Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

“Bigger inverter”? First I’ve heard of this. You sure it was me that needed one?

I was told that the fast track application won’t be possible with my install. Don’t know why though.

I’ll be getting in touch with the EST as I need to sort something out regarding the loan before it’s too late. This delay may have a silver lining as it appears there are now grants available which I’m looking into
Sorry, I thought you needed the DNO for a 7Kw inverter but I must have misread. I was fobbed off repeatedly trying to get quotes for a 5 or 6Kw inverter instead og the 3.6kw growatt.

Grants, something I can apply for in the next 2 weeks? :)

Last edited:
8 times the price??? i get 15p/kwh and so do a lot of others, because we arent on any other conflicting tariffs...so twice the amount for me. I'm not sayng people cant earn it back, i just think some are being very economical with the truth and what they would call shifting my normal usage....

The low SEG rate is almost as bad as the gaming the system thing only in reverse, it's us being taken advantage of.

The energy price cap fixes what can be charged, but there are no minimum limitations on what can be paid, and you don't typically get many options except the hassle of changing supplier for SEG only, or waiting and hoping one day they improve it.

Fact...some are being very economical with the true of what their normal daily consumption
No need to be salty! Just because it doesn't match with your usage or beliefs doesn't mean others aren't using high amounts.
I've seen many posts with usages over three figures, depends on heating type, EV etc.

Sorry, I thought you needed the DNO for a 7Kw inverter but I must have misread. I was fobbed off repeatedly trying to get quotes for a 5 or 6Kw inverter instead og the 3.6kw growatt.

It's not inverter based, it's export capability.

Larger inverter can be capped by the installer to 3.6kW then you don't need anything more than a regular G98, but it does mean you can never export more than that.

3.6kW inverter will just never have any problem because it's limited by design to the G98 standard.

Larger inverter can be good even if export is capped, because it means you can import and charge the battery faster potentially.

The low SEG rate is almost as bad as the gaming the system thing only in reverse, it's us being taken advantage of.

The energy price cap fixes what can be charged, but there are no minimum limitations on what can be paid, and you don't typically get many options except the hassle of changing supplier for SEG only, or waiting and hoping one day they improve it.
i would prefer Zero SEG rates and net metering instead...i.e saving up the energy i have exported via the big companies and allowing me to use it the next day. So if i export 6 kwhs today, i get to use 6kwhs tmrw before getting billed, But that aint going to happen, so can only go with what's available

Larger inverter can be capped by the installer to 3.6kW then you don't need anything more than a regular G98, but it does mean you can never export more than that.
I didn't think that was the case. I thought a G100 certified 5Kw inverter capped at 3.6 still needs a G99 and the DNO has to come out and verify it's been configured.

I didn't think that was the case. I thought a G100 certified 5Kw inverter capped at 3.6 still needs a G99 and the DNO has to come out and verify it's been configured.
Here's the reply I had from SPEnergy networks asking about fitting 5Kw PV with 10Kw battery and a 5 or 6Kw inverter that was G100 certified and capped at 3.6Kw
So I guess, yes, if I had no batteries and only 3.6Kw PV it might be G98 even with the bigger inverter but capping the inverter isn't the end of the story.

"
If you are fitting 3.68kW PV only then yes, G98. Any of the other options below will be G99 and may be chargeable even if you G100 the export?

We would be required to do the network study to determine the above anyway."

I thought the point of G100 was to limit export though?

It makes sense to me that you can just go straight for a G100 with compatible inverter and just force yourself down to the G98 export limit without worrying about G99.

Last edited:

Grants, something I can apply for in the next 2 weeks? :)
I'm finding the whole process really painful to navigate. Too much information spread over too many difference sources. However, my understanding is that the DNO is dependent on the size of the solar panel array rather than the inverter.

Grants - doubt it. Five days for an email response to my initial query. I'm still waiting for a response to my second email which literally said, "Yes, I'd like to go ahead with the process. Please send me the details."

I'm finding the whole process really painful to navigate. Too much information spread over too many difference sources. However, my understanding is that the DNO is dependent on the size of the solar panel array rather than the inverter.

Grants - doubt it. Five days for an email response to my initial query. I'm still waiting for a response to my second email which literally said, "Yes, I'd like to go ahead with the process. Please send me the details."
no - its based on the inverter, anything lower than 3.7kws doesnt need approval. So you can fit 4kws of panels and a 3.6kw inverter and only tell the DNO once its fitted, no pre-approval required

What Size System can I install without Approval

Simple rule of thumb, you cannot install an inverter over 16amp without approval, so what you can install without approval is 5Kwp but with a 3700kw inverter, now you may think this doesn’t make sense and what would be the point.

Last edited:
no - its based on the inverter, anything lower than 3.7kws doesnt need approval. So you can fit 4kws of panels and a 3.6kw inverter and only tell the DNO once its fitted, no pre-approval required

What Size System can I install without Approval

Simple rule of thumb, you cannot install an inverter over 16amp without approval, so what you can install without approval is 5Kwp but with a 3700kw inverter, now you may think this doesn’t make sense and what would be the point.

This. Its based on the inverter rating.

Most inverters can accept oversized solar arrays, although its getting the right balance as don't want to be wasting any generation.

I've just had 4.7kw pannels fitted with a 3.6kw inverter. Had planned for another 2 pannels but neighbours roof caused issues

This. Its based on the inverter rating.

Most inverters can accept oversized solar arrays, although its getting the right balance as don't want to be wasting any generation.

I've just had 4.7kw pannels fitted with a 3.6kw inverter. Had planned for another 2 pannels but neighbours roof caused issues

You ideally want to add 30-50CM gap on the edges for stuff, so if you were leaving that much, I'd have just carried on and put the extra panels up myself.

Especially if you told them and they did nothing :)

You ideally want to add 30-50CM gap on the edges for stuff, so if you were leaving that much, I'd have just carried on and put the extra panels up myself.

Especially if you told them and they did nothing :)

Yerrr the gap was borderline but just decided wasn't worth the hassle with property being a link detached. It's annoying as warned him 6months ago about state of his roof/chimney... Just glad it's up and running at least.

Yerrr the gap was borderline but just decided wasn't worth the hassle with property being a link detached. It's annoying as warned him 6months ago about state of his roof/chimney... Just glad it's up and running at least.

I would have assumed you having scaffold up and running may have also been something they'd have liked to piggy back on, oh well, like you say :)

Back
Top Bottom