Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Lol Im trying to to fall out here, but immorality, really?

There is Zero issue with the morality of when I use my electricity.
I choose when I use it. I pay for it.
If there was a point where I could affect the amount that came from fossil fuels then that would be the point when morality would kick in. Produced by gas at 1am or 7am is no different.

So in your world, the fact I put the tumble drier on at 12 noon was immoral since that day was a savings session day and the window was 12am-3pm.
The next day when it went on at 12 noon was fine since it wasn't a savings session window.
Are you sure that is your position? Think about it, because that is effectively your argument.
what i find immoral....is moving energy to a window, that increases your chance of making money. Any other day moving energy to different times doesnt make you anything. The reason your doing it is financially related

I don't think we should be name calling - calling someone's actions immoral is different to calling that person a name. I think an apology wouldn't go amiss :)

We all have different perspectives - I agree with the hate the game not the player piece, but it's still a stupid system they've put in place. I don't mind people exploiting the system, I just think it's not a good system they've devised. I went for solar and batteries to lower my bills of course, but there was also a massive element of it being a sustainable solution to take the load off the grid as much as possible. Artificially loading the grid before a "saving session" is a daft strategy - especially as people will be loading it in excess of what they'd normally do to make money.

I don't blame people for that at all - the system allows them to do it. Just like I minimise my tax liabilities by using an accountant and still getting all the benefits of being a middle rate tax payer - it's not against the law - it's flexing the system. If they shut it down, I'll stop doing it.

Finger pointing and being antagonistic to one another won't change the rules / the situation. Let's just accept that morality aside we have different ways of seeing the world and as long as no one is breaking the law then frankly what they feel is right / wrong is entirely subjective. It's not really for us to judge as morally superior or not.

Last edited:
what i find immoral....is moving energy to a window, that increases your chance of making money. Any other day moving energy to different times doesnt make you anything. The reason your doing it is financially related

So we get to the crux of it then ;)

I have said before and I will say again, whilst we sit in a country where people can become millionaires due to dodgy contracts and doing the wrong thing I have no regrets at taking advantage of a dumb process not fully thought out.
My personal morality compass says dont use any energy I would not have used*. If I can benefit financially and meet that I have zero conscience in regards playing the game.
If the landscape changed and I could genuinely store 100% green energy for use later and avoid fossil generated I would, that would be the next morality box for me to tick.

* and this will remain. For example if there is a session in March but I wouldn't have put the heating on normally I still won't.
But if they give me notice and I can run my dishwasher in a certain window rather than elsewhere then there is zero impact on emissions from when I use it.
I will quite happily move some stuff around and get paid to do so.

Whilst I remain zero from grid during the actual windows of the saving sessions and making sure I do my bit for zero coal.
Anyone using anything from the grid during the actual savings sessions that is coal powered electricity are the immoral ones.
Now Welshman can you confirm you were zero from the grid during the actual savings sessions. Like the ones around 5pm in December? ;) You wont have been generating any solar at that point, did you turn everything off?

Annoying thing is that I can't get on the savings sesisons as i've got one of the useless smets1 meters that isn't connected up so can't even use Hugo to participate.

So we get to the crux of it then ;)

I have said before and I will say again, whilst we sit in a country where people can become millionaires due to dodgy contracts and doing the wrong thing I have no regrets at taking advantage of a dumb process not fully thought out.
My personal morality compass says dont use any energy I would not have used*. If I can benefit financially and meet that I have zero conscience in regards playing the game.
If the landscape changed and I could genuinely store 100% green energy for use later and avoid fossil generated I would, that would be the next morality box for me to tick.

* and this will remain. For example if there is a session in March but I wouldn't have put the heating on normally I still won't.
But if they give me notice and I can run my dishwasher in a certain window rather than elsewhere then there is zero impact on emissions from when I use it.
I will quite happily move some stuff around and get paid to do so.

Whilst I remain zero from grid during the actual windows of the saving sessions and making sure I do my bit for zero coal.
Anyone using anything from the grid during the actual savings sessions that is coal powered electricity are the immoral ones.
Now Welshman can you confirm you were zero from the grid during the actual savings sessions. Like the ones around 5pm in December? ;) You wont have been generating any solar at that point, did you turn everything off?
During those sessions i didnt turn anything off, because i used less than 200 watts in that hour......i dont think i can get much lower than that other than switching everything off entirely. But the session doesnt say, switch off your power and dont use none, it says can you move power away from that window and use it at another time. NOT switch use from other cheaper rates to before that window to maximise your gains.

lets remember something here, my average daily electric use is 4.2kwhs....for the entire day. Some used 48kwhs in 3 hours - 10 times what i use in a day

Last edited:
During those sessions i didnt turn anything off, because i used less than 200 watts in that hour......i dont think i can get much lower than that other than switching everything off entirely. But the session doesnt say, switch off your power and dont use none, it says can you move power away from that window and use it at another time. NOT switch use from other cheaper rates to before that window to maximise your gains.

lets remember something here, my average daily electric use is 4.2kwhs....for the entire day. Some used 48kwhs in 3 hours - 10 times what i use in a day

So you didn't do anything then to help the grid

Tut tut, immoral ;)

So you didn't do anything then to help the grid

Tut tut, immoral ;)
really..... what do you want me to do, make my disabled partner sit in the dark?? i think my low everyday usage, shows im already doing my upmost to remove pressure from the grid, so hardly immoral.

I mean last month is was billed for 85kwhs......just over twice what some one used in one 3 hour session.

Last edited:
really..... what do you want me to do, make my disabled partner sit in the dark?? i think my low everyday usage, shows im already doing my upmost to remove pressure from the grid, so hardly immoral.

I mean last month is was billed for 85kwhs......just over twice what some one used in one 3 hour session.

No not at all hence the ;)

However your not reducing it when the grid needs it most. Some may see that is immoral ;)

Your for sure a low user. We all make our choices I just think its wrong to say that one thing is or isnt immoral unless the majority person would see it that way
Eg I would say the majoity would say for example heating your garage to up your usage to earn more than it cost would be immoral seeing as your increasing the co2 output for financial gain, same for say putting the hot tub heater on you have no intention of using.
But switching what you would have used anyway to a different window, the majority aren't going to see that as immoral.

Anyway conversation done I think.

I will carry on basking in my zero from grid when its most strained moral high ground ;)

I'm guessing the last comment is a dig at me, but I can easily do that in a 4 hour session normally, sometimes more.
Anyway as Mercenary said, it's probably run its course, well at least until we see the returns for the next savings session! ;)

And the latest in this fast moving story... I've just been sent an invoice for a DNO application. I've not confirmed I still want the install to go ahead!
I'm impressed you managed to get a price out of them at all for a bigger inverter.

There was some chat on the facebook solar and battery UK group about new fast track G99 that seems to imply under ( trying to remember, 7Kw on a single phase?) could be fast tracked in that you'd get a reply within a couple of weeks.

Re loan, if you send them an updated quote they may send you a new loan agreement that resets the clock or just drop them an email saying the installer is mucking you about and see what they say.

Back
Top Bottom