• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sod it I'm buying a 4080

Associate
I bought one and I regret buying one and I'm enjoying having one. No one cares, no one cares. NO ONE CARES! I understand that. But I fell in love with the 3080FE and I couldn't get one. I tried and tried and mining happened and try try again didn't work. So I saved and bought the 4080. But now the sky is falling down because 4080

Soldato
I knew I might have issues trying another AMD GPU. Usually driver related from experience. However it ended even quicker due to hotspot temperature issues. Either the GPU I received was faulty or the reference cooler is very sensitive to location and air flow. Mostly it was a good card and ran the games I wanted to play at the sort of frame rates I wanted. I liked the compact design as it was smaller than my previous Inno3D 3080 and actually looked reasonable in the P500A case. I had some crashes but that could have been down to the overheating issues.

I needed a GPU to replace it and the 4080 FE was in stock so I received it yesterday. The install has gone exactly as I imagined. The GPU is working perfectly with no drivers issues. Temp, clocks and power usage are all rock solid. The 4080 is drawing 50-100W less than the 7900 XTX in the games I'm playing at similar frame rates.

Even better when installed vertically in my P500A case the temps only increased by ~3C when I closed the side panel. I thought I would have to either make a custom side panel or install in the normal horizontal position. I'm still considering a mesh side panel for when ambient temps go nuts again.

I'd rather pay less but I can justify it over the long term if I'm getting use out it everyday just like my car which cost an awful lot more but I enjoy owning and using despite it being far more car than I need.

P1oRABk.jpg

oE4atyq.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Consumer Rights Regulations exist for a reason. If you are buying any item that turns out to be a return and was not advertised as such, then it is the seller at fault and not the person who excerised their consumer rights.

I feel sorry for the shops though. I mean the margins on these things are not huge and every return is a problem for them. They can't just bin a £1000 card. I mean these are enthusiasts buying cards, they should research better. In my opinion people shouldn't be buying stuff so they can just try it and see. That sort of behaviour is ultimately just driving up the prices of things. I know, everyone thinks differently about this, that's just my opinion. I will not return something if it was my error.

Soldato
4080 owners will feel even more buyers remorse in a few months when nvidia inevitably cuts the price and slots in a much more powerful 4080ti at the original msrp.

And it's for that reason I don't think they will cut the price.

They might reduce it very slowly, but I really don't think they are going to dramatically reduce it overnight.

Soldato
And it's for that reason I don't think they will cut the price.

They might reduce it very slowly, but I really don't think they are going to dramatically reduce it overnight.
Cards are not selling they will have no choice unless they want to be stuck with a tonne of silicon like what happened to ampere, remember they ordered from TSMC during the mining boom and ordered a lot expecting huge sales.

Soldato
I feel sorry for the shops though. I mean the margins on these things are not huge and every return is a problem for them. They can't just bin a £1000 card. I mean these are enthusiasts buying cards, they should research better. In my opinion people shouldn't be buying stuff so they can just try it and see. That sort of behaviour is ultimately just driving up the prices of things. I know, everyone thinks differently about this, that's just my opinion. I will not return something if it was my error.

You are generalising that this is what all returns are for. I would say a lot more people would purchase with the intent of keeping but few days later it kicks in that they just spent £1000 - £1800 on a GPU and that it's probably worth more than the car they drive.

I sent a GPU back for return because the fans had a very annoying noise for me, they weren't loud just annoying. I would never have know that from any reviews.

Soldato
4080 owners will feel even more buyers remorse in a few months when nvidia inevitably cuts the price and slots in a much more powerful 4080ti at the original msrp.

The reason there is a significant gap between the 4080 and the 4090 is so they can slot a 4080Ti in there for about £1400. It will be about 10% faster than a 4080 with more VRAM and about 15% slower than a 4090, so the ePeen types get to claim bragging rights.

Soldato
Cards are not selling they will have no choice unless they want to be stuck with a tonne of silicon like what happened to ampere, remember they ordered from TSMC during the mining boom and ordered a lot expecting huge sales.

