Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

No but I'll keep it in mind, something to keep an eye on if I go this route.

Don't lots of people in this thread use Givenergy batts?

Yes, there are are a good few on here who now have them installed. I did have a similar issue, but it seems to have rectified itself after an update, but I am on the older Gen1 8.2kWh battery, not the newer one 9.5kWh hour one. My system is out bound though, and being replaced with something more comprehensive and with more options for how I want my household to work. I'd 100% keep them on the shortlist if you are having an install done, but keep an eye on the cost per kWh as prices are starting to become silly.

Yesterday 2.57kWh, today 512Wh, today is the worst day since last December.

A little bit is a massive understatement, I think we had about 2 minutes of sunshine, if that, even the system at work only managed 10.6kWh and thats a 50kW system.

Did he disclose his generation for today?

Come on, keep up :p

You need to move those clouds, it was dire down here today, I'm going to send them north.

Come on, keep up :p

You need to move those clouds, it was dire down here today, I'm going to send them north.

:cry:

kanye-west-laugh.gif

Last edited:
3.96 for me! Terrible!

This is where I need this extra inverter as I'm capped to only charge 2.6kw X 4 hrs currently through Octopus Go. Once I can charge at 7.2kw X 4, it'll be much less painful!
I'm running two gen1 inverters into two 9.5kWh batteries and charging fully in the 4 hour window - but will be happier when they are swapped out to gen2 versions when they become available

I'm running two gen1 inverters into two 9.5kWh batteries and charging fully in the 4 hour window - but will be happier when they are swapped out to gen2 versions when they become available
These hybrid ones or AC?

I've got two gen 2 5kw hybrid inverters on order - supposedly in next couple of weeks, but not holding my breath!

Being able to charge 7.2kw per hour will change the game for me!

Last edited:
These hybrid ones or AC?

I've got two gen 2 5kw hybrid inverters on order - supposedly in next couple of weeks, but not holding my breath!

Being able to charge 7.2kw per hour will change the game for me!
Yes two hybrid gen1''s they were ordered end of March but they put these in as a stop gap until the gen2's

Last edited:
Like most things, people have different views and opionins, both could be correct, a lot will also depend on the installation constraints.

A hybrid inverter is connected to its batteries via DC, the voltage between the inverter and batteries is lower than mains voltage (often 48v but different systems vary), so cables need to be thick and short to handle the current, so the batteries need to be close by the inverter.

An AC coupled battery has its own inverter built in so outputs 240v, so could be installed far way from the solar inverter perhaps making installation more convenient.

In a hybrid inverter you are limited to the capacity of that inverter, but with a solar inverter and a separate AC coupled battery you would likely have more power available whilst the sun is shining, the capacity of the solar inverter (depending on the sun) and the AC coupled battery inverter.

I should think a PV system with AC coupled battery is more expensive, as you'd effectively have two inverters to pay for.

The main downside of having a separate AC coupled battery I can see is that going from DC (pannels) to AC via inverter 1 back to DC (battery) via inverter 2 and then back to AC again as you use the stored energy results in a significant energy loss.

Where as on the hybrid system you are only doing that DC to AC conversion once to use the stored energy.

Back
Top Bottom