Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

There is a new G99 fast track process available - A3-3

Essentially you can connect and notify for larger than 3.68kw inverters provided that they are G99 approved and limited to 16amps at that time. This is useful for use while awaiting full G99 approval, or in my case leaving at 3.68kw since the DNO want an unreasonable sum to approve 5kw connection and G100 fast track can only be achieved with G98 inverters (it is designed for multiple G98 devices).

Form A3-3 – Installation Notification Form for Small Generation Installation Procedure 1

This form is to be used for the notification to the DNO of Generating Units installed and commissioned under Small Generation Installation Procedure 1 and where the eligibility conditions are met:

The new and existing Generating Units are located in a single Generator’s Installation;

The Intrinsic Design Capacity of each new and existing Generating Unit is no more than 32 A per phase;

The Registered Capacity of each new or existing Generating Unit is no more than 16A per phase;

All of the Generating Units (including Electricity Storage devices) are connected via EREC G98 or EREC G99 Fully Type Tested Inverters;32; and

The total aggregate Registered Capacities of all the Generating Units (including Electricity Storage devices) is less than 16 A per phase;

DNOs may have their own forms; refer to the DNO’s websites and online application tools. The application should include the Manufacturer’s reference number (the system reference) from the ENA Type Test Verification Report Register.

On completion of the installation the Installer shall submit this form A3-3, alongside an application for the removal of the limitation on the appropriate EREC G99 forms (if permission is being sought for the removal of the limitation at the same time as submitting this notification).

Please complete and provide this document for each premises, once the installation is complete.

* Intrinsic Design Capacity is the basic design capacity of the Generating Unit (and will be the value of Registered Capacity in the ENA’s Type Test Register). For SGI-1, where the Registered Capacity is limited and is less than the Intrinsic Design Capacity, both values should be recorded here.

Last edited:
3.8kwh after a thick, cloudy, rainy start to the day in south wales

Ooh 3.9 here. It gave sun in the forecast and I could see it in the horizon creeping early am, but it wasn't till about 11:30 it actually kicked in so the system didn't get going properly till then.

The angle seems to be making a massive difference now but I think till we get to the end of Feb it wont be as much use.

Not sure if there's any systems that will read the weather forecast, and charge a bit overnight automatically in response.

Can you trigger an event based on atmospheric conditions using home assistant?

Huawei have an app in development which adjusts the solar & battery settings based on weather. It was due to be released in September but has been delayed.

52192889794_7aebcd1436_b.jpg

52192889804_00241a5f45_b.jpg

Last edited:
Hi looking for a small solar and a set of battery storage to take advantage of night rate.

What’s the general supply and install cost per kw generation and kWh battery storage?

After nearly a year of trying to get multiple quotes for comparison purposes, I have finally given up and I'm going with the people who provided my first quote back in April. They have, in the meantime, fitted to a friend's house and have done a very neat job, so I'm not using them blind.
They've sent a rough quote based on a Google Maps survey, estimating 10 panels would fit on our South facing roof for a 3.95kWp system. £5900.
The quote has provision for adding a hybrid inverter and dual Fox LV5200 batteries for an additional cost of £6849. But I'm really not sure whether a battery system makes sense for us. We both work from home, so at least some of the power generated during the day will be used immediately. I guess we need to calculate what generation we can expect, and what our usual use is during the day. Will be having a call with them to plan further this afternoon, so will see what they advise.

I'm also not sure whether to go with a bird barrier system. Expensive at £1200. But as well as the bird protection, it also makes the install look a lot neater I think.

Back
Top Bottom