Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

That’s crazy, my quote is under £15k for 20 panels (east west) and a 9.6kwh battery.

That said I did have one quote which was north of £21k for the above.

Last edited:
Prices are a **** take right now. Makes no sense imo when you compare it to what it cost just a year or two ago. Prices will come down eventually. Only so much demand at such silly prices.

I get my electric at around 20-22p these days on Octopus Tracker so makes zero sense for me.

I am also out
I have had crazy quotes and unprofessional behaviours in Cambridgeshire area. I even had a quote for £25 for 16 panels and 10kwh bat. With the price of electricity coming down, it makes no sense.
I ll install panels when and if installation prices reduce drastically, with no or minimal mark up and when I ll be respected as a customer and have transparency in billing and equipment supplied. If it never happens, I ll just have to live without panels. With a probable pay back time of 10-20 years if electricity prices indeed reduce, it is not a big deal.
I'm starting to feel the same way. I already have solar, was just looking for a battery to cover usage when the sun isn't shining. But it's becoming exhausting dealing with installers. I already have the DNO approval so feels a shame (and a waste of £360) to stop at this stage. Does DNO approval expire?

Last edited:
@sparkymark75 Yes DNO approval does expire, with UK Power networks you have to accept the approval within 6 months, you then have 12 months, or that may run from the offer date to install, commission and notify them.

Installing an AC connected battery is extremely easy, any competent electrician can do it far cheaper than what you have been quoted. Its one cable from your consumer unit, via an isolator to the inverter, then DC cables from the inverter to the battery, and a CT clamp on your mains supply. There will be be variations depending on what equipment you use, but that is basically it.

These are new, been a few teething issues, but they appear to be ironing them out https://www.fogstar.co.uk/search?type=article,page,product&q=Fogstar*+Energy*+Server*+Rack*+Battery*+48V* from a UK supplier with 8 year warranty.

Couple that with a suitable inverter (I would suggest a Victron Multiplus II GX 48/5000 (4kW) with a separate smart shunt), a couple of other bits and job done. For circa £6k + a days labour for an electrician you could have a 15kWh battery, for circa £10k you could have a 30kWh battery, both with a 4kW inverter.

Or you could knock £1250 off and use a Solis inverter although not at the same level as the Victron gear.

Last edited:
Install finished yesterday, unfortunately two of the 14 optimisers have errors so need to be replaced.

14x ja solar 395w panels (5.53kW)
14x Huawei optimiser (12 working)
Huawei 5kW invertor
Huawei Luna 10kW battery

Facing 150° with 9 panels on 35° roof other 5 on 20° roof. They couldn't fit another 2 on the end which would have brought me to 16 panels.

Please come out ☀️ weather looks good from tomorrow onwards in East Anglia.

Last edited:
Install finished today, unfortunately two of the 14 optimisers have errors so need to be replaced.

Huawei 5kW invertor
Huawei Luna 10kW battery

Facing 150° with 9 panels on 35° roof other 5 on 20° roof.

Inverter battery outside? :eek:

Inverter battery outside? :eek:
No reason why they can't, Huawei even advertise them sitting outside on their literature, ip65 rated. It's in a sheltered area and the sun never reaches the area it's positioned.

I'd much rather have something which has a risk of fire externally, the battery has self extinguishing capabilities but would rather it outside too with the amount of potential energy in it.

When I see them in lofts what happens if something did occur and a fire started? The fire brigade will be hosing down from the outside with no way to get up there whilst your roof burns down.

Fortunately live in a nice area although I am thinking about putting a bit of fence on the side of the house just for a bit more protection.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
No reason why they can't, Huawei even advertise them sitting outside on their literature, ip65 rated. It's in a sheltered area and the sun never reaches the area it's positioned.

I'd much rather have something which has a risk of fire externally, the battery has self extinguishing capabilities but would rather it outside too with the amount of potential energy in it.

Fortunately live in a nice area although I am thinking about putting a bit of fence on the side of the house just for a bit more protection.
Maybe hes thinking of the cold winter for the battery

Install finished yesterday, unfortunately two of the 14 optimisers have errors so need to be replaced.

Huawei 5kW invertor
Huawei Luna 10kW battery

Facing 150° with 9 panels on 35° roof other 5 on 20° roof. They couldn't fit another 2 on the end which would have brought me to 16 panels.

Nice, but looks like you had space for a couple more panels on the main roof.

Nice, but looks like you had space for a couple more panels on the main
How come you went for the optimisers?
They couldn't fit them on without running tight on the verge.

They do get some shading later in the day but in addition optimisers offer;

1. Module level monitoring which provides historical data for each optimizer:
· Output power
· Total energy
· Output voltage
· Output current
· Input voltage
· Input current
· Temperature
2. Safety:
· Pinpointig arcs precisely
· Reduces module voltage to a safe voltage when the optimizers are switched off
3. Maximum energy output from each PV module
4. Suitable for almost all commonly PV modules (60/72, mono/poly)
5. Easy pin point any panel issues for future maintenance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom