Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Associate
A sunnier or damper area than Ron-ski....
What have you setup in the timed charge?

If it was only setup today you'll probably be unable to use it until tomorrow as the battery needs time to balance etc
Ah, thanks both - makes sense, think I've just over excited!

Was delighted how much we produced even on a very gloomy day today - basically free electricity for most of the day! Can't wait for some blue skies!

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
* mr blue skkkkyy *

praying-hands-on-blue-sky-backgroundyoung-man-prayedreligion-and-picture-id1184279073

Associate
A sunnier or damper area than Ron-ski....
Tesla Model 3. Charger doesn't matter if your vehicle is compatible. All set up, just need to do a test charge to switch tariff (but the car isn't even at home atm).

Ah interesting - have a Nissan Leaf, so it must be that (although odd as pretty mainstream). Husband has a Tesla Model Y on order, so I guess I could fill that in - does it actually have any bearing at all on anything? Not sure why they need to know this?

Soldato
Ah interesting - have a Nissan Leaf, so it must be that (although odd as pretty mainstream). Husband has a Tesla Model Y on order, so I guess I could fill that in - does it actually have any bearing at all on anything? Not sure why they need to know this?

All the details are at https://octopus.energy/intelligent-octopus, and yeah, Nissan isn't in the list.

They need to be able to access your EV's app/API to set and start charging schedules. As well as the cheap overnight rate it says they also optimise this for when the energy source is greenest. I imagine there's some more clever stuff going on behind the scenes so that everyone's car is charged to the desire % by 5.30am, but they don't all start at 11.30pm and over-demand the grid.

Soldato
I had solar panels installed last September. At the time, I wasn’t convinced the outlay for a battery at the same time was worth it. I’m now considering getting one but just trying to find out if I can get a Scottish EST 0% loan to finance it as I already used that avenue to find the solar install.

Only quote I have so far is £5,900 + VAT for install of a GivEnergy 9.5kW battery. That’s from the guys that fitted my solar.

Soldato
I had solar panels installed last September. At the time, I wasn’t convinced the outlay for a battery at the same time was worth it. I’m now considering getting one but just trying to find out if I can get a Scottish EST 0% loan to finance it as I already used that avenue to find the solar install.

Only quote I have so far is £5,900 + VAT for install of a GivEnergy 9.5kW battery. That’s from the guys that fitted my solar.
Absolutely insane price! Almost twice what it retails for. (if you could get one)

Soldato

If you can get hold of one they're £3200-3500 (inc VAT) online exc install. And that's at 20% VAT.

Associate

yes, you can get another loan for a battery £6k limit on the loan.

Do you know if you have a hybrid inverter already or will you need a battery and a replacement inverter or an additional AC Coupled Inverter?

Soldato
Associate
I think they need to be MCS registered and think you also need to advise DNO (but dont need approval as such if I read correctly previously)

But Scotland could be different, possibly
only need to be MCS if you want to claim SEG I think. Any competent electrician who is appropriately certified for home installations can do it. You'd need the MCS though if claiming the interest free loan in scotland.

Soldato
@SoliD what does enabling ECO mode do?

System running pretty well so far, peak today was around 3.6kw of generation, not sure how how it could get on the very brightest days, but need to wait until next year to find out.

String performance today:

8io1k2n.png

String 2 generates more in the morning, it seems string 1 is doing more later on.

Energy usage today:

0F3JgYm.png

Battery performance today, dropped to around 64% overnight, fully charged, and only discharged a bit because something was nomming power after 15:00.

502dJzE.png

Hopefully end the day with a full battery, and then see how it goes tomorrow :)

Back
Top Bottom