting that even at £200 less the 4080 is still 40% or so more expensive than the previous generation.
As a long time AMD users, I have to say AMD have really dropped their ball with this launch (overall). They had the right cards at their hands but they played it badly.

They really shot their foot with the 7900XT in their attempt to upsell their 7900XTX. In their attempt to make the XTX look more appealing than the XT, they inadvertently made the poorly received 4080 look more appealing.

They should have launched the XT either within 10% of the XTX performance of the XTX at current pricing, or launched it at around £750~£799 at current performance. Had they done that, they could have tempted some Nvidia users to considering going AMD instead.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sadly this is the new norm we've moved up a price bracket to £1000-£2000 and I cant see it going back the way the world is. I dont think we will ever see cards be completely below £1000 in the mid/top tier bracket. Used to be a time when just the Titan was that high or an AMD special. Makes you shudder how much the 4060ti and lower end will be when they appear.

I don't agree. I think this situation is pretty unique in that Nvidia are still sitting on a ton of 3000 series cards so they don't want to drop prices and they are trying to long game it so that they're not forced to offer the AIB's rebates on the old stock to help retailers shift it.

I'm not in the UK but I can find AIB 4080's for below MSRP - if retailers are doing that off their own bat in Asia then I would expect Nvidia to be a bit more realistic in Q1. They may even release ti cards at the current prices and slot the 4080 back in to closer to it's old pricing bracket.

Soldato
I don't agree. I think this situation is pretty unique in that Nvidia are still sitting on a ton of 3000 series cards so they don't want to drop prices and they are trying to long game it so that they're not forced to offer the AIB's rebates on the old stock to help retailers shift it.

I'm not in the UK but I can find AIB 4080's for below MSRP - if retailers are doing that off their own bat in Asia then I would expect Nvidia to be a bit more realistic in Q1. They may even release ti cards at the current prices and slot the 4080 back in to closer to it's old pricing bracket.

I think the real tell will be the 4070ti (or whatever they call it). What they call it and how much it is will cast a lot of light on what NVIDIA is thinking for the future.

Last edited:
Soldato
As a long time AMD users, I have to say AMD have really dropped their ball with this launch (overall). They had the right cards at their hands but they played it badly.

They really shot their foot with the 7900XT in their attempt to upsell their 7900XTX. In their attempt to make the XTX look more appealing than the XT, they inadvertently made the poorly received 4080 look more appealing.

They should have launched the XT either within 10% of the XTX performance of the XTX at current pricing, or launched it at around £750~£799 at current performance. Had they done that, they could have tempted some Nvidia users to considering going AMD instead.

It's a real shame. I really would have gone AMD this time, but AMD failed to convince me to change from NVIDIA and the 4080 is too expensive for me. Now I am just waiting to see how all this mess resolves itself.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't agree. I think this situation is pretty unique

the evidence suggests other wise. 2080ti over £1000, 3090 over £1000, 4080/4090 over £1000. Last two not even "top tier" The 2080ti set the precedent we wont see under £1000 for all GPU's again. 1xxx was last time. AMD are trying more so than Nvidia.

Last edited:
Soldato
the evidence suggests other wise. 2080ti over £1000, 3090 over £1000, 4080/4090 over £1000. Last two not even "top tier" The 2080ti set the precedent we wont see under £1000 for all GPU's again. 1xxx was last time. AMD are trying more so than Nvidia.
All of those cards bar the 4080 were the "top tier" card when released, the 2080 was £599, the 3080 was £650
This is the first time that BOTH the 90 and the 80(nonti) are over £1000

There wasn't a 2090 or 1090 as the 80ti filled that slot in those generations and the 90ti was called titan.

The 2080ti tried to set a precedent but it's steam ranking shows how utterly that failed. The 4080 they only produced 30k units for launch and it still sat on shelves, they tried with the 2080ti and it failed big time, so is the 4080. And that was with the 2080ti being the top tier in terms of mm2, the 4080 isn't even a cut down 4090, it's an actual lower tier of chip with a much smaller mm2.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Went the 4090 route in the end

Gainward GeForce RTX 4090 Phantom 24GB GDDR6X PCI-Express Graphics Card​

Should be in in the UK on the 22nd seemingly so I might get it for xmas, pretty much the same price as the FE4090 is at the minute.

Unlikely I am afraid, even if they land with us, DPD are now struggling massively with deliveries, their entire network is having issues due to RM strikes and cold weather. I hope it gets there in time for you but just setting realistic expectations.

Soldato
Probably slower than a 3080 for the same price.

Soldato
These prices are the new norm unfortunately. People used their wallets to vote for these high prices. Instead of blaming Nvidia or AMD, take a look in the mirror at the person who caused it :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
These prices are the new norm unfortunately. People used their wallets to vote for these high prices. Instead of blaming Nvidia or AMD, take a look in the mirror at the person who caused it :cry:
I think the miners were a large part of the problem in driving up prices as the hikes to msrp have always come after a cyrpto boom whereas most gamers have always been more reluctant to pay over the odds which is why sales are down so much now for the manufacturers as they were again with Turing.

Soldato
I spent seven months in the OC RTX3080 Queue ... I went from queue position 1017 to 117, then opened the Airlock and stepped outside.
So you thought you'd reward a company that sold your card to crypto miners and made you wait 7 months before cancelling and replacing them with LHR for twice the price.

Back
Top Bottom