Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

This is crazy; I've just had a quote of £16k for 16 x 375w panels, 5k inverter, and 2 x 5.2kwh batteries. Given your quote, and those from @HungryHippos, seems like something amiss with mine! Proving difficult to get any quotes at all in Wales, mind...
Don't forget mine - 7.2kW solar array (18'panels), Tigo optimisers, 2 x gen2 inverters and 2 x 9.5kW gen2 batteries. All for 14k

Anyway, since I'm in Lincs, I'll give TCL Solar a call since they've been mentioned positively a few times on here

I've signed up with them, the are doing an install early July, for 12 panels, 4.5kw system no battery though, £7k.

I've heard good things also but obviously cannot vouch, so fingers crossed.

They guy will try and talk you out of getting a battery though, did with us, basically says that until you have the statistics for a while, getting a battery isn't always the best option and it's worth making sure it's worth the quite hefty extra cost.

I kinda get it, if your battery is say £3.5k, you need to be confident within the life of the battery it'll save you that in electricity, the panels will, eventually pay for themselves, the battery may not.

I guess it depends on your roof space, whilst our is ok, it's not quite south facing, more like 140 on the compass, so during the winter might not generate that much.

We'll see.....

He did say it would be easy to install a battery into the existing system later.

Edit: sorry forgot to mention that does include a device that dumps excess energy generated into our hot water tank, so that should save some heating oil.

Last edited:
4.5kw system no battery though, £7k

£7k for 4.5kWp? That seems extortionate to me, 12x 390w panels are £1500, and an inverter rated for 5kW is £500-600 for a non-hybrid model. Add on the rails, wiring etc., about £500, so you are paying £4.5k for the labour and scaffold.

They guy will try and talk you out of getting a battery though,

Because they can't get stock and want your money now, for what you are being charge you could easily get someone else to do it with a battery.

The other thing to mention is both the wife and I work from home permanently.

So whilst they don't use that much power, it's 8 hours of 4 pc monitors and 2 laptops, kettle use etc. As well as all the other things, fridge, freezer, internet router etc that run 24/7.

You can do do things like using the washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher staggered throughout the day, to get the most out of what you are generating through the day with the excess going into the hot water.

I've just had two quotes from one company, feel the price is still high, but they aren't local, they are in Leeds so may have travelling & accommodation, as I'm in Broadstairs.

System 1 £10,495, 12 x JA Solar 390w panels (4.7KW), FoxESS 3.6kW Hydrid + HV2600 7.8kW battery
System 2 £10,995, 12 x Jinko N-Type 400w panels (4.8kW), GivEnergy 3.6kW Hybrid Bundle with 9.5Kwh battery

Still got quotes to come from two more local companies, and still considering DIY but that will need a willing electrician to sign it off etc.

OK thats £1200 difference. To not have e-on sub contract it to whoever. I can live with that.

Haha, so you are happy to pay £1,200 more than just ask for a better quote. You must chuck money around like it's going out of fashion.

Edit:

Also they seem to have their own install teams, but you can throw assumptions around all you like.

Could be worth trying these guys as well @Ron-ski they were my second cheapest one I think.

They were pretty quick at doing the quote too, your mileage may vary though.

No idea how good they actually are with the install work or anything, but it's a national one I think rather than operating in a local area.

I'm thinking about getting a quote for a solar panel install, any recommendations for east Midlands? Although some of the prices being quoted on here look absolutely crazy. I'm guessing price gouging is in full swing?

Back
Top Bottom