Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Will have to kill that one too then. :D will be moaning if they do and asking what they're going to do to compensate me for the 6 weeks I was without an inverter on a 4 month old system...

Just had solar fitted with a battery (took 9 months waiting for optimisers!) and happy with the result - getting a few kW from 12 panels even in this weather! One question to others who have had solar installed, I was quoted for a turn key solution and the installation company are saying I have to pay for tiles broken during the fitting. Is this normal? I'm thinking of refusing to pay for these as you'd have thought it would be included in a calculation?

In that case you should have checked if any were damaged before they showed up, or at least asked them to point them out before they started work. Some tiles might be hard to get as they vary but an interesting point (as regardless of the monetary thing you want them replaced anyway) but I never thought of it either. I do have some spares though as I built the house not long ago.

Last edited:
gpuerrilla - thanks for the reply. These were tiles they cracked whilst cutting to fit the brackets, there are other cracked tiles left in situ so they only replaced ones they had to. I have a load of tiles I could have given them but they didn't ask and only told me post the work. Only other concern is a hole in the felt on inside of roof (will try to insert pic) and how water tight this is. Other than that the company were ok.

Last edited:
If they broke the tiles during installation, they should have told you at the time really. If you had spare tiles available for them to use and they didn't mention it, or ask you if you had any, that means they charged you to buy tiles you didn't need to buy?

It wasn't something I really thought about myself, and mine was a slate roof that is meant to be a little trickier to do than other tiles.

Maybe ask them how many broke and offer some of your spares instead if they want to collect them, stating you aren't happy to buy tiles when you had spares and they didn't discuss it with you at the time.

How much are they asking for?

Not sure on price yet, but may do as you suggested and give them some of the ones I have.

Pic of hole in felt here:

If anything they should have replaced all the cracked tiles which is now potentially a lot harder to do because they've put the panels up?

I'd be more annoyed at the fact they've let you with cracked tiles you can't touch for a long time without headaches, and wanting to charge you for that on top.

Pass on the felt question I don't know anything at all about roofing except I have one! :D

Last edited:
Yeah good idea - thanks for the advice on this. I suppose one way to look at it is i've already saved enough in electricity, over the last few days, to repair the felt :)

Most of the cost isn't really in panels either, it's in install time, wiring in the inverters etc. It could if you're lucky get a bit cheaper, but I wouldn't expect sweeping cost reductions to be passed along.

Back
Top Bottom