Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

3.3 for me today. Fortunately we had 2 periods of clear skys between the rain. Get ready for January, historically that's the worst month for me.

Daily averaging:
2020 - 3.2
2021 - 4.9
2022 - 4.9
That's useful to know - was wondering when the worst moment will be....!

I'm quite curious actually as my part of Scotland has these cold, but blue and sunny days in winter, so I'll be interested to see how it goes....

I assume a hybrid is "better" since its in control of usage, ie it knows directly if there is excess generation from panels over demand and can send to battery
An AC coupled from what I have seen relies on detecting outgoing and switches to the battery to charge if needed
Maybe there are some AC coupled inverters that can talk directly to a solar inverter but it sounds more complicated

I'm told on here that hybrid is better, but there are solar enthusiasts on MSE etc who advocate for AC Coupled. I just want to understand what I'm paying for and how it will serve me, in an area I'm very unfamiliar.

Like most things, people have different views and opionins, both could be correct, a lot will also depend on the installation constraints.

A hybrid inverter is connected to its batteries via DC, the voltage between the inverter and batteries is lower than mains voltage (often 48v but different systems vary), so cables need to be thick and short to handle the current, so the batteries need to be close by the inverter.

An AC coupled battery has its own inverter built in so outputs 240v, so could be installed far way from the solar inverter perhaps making installation more convenient.

In a hybrid inverter you are limited to the capacity of that inverter, but with a solar inverter and a separate AC coupled battery you would likely have more power available whilst the sun is shining, the capacity of the solar inverter (depending on the sun) and the AC coupled battery inverter.

I should think a PV system with AC coupled battery is more expensive, as you'd effectively have two inverters to pay for.

Last edited:
2.53 yesterday 3.59 today. Whopping

Bloody hell. That’s a whopping whole quid there. Then the inverter buggers up after the 5 year warranty is up and wipes out most of that profit. Lol

I agree with the post above, one needs an EV or be a really high user to benefit from solar at current prices. I was considering to get it earlier this, but prices just put me right off. Installers making way to much money for a days work. Instead I just worked on cutting unnecessary usage and with the £66 we get at the moment our bill is actually less than it was 2 years ago. Crazy how much one can save by making a few changes around the house. Though winter is coming and i have yet to put heaters on and I am sure my bill for December will be much higher.

Shame they charge 20% VAT on battery. I would consider going for a 5-10kw one and charge it over night on the cheap. Surely install costs would be much cheaper on one of those. Half a days work (if that) and no need for scaffolding or anything else.

Last edited:
Around 27p or something? :p :cry:

Not laughing at you by the way, but it is intriguing. I am sure come June you will be laughing with ton’s generated :)

27kwh was our best day so far our install went in end of July so just missed the longest day.

Also you are right on your post above solar installers are taking the **** at the moment.

Reactions: TNA
Like most things, people have different views and opionins, both could be correct, a lot will also depend on the installation constraints.

A hybrid inverter is connected to its batteries via DC, the voltage between the inverter and batteries is lower than mains voltage (often 48v but different systems vary), so cables need to be thick and short to handle the current, so the batteries need to be close by the inverter.

An AC coupled battery has its own inverter built in so outputs 240v, so could be installed far way from the solar inverter perhaps making installation more convenient.

In a hybrid inverter you are limited to the capacity of that inverter, but with a solar inverter and a separate AC coupled battery you would likely have more power available whilst the sun is shining, the capacity of the solar inverter (depending on the sun) and the AC coupled battery inverter.

I should think a PV system with AC coupled battery is more expensive, as you'd effectively have two inverters to pay for.

Yes that's what I'd half figured out, regarding more power on sunny days, though I probably got there the wrong way. Thanks for clarifying.

The Panels will be on the roofs directly above the battery and inverters so I don't think there's much to worry about in terms of location.

For me this adventure is less about saving money and more about being self sufficient (although I know I could never be 100% off grid I would be able to survive blackouts with a degree of luxury). It also resonates with my environmental desires. I don't have an EV but will as my next vehicle, but have an annual usage etsimate at the moment of 6000kWh which will only increase (AC/Car).

Current quoted kit is for the Givenergy 9.5 batt AC Coupled Inverter, Solaredge HDWave 1ph inverter and mains isolation. The price was way too high but I can bring that down.

I think then if Hybrid/ACc isn't a deal breaker I may just pull the trigger given the wait times.

I guess you can add batteries later also? I assume it'll be a constant upgrade-a-thon.

Last edited:
Yes that's what I'd half figured out, regarding more power on sunny days, though I probably got there the wrong way. Thanks for clarifying.

The Panels will be on the roofs directly above the battery and inverters so I don't think there's much to worry about in terms of location.

For me this adventure is less about saving money and more about being self sufficient (although I know I could never be 100% off grid I would be able to survive blackouts with a degree of luxury). It also resonates with my environmental desires. I don't have an EV but will as my next vehicle, but have an annual usage etsimate at the moment of 6000kWh which will only increase (AC/Car).

Current quoted kit is for the Givenergy 9.5 batt AC Coupled Inverter, Solaredge HDWave 1ph inverter and mains isolation. The price was way too high but I can bring that down.

I think then if Hybrid/ACc isn't a deal breaker I may just pull the trigger given the wait times.

I guess you can add batteries later also? I assume it'll be a constant upgrade-a-thon.
You mentioned MSE forum, Are you aware of this post https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6395762/givenergy-battery-capacity-problems/p1

Back
Top Bottom