Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Unexpected 10+ kW today. I also found a problem with my Eddi which wasn't working (CT clamp issue, and firmware update) all back up and running. Lots of hot water today! :cool:

Last edited:
2.5kwh here, bit of a difference today, we are usually not that far off, I am in Cambridgeshire.

It did brighten up (a bit) here around 11am.

Yeah I noticed we see similar numbers regularly. We did start to see it brighten up then but as I am west facing mine is typically more like 11:30 before I get a jump in output and that was around the time the first drops started to fall :(

Only 2.1kwh in Edinburgh yesterdays - tbs it was fairly dull all day

December was my first full month of having Solar & Batteries - generated 101kwh In Edinburgh SW facing. See what happens in January

Last edited:
I've had some issues with my automatic overnight charging recently, which seems to be down to a slight quirk with the GivEnergy inverter, rather than my control software.
As far as I can tell, it seems like if the battery has discharged to its minimum (<5%) and you have the "Discharge Power" set to 0, then it doesn't charge the battery, regardless of the charge settings, if the battery has more charge remaining or "Discharge Power" is set to a higher value, then it seems to work fine (based on my limited investigations, as the only times I've encountered this have been in the middle of the night when I've woken up and noticed the battery isn't charging, so haven't got too in depth with the testing!).
Anyone else noticed this? Any ideas why this might be the case? Doesn't seem like the correct behaviour but maybe I'm missing something.
I think the fix for my charging system is simply to keep the "Discharge Power" set to a higher value, rather than 0, as I believe if the battery is currently set to charge then it won't discharge anyway (as obviously it can't charge and discharge at the same time) so not a big deal, just seems odd, and meant I had to use a load of high rate grid energy to get through yesterday!

I've had some issues with my automatic overnight charging recently, which seems to be down to a slight quirk with the GivEnergy inverter, rather than my control software.
As far as I can tell, it seems like if the battery has discharged to its minimum (<5%) and you have the "Discharge Power" set to 0, then it doesn't charge the battery, regardless of the charge settings, if the battery has more charge remaining or "Discharge Power" is set to a higher value, then it seems to work fine (based on my limited investigations, as the only times I've encountered this have been in the middle of the night when I've woken up and noticed the battery isn't charging, so haven't got too in depth with the testing!).
Anyone else noticed this? Any ideas why this might be the case? Doesn't seem like the correct behaviour but maybe I'm missing something.
I think the fix for my charging system is simply to keep the "Discharge Power" set to a higher value, rather than 0, as I believe if the battery is currently set to charge then it won't discharge anyway (as obviously it can't charge and discharge at the same time) so not a big deal, just seems odd, and meant I had to use a load of high rate grid energy to get through yesterday!

Inside or outside?, temps seem to play an impact

Also they hate being below a certain point on charge. I see with mine if they are discharged and the temp drops the SOC will drop even though they are not discharging and they will trickle charge.

The battery is inside, so temperature shouldn't be a problem. And seems that if I set the discharge rate higher, everything springs back to life, so its a bit odd. Might be tempted to query it with GivEnergy themselves, to see if it's intentional behaviour or a bug.

Back
Top Bottom