Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

You'll be able to put 7kW of solar panels into that Sunsynk inverter, its the one I've got. Going bigger on the inverter will then mean a G99 application which will possibly delay things and some installers dont like doing them.
I'm looking at getting this 3.6kWh inverter installed with 6.8kW of panels. Can I just ask if you ever experience clipping with this set up? The way I understand it this should be able to output 3.6kWh AC while also charging the batteries, is that correct? So I would only really experience clipping once the batteries are full?

I'm looking at getting this 3.6kWh inverter installed with 6.8kW of panels. Can I just ask if you ever experience clipping with this set up? The way I understand it this should be able to output 3.6kWh AC while also charging the batteries, is that correct? So I would only really experience clipping once the batteries are full?

Won't a 3.6kw inverter clip your entire panel solar production to also being 3.6kw?

At that sized system I'd also want a 5kw inverter I think, at least.

Having inverter a bit below output is probably fine, but by having it basically 50% a lot of the spring/summer generation will be clipping.
This is what I initially thought but according to the Sunsynk CEO the MPPT of the 3.6kWh is 7kWh. So theoretically the inverter part will output 3.6kW AC but it can also charge the batteries at the same time. So the only time you get clipping is once the batteries are charged and more than 3.6kW is being generated by the panels. https://youtu.be/XGlOKQHVgww?t=150

This is what I initially thought but according to the Sunsynk CEO the MPPT of the 3.6kWh is 7kWh. So theoretically the inverter part will output 3.6kW AC but it can also charge the batteries at the same time. So the only time you get clipping is once the batteries are charged and more than 3.6kW is being generated by the panels. https://youtu.be/XGlOKQHVgww?t=150

I see, so if the battery needs charge it will go beyond 3.6kw from the panels until it's full, then after that it will clip the solar to the 3.6kw for the purposes of house consumption or exporting.

Still though, on a good summers day you'll fill the battery pretty quick and then be clipping excess generation I think. SEG rates are pretty bad right now, but if that changes one day it will limit your export capacity a bit.

Does make me wonder why so many panels though? the only benefit I can see is that they'll perform a bit better in the months like Nov - Feb where generation is not that great, but you'll suffer the same sub 1kwh days we all get no matter how many panels you have when the rain comes down all day.

I see, so if the battery needs charge it will go beyond 3.6kw from the panels until it's full, then after that it will clip the solar to the 3.6kw for the purposes of house consumption or exporting.

Still though, on a good summers day you'll fill the battery pretty quick and then be clipping excess generation I think. SEG rates are pretty bad right now, but if that changes one day it will limit your export capacity a bit.

Does make me wonder why so many panels though? the only benefit I can see is that they'll perform a bit better in the months like Nov - Feb where generation is not that great, but you'll suffer the same sub 1kwh days we all get no matter how many panels you have when the rain comes down all day.
I know what you mean about future SEG rates - that's the only thing stopping me accepting the proposal right now. I think it's inevitable that SEG rates will have to improve and knowing my luck it will happen straight after my panels are installed!!
The reason I've gone for 6.8kW of panels is because my roof is pretty small and faces South-East so I've opted to have panels on the North-West side too. They won't do much in winter but it's a 3-storey townhouse so they get daylight all day in summer. According to OpenSolar I would only get clipping losses of 0.4% but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

What is the quote/price like? Also how much electric do you use daily?

Various quotes have been posted here in the past, so you can sort of see if it's ballpark good or not.

A lot of solar firms are charging a lot of money at the moment due to demand.

Last edited:
What is the quote/price like? Also how much electric do you use daily?

Various quotes have been posted here in the past, so you can sort of see if it's ballpark good or not.

A lot of solar firms are charging a lot of money at the moment due to demand.
£12,295 with a 5.12kWh Sunsynk battery. I know it's a lot but I don't think prices are going down any time soon with inflation at 10%.

Back
Top Bottom