Solar panel production figures

13.4 kWh here nice day! Not clear blue skies nice, but nice all the same.

Beats my previous best for Feb at around 12.8 kWh on the 15th.

Next few days really don't look great though...

Last edited:
Just ditch the EV! :D

You're having a fantastic solar day today!

Hah given I spend a couple hundred in petrol every month I’m not sure the maths works out without the EV either!

Yeah pretty good day given it wasn’t perfect clear skies, think it’s my highest yet. I reckon by the start of next month I’ll be easily breaching 20kWh on nice days.

I’m really seeing where the benefit from microinverters like solar edge would be… with a roof like mine at this time of year it just reaches a point where the optimisers give up and the whole string collapses rapidly to low level even though several panels are still in direct sunlight.

Production in the afternoon this time of year would be notably higher with a micro inverter setup… but then there’s higher upfront cost and efficiency losses with AC coupled batteries to consider.

I think if I were to install a system again on a roof subject to shading at certain times of day I’d be sorely tempted to go the microinverter route… it’s frustrating to see a good 6 panels in direct sunlight and nothing but a few hundred watts being produced. If it were a microinverter setup then those panels would have been happily chugging out a good 2kw or so vs the few hundred watts I actually get. I hadn’t appreciated quite how the string gets dragged down even with optimisers (which just prolong the inevitable).

Last edited:
Hah given I spend a couple hundred in petrol every month I’m not sure the maths works out without the EV either!

Depends how much you're paying for the car, I spend a £100 a month on fuel, the car was bought and paid for in 2013 and is now around 14 years old. It just wouldn't pay me to get an EV, not even if I spent double on fuel.

Depends how much you're paying for the car, I spend a £100 a month on fuel, the car was bought and paid for in 2013 and is now around 14 years old. It just wouldn't pay me to get an EV, not even if I spent double on fuel.

Same. It just doesn't make economic sense for us. Besides I also don't think EVs are the future but that's another debate! Between the 2 cars we probably spend £300 a month on fuel max (unless we're doing a trip to France or somewhere).

I did the sums even with solar on a really amazing sunny days I'd be worse off over a year for having an EV. Well, we have 2 cars at home so if they were both EV then we'd definitely be worse off. I have included the cost of the EV in those sums.

Now if it was a company car that would change things (although it would take a lot of convincing!).

Heres to hoping this stretch of weather from thursday to next wednesday, brings the power. So far february has brought me 9 double figure production days.....maybe its not as wet in wales as we all think.

BUT - i work colleague of mine who lives around 10 miles away and has a 3.4kwh system, has only produced 65kwh in february, compared to my 127kwhs....so slightly bigger system, half the production

Last edited:

Yeah pretty good day given it wasn’t perfect clear skies, think it’s my highest yet. I reckon by the start of next month I’ll be easily breaching 20kWh on nice days.

I’m really seeing where the benefit from microinverters like solar edge would be… with a roof like mine at this time of year it just reaches a point where the optimisers give up and the whole string collapses rapidly to low level even though several panels are still in direct sunlight.

Production in the afternoon this time of year would be notably higher with a micro inverter setup… but then there’s higher upfront cost and efficiency losses with AC coupled batteries to consider.

I think if I were to install a system again on a roof subject to shading at certain times of day I’d be sorely tempted to go the microinverter route… it’s frustrating to see a good 6 panels in direct sunlight and nothing but a few hundred watts being produced. If it were a microinverter setup then those panels would have been happily chugging out a good 2kw or so vs the few hundred watts I actually get. I hadn’t appreciated quite how the string gets dragged down even with optimisers (which just prolong the inevitable).

Just something to show this, I have 2 strings, upper and lower on my south facing roof, set up in a row of 9 (top) and two sets of 4 either side of the soil pipe. but have shading from 2nd week in October from next doors roof, and then early December on both strings (bit frustrated this wasn't picked up when I got the quotes) it mostly affects the back 4 panels as next doors house is set back slightly. I also have a low pitch roof so my generation this time of year certainly isn't as strong as others on here. Although with the shading when the sun isn't out the strings are actually fairly evenly balanced voltage wise and I doubt optimisers would add much to the daily figures.

Generation from the end of last september where both strings generate all day.

IO3Wxus.png

Then from yesterday which was bright blue skies but with shading to my bottom string.

AIrSdO7.png #

and then perfection from back last August.

wJmK1Rs.png

Back
Top Bottom