• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sod it I'm buying a 4080

Soldato
I spent seven months in the OC RTX3080 Queue ... I went from queue position 1017 to 117, then opened the Airlock and stepped outside.

They had everyone's pants down with that debacle. Absolutely shocking episode, took people's money and goodwill, and then sold the cards they had "paid" to other people at higher prices. Scandalous.

Last edited:
Soldato
These prices are the new norm unfortunately. People used their wallets to vote for these high prices. Instead of blaming Nvidia or AMD, take a look in the mirror at the person who caused it :cry:

Everything's gone up massively though, even 2nd hand stuff - thinking cars.

Lots of folk seem to think MOBO's £400+ and CPU's £500+, PSU's £300+ are the new norm.

One thing I do have to say about it and maybe a reason why for gfx cards. There was again a massive uplift in performance. I'm surprised Nvidia sat on it and didn't drip feed out the performance, over at least another gen in between.

I had a 3080 and the 4090 (OK 3x the FE unicorn price) was 100% perf uplift @ 4k. Got £500 back on the 3080 - So £1300 outlay.

4090 doesn't even need DLSS in 99% of games unless you have silly RT settings, in say CP2077.

UNless you went 8K, spend hours in MSFS and/or run a very high end VR headset/ high res high hz multimonitor set up - ain't no one gonna be needin a 5000 series card even for 4k unless you are desperate to play the next AAA beta and pay MSRP for the game. Even then - DLSS pops up as an option to allow a card to have a longer life with an option for high fps with slightly reduced IQ or none if implemented well. Until the owner decides they need an upgrade.

Where does the performance required stop? I'd say the 4090 currently for 4k 120hz requires no upgrade until a game that does the 'Crysis' thing to graphics comes out - without being the beta or alpha version of games, even AAA dev houses cant get games out in a decent state and so shouldn't be used as benchmarks as advances in games.

The 4080/4090 and the XTX are all monster cards - and the 3000 series was good at 4k. 4k 120hz is a reality in almost all scenarios - definitely 100fps+. Does make me wonder, what will make me want (not need) a 5000 series card? What with 42 inch LG C2 OLED's for £699 this past black friday.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm tempted to buy a 4080 as a replacement for my 2080TI, but 1. I think the prices will come down a bit and 2. It's the same size as the 4090, which is already massive.

Soldato
Everything's gone up massively though, even 2nd hand stuff - thinking cars.

Lots of folk seem to think MOBO's £400+ and CPU's £500+, PSU's £300+ are the new norm.

One thing I do have to say about it and maybe a reason why for gfx cards. There was again a massive uplift in performance. I'm surprised Nvidia sat on it and didn't drip feed out the performance, over at least another gen in between.

I had a 3080 and the 4090 (OK 3x the FE unicorn price) was 100% perf uplift @ 4k. Got £500 back on the 3080 - So £1300 outlay.

4090 doesn't even need DLSS in 99% of games unless you have silly RT settings, in say CP2077.

UNless you went 8K, spend hours in MSFS and/or run a very high end VR headset/ high res high hz multimonitor set up - ain't no one gonna be needin a 5000 series card even for 4k unless you are desperate to play the next AAA beta and pay MSRP for the game. Even then - DLSS pops up as an option to allow a card to have a longer life with an option for high fps with slightly reduced IQ or none if implemented well. Until the owner decides they need an upgrade.

Where does the performance required stop? I'd say the 4090 currently for 4k 120hz requires no upgrade until a game that does the 'Crysis' thing to graphics comes out - without being the beta or alpha version of games, even AAA dev houses cant get games out in a decent state and so shouldn't be used as benchmarks as advances in games.

The 4080/4090 and the XTX are all monster cards - and the 3000 series was good at 4k. 4k 120hz is a reality in almost all scenarios - definitely 100fps+. Does make me wonder, what will make me want (not need) a 5000 series card? What with 42 inch LG C2 OLED's for £699 this past black friday.
Only the 4090 got the full uplift though, the 4080 got 48% over the 3080 which got 65% over the 2080 at the same cost, once we get down to the £650 price point this generation I doubt we'll see over a 10% gain on cards like the 3080/6800XT so performance is being drip fed to those not willing to pay over 1k for Gpus.

