Solar panel production figures

huh... "Super cheap rates between 02:00 - 05:00 every day, when you can top up your battery with any extra energy you may need."

cost between 02:00 - 05:00 = 20.4p/kWh....

Super cheap issit?

Good export rate though if you dump the packs at the required time, but you'd have to get it right so as not to run out in the evening/night and start buying back at 34p
It is super cheap compared to the 45p you would be paying without the rate cap from the government….

huh... "Super cheap rates between 02:00 - 05:00 every day, when you can top up your battery with any extra energy you may need."

cost between 02:00 - 05:00 = 20.4p/kWh....

Super cheap issit?

Good export rate though if you dump the packs at the required time, but you'd have to get it right so as not to run out in the evening/night and start buying back at 34p
You can automate it so it charges at the right time.

And it's 14p /kWh cheaper than my current rate. With significant better export. If you remove price cap it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

Last edited:
The new octopus tariff is very tempting, currently on agile for both incoming and export. Might do well with my east / west split and be able to export a decent amount during the afternoon and evening in the summer.

You can automate it so it charges at the right time.

And it's 14p /kWh cheaper than my current rate. With significant better export. If you remove price cap it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

I would be more interested if it was closer to the Go rate at off peak.

Perhaps it might be a good choice during the summer, but I fear it's going to be really hard to figure out the most cost effective thing to do re tariffs when the car charging is taken into account.

How do you set when the battery charges/discharges and times to prioritise battery charge from solar or import?
Is that in the inverter software/app?

Will vary depending what equipment you have, but yes it'll be an inverter option if it's there. My inverter for example has multiple time slots where you can set it to charge batteries from, or discharge batteries to, the Grid and at what power output.

Last edited:
We have net metering here, so extra goes back into the grid to offset future usage. At the end of the year the electric company pays us for the total extra over the course of the year.

I assume you don't get paid out at the retail rate for any excess at true-up though so you don't want too much excess?

My annual true-up bill will be generated this week and I think I'm going to have 4-500kWh of peak net metering credits that'll get cashed out but it's only at the utility's "avoided cost rate" so I'll only get $0.03-0.04/kWh for them which is a lot less than the $0.35 retail price!

Last edited:
I assume you don't get paid out at the retail rate for any excess at true-up though so you don't want too much excess?

My annual true-up bill will be generated this week and I think I'm going to have 4-500kWh of peak net metering credits that'll get cashed out but it's only at the utility's "avoided cost rate" so I'll only get $0.03-0.04/kWh for them which is a lot less than the $0.35 retail price!
It's wholesale (avoided cost) at the end of the year, but I think the carryover month to month is 1:1.

Will vary depending what equipment you have, but yes it'll be an inverter option if it's there. My inverter for example has multiple time slots where you can set it to charge batteries from, or discharge batteries to, the Grid and at what power output.

Just spent 10 minutes playing with the app, it's all in there!
Good god there are a lot of parameters I have no idea what they mean.

Had an email of HIES saying my documents are all on the way.

I would be more interested if it was closer to the Go rate at off peak.

Perhaps it might be a good choice during the summer, but I fear it's going to be really hard to figure out the most cost effective thing to do re tariffs when the car charging is taken into account.

For those of us with no interest in EVs it's much better than the other tariffs though. :)

Currently we are averaging 7.5kwhs per day and on target to smash the predicted yield of 146kwhs this month.... its looking a little cloudy out there today, so maybe 4/5kwhs would be good.

Has anyone successfully connected a solis inverter to Home Assistant? I've got the API but can't seem to get it to work.

As in just to pull data into home assistant? I’ve got that all working, but there’s currently no way to control the inverter via home assistant unless you go down the modbus route.

What inverter do you have?

Last edited:
Solcast thinks today is the last good day for the next week, though it can change it's mind.

Last night my solar forecast for today was saying about 20kwh, now it’s saying 6.7 for today… given it’s currently mostly clear skies and forecast is for sunshine this afternoon I have no idea what it’s on about!

That said, weather does look poop for the foreseeable after today.

Thats unusual, it normally moves but from what I have seen its max 20% or so from evening until next day
I usually do a refresh mid evening to see the following day and thats generally good enough

There is quite a band of rain working its was across teh UK today, I think in teh east we will just about avoid it impacting todays generation but pretty much most of the country are likely to see generation cut well down today i think

Do you go directly to solcast or is it imported? Maybe if imported it hadn't updated?

As in just to pull data into home assistant? I’ve got that all working, but there’s currently no way to control the inverter via home assistant unless you go down the modbus route.

What inverter do you have?

I have a give energy system and a solis inverter, I've got a datalogger for the solis and just wanted to get the string data from it, unfortunately GE combines the strings as 1 data stream so was interested in getting data on a more granular level.

Much like the old days when there was a bit of a breeze that it was a washing day, today is a washing today with the sun shining. Got the washing machine going and I’ll get the dishwasher going later :D

I have a give energy system and a solis inverter, I've got a datalogger for the solis and just wanted to get the string data from it, unfortunately GE combines the strings as 1 data stream so was interested in getting data on a more granular level.

I can pull individual strings into home assistant.

So you’ve requested API access from Solis and got the key and secret?

In home assistant I’m just using the Solis integration here https://github.com/hultenvp/solis-sensor/ and it should give you sensors for current, voltage and power for PV1 and PV2

Back
Top Bottom