Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

@SBo battery is 3.2Kw the £150 is just a pay this and we may do it, there's been no mention of payment plans or other schemes. They are doing a webinar before the cut off date so hopefully we can glean more information from that.

So I've had one company out today (Greener Living), quote below, Install time out be 1.5 Days, and available in the next few weeks.

At a high Level

16 x 385 Watt Panels (TSM-385DE09.05)
Solax 5.8 kWh Total Battery Storage (1 x T-BAT H 5.8)
SolaX Power 5 kW Total Inverter Rating (1 x X3-5.0-T-N)

Warranties: 15 Year Panel Product Warranty, 25 Year Panel Performance Warranty, 10 Year Battery Product Warranty

Includes all cabling, labour, scaffolding and the attachment to the hot water cylinder to generate hot water from excess solar rather than use gas.

£11,885

Had my first quote in today, seems expensive at £9,264, no scaffold required as flat roof on a detached double garage.

• 9 x JA Solar panels 370 W with Solis 3kW Inverter and Tigo Optimisers
  • Pylon US2000C 2.4kWh Li-Ion Solar Battery
  • Renusol - on roof rail system

There drawing is also done on the wrong garage, even though I explained exactly where the garage was. They've orientated the panels facing exactly south , if they'd put them slightly south west, so parallel to the roof, then 12 would fit on, I expect the additional 3 panels far out weighing the small loss from not facing exactly south.

What's peoples thoughts?

Had my first quote in today, seems expensive at £9,264, no scaffold required as flat roof on a detached double garage.

There drawing is also done on the wrong garage, even though I explained exactly where the garage was. They've orientated the panels facing exactly south , if they'd put them slightly south west, so parallel to the roof, then 12 would fit on, I expect the additional 3 panels far out weighing the small loss from not facing exactly south.

What's peoples thoughts?

I'm having 18 panels split across two flat roof areas - in an east-west configuration otherwise I would only have 12 panels facing directly south due to spacing because of shadowing from the panel Infront.
In my opinion this number will outweigh the direct South option

What's peoples thoughts?

That does seem on the pricey side.

So I've had one company out today (Greener Living), quote below, Install time out be 1.5 Days, and available in the next few weeks.

At a high Level

16 x 385 Watt Panels (TSM-385DE09.05)
Solax 5.8 kWh Total Battery Storage (1 x T-BAT H 5.8)
SolaX Power 5 kW Total Inverter Rating (1 x X3-5.0-T-N)

Warranties: 15 Year Panel Product Warranty, 25 Year Panel Performance Warranty, 10 Year Battery Product Warranty

Includes all cabling, labour, scaffolding and the attachment to the hot water cylinder to generate hot water from excess solar rather than use gas.

£11,885

That's a pretty good price, good amount of panels with that, should be a nice system.

That's a pretty good price, good amount of panels with that, should be a nice system.

The rep was showing me similar customers setup that have permitted their data to be shown, battery topped up to full by 11am, few hundred watt used by the hour, everything else went to hot water tank and then SEG returns.

Looking at 8 years at current prices for ROI, probably down to 4/5 if prices do go up another 54% in October.

I'm still going to setup a small off grid system once I've built the shed, mainly to have a play with powering garden lights with battery and then charging ebike battery etc.

We've just put a deposit down on a 4.5kw system, no battery, but thing that tops up the hot water tank with excess, £7k all in.

Reckons July for install.

The guy is adamant a battery isn't a good solution for us, and said if the statistics prove otherwise in the future, it's not a big deal to add one at a later date.

I'm still going to setup a small off grid system once I've built the shed, mainly to have a play with powering garden lights with battery and then charging ebike battery etc.

Thats exactly what im doing at the moment. Ive got a 100watt panel that charges a power bank up and i use that to charge phones, ipads, electric tools etc etc. and in a few weeks im installing a seperate 100watt panel that will charge a battery to run led lights, water pump and a few other things around the garden.

We've just put a deposit down on a 4.5kw system, no battery, but thing that tops up the hot water tank with excess, £7k all in.

Reckons July for install.

The guy is adamant a battery isn't a good solution for us, and said if the statistics prove otherwise in the future, it's not a big deal to add one at a later date.

Thanks for sharing. I am getting quotes in too for some installation however not going to go overboard and may get just the panels (the pitch was impressing the hot water cylinder thing - which sounds great but dont want extras bumping up unless reasonable).

Not caught up with this recently been a little busy, going with the same solar company that @SoliD used. Can't remember if I posted this before, but this is what I'm getting:
  • 12 x JA 370W panels (two sets of 6 both in string configuration)
  • 5KW Givenergy Hybrid Inverter
  • 8.2KWH Givenergy battery
  • Bird stop (better to ask and get than not ask and have pigeons)
Total: £8250 with 0% VAT.

They said the new 9.5KWH Givenergy battery is likely to be used instead, but it's expected to only cost a little more than the 8.2KWH one they've quoted me for.

Cost may have been a bit lower but needs a bit more scaffold as it's one two roof sections and the roof is slate, which they said adds a little to the cost, but seems reasonable.

Expecting ROI within 10 years certainly, and as others have said if prices go up even higher, it will just speed up ROI. It also means I can use excess daytime generation to help power my AC.

Needs a DNO application, due to the system size I think they have to apply before they can do the work, if the inverter is less than 3.6KW I think they don't, but it may clip peak generation to a max of 3.6KW.

That quote really shows just how bad the one I got was, I'd happily pay that for that system. Do you mind sharing who the company is, just in case they cover this far over?

Your legally allowed to export up to 3.6KW, they can't stop you, if the local network isn't up to it then they have to upgrade it, at least that's what I read on another forum.

Not caught up with this recently been a little busy, going with the same solar company that @SoliD used. Can't remember if I posted this before, but this is what I'm getting:
  • 12 x JA 370W panels (two sets of 6 both in string configuration)
  • 5KW Givenergy Hybrid Inverter
  • 8.2KWH Givenergy battery
  • Bird stop (better to ask and get than not ask and have pigeons)
Total: £8250 with 0% VAT.

They said the new 9.5KWH Givenergy battery is likely to be used instead, but it's expected to only cost a little more than the 8.2KWH one they've quoted me for.

Cost may have been a bit lower but needs a bit more scaffold as it's one two roof sections and the roof is slate, which they said adds a little to the cost, but seems reasonable.

Expecting ROI within 10 years certainly, and as others have said if prices go up even higher, it will just speed up ROI. It also means I can use excess daytime generation to help power my AC.

Needs a DNO application, due to the system size I think they have to apply before they can do the work, if the inverter is less than 3.6KW I think they don't, but it may clip peak generation to a max of 3.6KW.

Great to hear you finally got there. The quotes being posted on here show how much some companies are taking the biscuit. The company is solar powerful based out of Clanfield.

Back
Top Bottom