Associate
To me the 4080 was a meme until the 7900 series came out and suddenly legitimised the 4080's place in the stack as a high-end all rounder worthy of consideration.

Now the battle lines have been drawn and AMD has shown its hand this generation, it isn't good news for consumers like me. Even if I dropped £1k+ on an XTX, by turning on the eye candy (ray tracing) I'm straight in to last gen NV performance, and their 3000 series has better upscaling in DLSS as well as more games supporting it. The 4xxx series also has the 'oh **** button' in DLSS 3 to rescue its performance in its waning years (or to be used now in slower paced games like A Plague Tale: Requiem to great effect, or so I hear).

I'm tempted to wait it out until UE5 games are mainstream. From what little I've heard that engine is chewing up all GPUs right now, even though I'm sure I heard a year+ ago UE5 was going to deliver mega graphics and performance on relatively humble hardware.

Soldato
I'm tempted to buy a 4080 as a replacement for my 2080TI, but 1. I think the prices will come down a bit and 2. It's the same size as the 4090, which is already massive.

I am not so sure. I think there are a LOT of people hanging on who really want a 4080. It's like a game of poker that I am afraid NVIDIA will win.
Having said that I am not completely sure, maybe I am just being too negative. I mean I will not give in because I just refuse to spend £1200 on a graphics card. There must be some other people like me! I guess the real thing that counts is HOW MANY people are like me?

Associate
4090 fe is reasonably sized, same length as my 3080 tuf but a bit chonkier in other dimensions

Soldato
I am not so sure. I think there are a LOT of people hanging on who really want a 4080. It's like a game of poker that I am afraid NVIDIA will win.
Having said that I am not completely sure, maybe I am just being too negative. I mean I will not give in because I just refuse to spend £1200 on a graphics card. There must be some other people like me! I guess the real thing that counts is HOW MANY people are like me?

I refuse to go above about £700 if it doesn't correct itself looking forward I can just see myself buying previous generation used cards

Not too bothered 3080 at 1440p if I was at 4K likely different story so should be fine and skip this generation and I don't need the latest to get good experience

Last edited:
Associate
1 more here, I would love a 4080.
I think it's worth £800 in today's crazy price increasing climate.
I am sure I will get one for that but its a matter of when.....I think February.

These cards might be selling ok but there is no way they are going to sell masses of them at £1200.
Nvidia will have a certain period of time before they can lower the price and not risk outrage from early adopters.
I think that time is ~ 3 months.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I had a 4090 but returned it and got a 4080. It was a £650 difference so no small change. In the games I play the 4080 does more than well enough at 4K. MW2 175fps, WoW DF 120-170fps.

Went with the cheapest 4080, it also fits well in my no RGB build.

DSCF0109.jpg

DSCF0106.jpg

DSCF0094.jpg

DSCF0092.jpg

DSCF0090.jpg

DSCF0088.jpg

Soldato
Spending a £1000 or more on the 7900XTX or the 4080 is madness. And if you are considering buying an AIB card that price rises even further.

If you only build a PC every so often, you might as well go completely mad and buy the 4090.

The other option is to buy the 6900 for £699 now and buy another GPU later on. The 6900 is still a cracking GPU and doesn't have any of the issues that you mentioned.
It absolutely does have black screens, it's one reason I am going to jump ship when the time is right.

Soldato
That probably means it's one of the least popular and they are sitting on a tonne of stock so they are trying to drum up sales by seeding the idea they are selling well to create a herd mentality.
They've based the article off the public facing "best selling" list of the actual Newegg retail site. There's no sales numbers referenced.

Other more reliable sources have said they produced an order of magnitude more 4090's that have sold out, Vs like what was it 30k units of 4080, which haven't sold out, so how can it possibly be outselling unless Newegg received next to no 4090 stock.

Back
Top Bottom