Yes but they will just reduce price by another $100 across the stack and be done with it. AMD have zero incentive to reduce prices on the XTX and even the XT is selling OK and lack of stock will incentivise people to go for the 4080 at it's current price (this thread is proof).

Neither Nvidia or AMD are panicking over prices and sales just yet and as usual it is the consumers who have no patience that cause it.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes but they will just reduce price by another $100 across the stack and be done with it. AMD have zero incentive to reduce prices on the XTX and even the XT is selling OK and lack of stock will incentivise people to go for the 4080 at it's current price (this thread is proof).

Neither Nvidia or AMD are panicking over prices and sales just yet and as usual it is the consumers who have no patience that cause it.
thinig that gets me is the pricing, its "only" 200ish diffierence between highest 4080 and the lowest 4090, are there people who would really buy a msi/asus £1450 4080 instead of £1600 fe or the £1650+ for partner ones?

only 4080 that would be maybe excusable to buy would be the FE at current prices but performance for that price is meh

Soldato
thinig that gets me is the pricing, its "only" 200ish diffierence between highest 4080 and the lowest 4090, are there people who would really buy a msi/asus £1450 4080 instead of £1600 fe or the £1650+ for partner ones?

only 4080 that would be maybe excusable to buy would be the FE at current prices but performance for that price is meh

Agreed on the price thing. Even though this always been true but in many cases you would save £100 - £200 and OC to within 10%, or even match the higher tier. The 4090 is 25% faster than a 4080 and no amount of OC on any 4080 is going to close that gap.

I now have a 4080 (used) that cost me £900 and even at that it's only a bit better than the price/perf of my older 3080. The 4080 is a great GPU that is fast, runs cool, efficient and quiter than the 3080 it replaced. In every metric it is better than the 3080 by a significant amount, apart from price/perf.

Associate
Agreed on the price thing. Even though this always been true but in many cases you would save £100 - £200 and OC to within 10%, or even match the higher tier. The 4090 is 25% faster than a 4080 and no amount of OC on any 4080 is going to close that gap.

I now have a 4080 (used) that cost me £900 and even at that it's only a bit better than the price/perf of my older 3080. The 4080 is a great GPU that is fast, runs cool, efficient and quiter than the 3080 it replaced. In every metric it is better than the 3080 by a significant amount, apart from price/perf.
yeah this fe card stays massively cooler than my old 3080 tuf despite pulling more power and fans only on auto curve! assume the 4080 is the same cause its pretty much the same cooler :D yeah i had no plan at all to upgrade this gen i was going to sit it out because of 4080 pricing, only the 4090fe interested me but as it was out of stock all the time i didnt care but then we got that 4hour in stock window and well, i know how that turned out for me:D

*edit* if the 4080 was around £900 like you paid i would have been a lot more interested in the card on release

Last edited:
Soldato
The reason there is a significant gap between the 4080 and the 4090 is so they can slot a 4080Ti in there for about £1400. It will be about 10% faster than a 4080 with more VRAM and about 15% slower than a 4090, so the ePeen types get to claim bragging rights.
No ones going to buy a 4080ti for £1400 when you can get a 4090 for £200 more.

Last edited:
Soldato
They will if Nvidia keep stock tight on the 4090 and keep the prices arounf the £1750 mark as they are now.
That's AIB cards, the AIB 4080ti won't be £1400 if that's what the FE will cost.

Within 3 months the 4080 will be cut to 1k although even that's a rip off and I certainly won't be buying one for that.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's AIB cards, the AIB 4080ti won't be £1400 if that's what the FE will cost.

Within 3 months the 4080 will be cut to 1k although even that's a rip off and I certainly won't be buying one for that.

I hope you are right o the prices, I just feel that history shows they will just plug the gaps with Ti versions etc. They may sell and they may not but the pricing will only change marginally. We aren't going to see £900 MSRP 4080s any time soon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom