Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Full charge the battery in the 1-4 window for extra saving session savings! :)
Can't, my smart meter isn't compatible/connected with Hugo :( Just trying to use whatever I had in the battery in my own usage before it charged, had like 8% left when it died, saying 0% for the last 30 minutes anyway!

Last edited:
Can't, my smart meter isn't compatible/connected with Hugo :( Just trying to use whatever I had in the battery in my own usage before it charged, had like 8% left when it died, saying 0% for the last 30 minutes anyway!

Hugo?

My smart meter is old gen SMETS1 and is connected up/working with Octopus no problems so far, doing the half hourly reads.

Mine is doing the same almost.
Its almost direct sun now and its not supposed to be by now, was supposed to cloud over by noon.
Its just under 1kwh but will jump imminently.

Still once my batts are fully charged excess will go to the water tank via diverter so generation if there is any won't go to waste once batts are full.

I'm intending to smash the aircon on heating mode for a bit, it's still a little chilly so I'll let the solar and grid power that for a bit :)

At least I'll get a somewhat efficient heating source of out the expense, not expecting to spend a lot anyway in this window, handful of kwh at most.

Hugo?

My smart meter is old gen SMETS1 and is connected up/working with Octopus no problems so far, doing the half hourly reads.

I'm intending to smash the aircon on heating mode for a bit, it's still a little chilly so I'll let the solar and grid power that for a bit :)

At least I'll get a somewhat efficient heating source of out the expense, not expecting to spend a lot anyway in this window, handful of kwh at most.
Yeah, I'm on old fixed rate tarriff with sainsburys and they can't do 30minute reads on my meter still, so tried to go through Hugo and still one of those meters that doesn't work.

Officially speaking nothing to charge as battery is 100% now via Solar so I'll just tell it to hold the charge at 100% :)

Spamming AC in heating mode consuming a couple of kw which is currently covered by the solar.

At least the house will be nice and warm if nothing else, but grid usage will be fairly minimal.

It's amateur hour here... After chasing the installer for an installation date (five months on after accepting their quote) they've finally come back to me saying that they didn't apply for the DNO and are looking at another three months before that can be sorted out. I don't know if this is a genuine issue or if they're just trying to fob me off. Either way it's a royal **** up as an April install will be too late to receive the EST loan.

Just venting to calm myself before I go check paperwork...

It's amateur hour here... After chasing the installer for an installation date (five months on after accepting their quote) they've finally come back to me saying that they didn't apply for the DNO and are looking at another three months before that can be sorted out. I don't know if this is a genuine issue or if they're just trying to fob me off. Either way it's a royal **** up as an April install will be too late to receive the EST loan.

Just venting to calm myself before I go check paperwork...

In the UK at least:

There is a form of DNO application that lets them install it but limit the export capacity to 3.6kw, apply for larger, but crack on with it I think?

G98 is the basic one that is auto accepted, G99 is the bigger capacity one, but there are one or two others that do different things. Some sort of fast track version I'm sure I saw someone post about here once.

Givenergy - I'm sure I used to be able to manage the battery from it - but perhaps they took it off.
On home page, top 3 horizontal lines, then settings, then preferences - toggle on quick settings button, back to home page and middle bottom should be able to quick control from there.
If not top right cog and alter times but remember to reset them to normal after the force charge

In the UK at least:

There is a form of DNO application that lets them install it but limit the export capacity to 3.6kw, apply for larger, but crack on with it I think?

G98 is the basic one that is auto accepted, G99 is the bigger capacity one, but there are one or two others that do different things. Some sort of fast track version I'm sure I saw someone post about here once.
Thanks for this info. I've looked it up and it appears to be quite straightforward. Although it doesn't inspire confidence that the installer hasn't suggested this

Back
Top Bottom