• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sod it I'm buying a 4080

Soldato
I refuse to go above about £700 if it doesn't correct itself looking forward I can just see myself buying previous generation used cards

Not too bothered 3080 at 1440p if I was at 4K likely different story so should be fine and skip this generation and I don't need the latest to get good experience
I'm the same in that I downgraded my monitor so that I don't need to keep on chasing the most powerful cards, but I am still a little short. I would like to be in that comfort zone with better FPS. I will go above £700, but really not much, and if it takes several years, so be it.

1 more here, I would love a 4080.
I think it's worth £800 in today's crazy price increasing climate.
I am sure I will get one for that but its a matter of when.....I think February.

These cards might be selling ok but there is no way they are going to sell masses of them at £1200.
Nvidia will have a certain period of time before they can lower the price and not risk outrage from early adopters.
I think that time is ~ 3 months.
I think you are right on that price but I can't see them coming down that much in three months. I think it far more likely they will knock of £100 every now and then, until, well, until we buy them I suppose.

The real telling point will be when they release the other 4080 - the 4070ti or whatever they call it - in January. If they release that at a crazy price then I will just stop watching for a year or two and hope NVIDIA actually see sense later down the line (unlikely!).

The longer I have to wait to get a 4080 the more chance there is I will pick up a sale on the 7900xtx, and the less likely I will be buying the next generation. I used to buy every generation, now I have to accept that I just can't justify that any more.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had a 4090 but returned it and got a 4080. It was a £650 difference so no small change. In the games I play the 4080 does more than well enough at 4K. MW2 175fps, WoW DF 120-170fps.

Went with the cheapest 4080, it also fits well in my no RGB build.

DSCF0106.jpg
I'm sure the shop was not too cut up about that exchange!

Ooh, and nice CPU cooler there...!

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I'm sure the shop was not too cut up about that exchange!

Ooh, and nice CPU cooler there...!

Probably not since the 4090 went from £1829 when I bought it to £1950 when I returned it. The 4080 was £1189 which is a lot but provides similar experience to the 4090 at 4K in the games I play while being quite abit cheaper.

The Noctua Chromax stuff is great, the case has a further 4 a12x25 fans.

Last edited:
Soldato
If they release that at a crazy price then I will just stop watching for a year or two and hope NVIDIA actually see sense later down the line (unlikely!).
The US price is $899, so the UK price will be £900, for what is in effect a 4060

I've spent all day looking at new speakers, so instead of buying a new GPU i think JBL/Marantz will be getting my Christmas money this year

Soldato
So as a follow up to my buddy at work buying a 7900 XTX MBA to compare to his 4080 FE.

Here are the key points he told me for his use case obviously.
  • The 7900 XTX overclocks much better as he got only ~5% out of the 4080 but the 7900 XTX gives about 10% - 15%.
  • If you care about RT then the 4080 is the obvious choice
  • He prefers the looks of the 4080 but the size of the 7900 XTX.
  • If you consider raster more important, the 7900 XTX is about 10% - 15% faster OC vs OC at 4K
  • At this point the other colleagues at our office lunch told us to stop being boring nerds :)
He did offer to sell me his 4080 FE as he is outside the RMA window, if he decides to keep the 7900 XTX. I think he will keep the 7900 XTX as his main use is online and he preferrs FPS over IQ. I don't know though, he is not presenting the 4080 as being that awesome to be fair, not even for the £900 he is asking.

He initially bought a 4090, decided it was overpriced and returned it. For his use case, he feels the 4080 and more so the 7900 XTX give better VFM considering they are not really that much slower and £500 and £700 cheaper repsectively. My opinion on this is the 4090 is overpriced so that was always a very low bar.

Soldato
So as a follow up to my buddy at work buying a 7900 XTX MBA to compare to his 4080 FE.

Here are the key points he told me for his use case obviously.
  • The 7900 XTX overclocks much better as he got only ~5% out of the 4080 but the 7900 XTX gives about 10% - 15%.
  • If you care about RT then the 4080 is the obvious choice
  • He prefers the looks of the 4080 but the size of the 7900 XTX.
  • If you consider raster more important, the 7900 XTX is about 10% - 15% faster OC vs OC at 4K
  • At this point the other colleagues at our office lunch told us to stop being boring nerds :)
He did offer to sell me his 4080 FE as he is outside the RMA window, if he decides to keep the 7900 XTX. I think he will keep the 7900 XTX as his main use is online and he preferrs FPS over IQ. I don't know though, he is not presenting the 4080 as being that awesome to be fair, not even for the £900 he is asking.

He initially bought a 4090, decided it was overpriced and returned it. For his use case, he feels the 4080 and more so the 7900 XTX give better VFM considering they are not really that much slower and £500 and £700 cheaper repsectively. My opinion on this is the 4090 is overpriced so that was always a very low bar.

It amazes me the way people buy stuff and return it so readily. No wonder everything I buy is covered in finger prints.

Soldato
It amazes me the way people buy stuff and return it so readily. No wonder everything I buy is covered in finger prints.

Consumer Rights Regulations exist for a reason. If you are buying any item that turns out to be a return and was not advertised as such, then it is the seller at fault and not the person who excerised their consumer rights.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
What PSU out of interest?

And bought the 12pin for it

Last edited:
Soldato
If you don't want it tell him I'm interested at £900. :p

Haha, sorry but I think I will take him up on his offer because it's still just about better price/perf my current 3080 FE.

I did say he could sell it on ebay but he lol'd and said he hates selling on eBay due to scammers. Considering new 4080s FEs are £1200 and there are regular drops, if anyone were to sell used there they would need to sell it for at least £1000 to undercut new prices. So with fees you would be lucky to make back £900.

To be fair he was not saying the 4080 was not a good GPU, he was happier with it compared to the 4090 on a price/perf comparison. What I mean was his reasons for preferring the 7900 XTX, would be the same reasons as my own. It was good to get some actual unbiased real world feedback from someone who knows how to undervolt and overclock for best result regardless of green or red.

Associate
While that may be true for some I know I'm holding off on a 4080 because it's just so very badly priced.

I could understand paying £900+ for a 3080 back when supply was completely destroyed but now and they want £1200+? A used 3080 is like £600 ish, so what's a used 4080 going to be in a year or so? I can wait.
I agree with you, and no doubt the 4090 will go down in price also. I just needed an upgrade from my 1070.

Back
Top Bottom