Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

It costs £lol but that will be a house that also costs £lol so it fits in just nicely.

Power walls are near £10k installed here, that house had either 2 or 4?

I watched a video last night of someone installing 3x 20kwh libi units into a house and they already had a huge battery storage setup and a huge field mounted solar array. I’ve got no idea why you’d need so much in a house…

There is a lot of money floating around still…

Last edited:
I haven't looked at Tesla tiles for a very long time but I remember the concept of them were they were kind of an image with the solar tech on top so it was pretty easy to have different designs. They 'could' have had a similar looking tile to what was on there originally. In the video they were nice but the roof did seem very black and shiny and a bit out of place at the location, but sill looked good.

With people moving completely to electric for heating and EV cars I can see people using 60Kwh batteries...if you had enough solar to fill them up you can run a bitcoin miner or two. Free bitcoin from the sun :)

With people moving completely to electric for heating and EV cars I can see people using 60Kwh batteries...if you had enough solar to fill them up you can run a bitcoin miner or two. Free bitcoin from the sun :)
I'm not sure. In a way, I think EVs will limit the useful size of home batteries.

I was thinking about getting another home battery to up our storage. However we've now got a 2023 EV coming and it'll have a 95kwh battery. So, there's very little point having more storage in a battery than we use in the window between the 'big' EV getting charged overnight.

Spare solar during the day may as well go straight into an EV instead of a home battery.

had someone round today to measure loft they said it looks really good.

Internal measurements of loft were 6.1m Width and 4m length with 4m rise with 32 degree pitch but when I enter the rise and length I get this, what am I missing?

image.png

They also said 3x3 panels, no chance for 10 so won't even get a 4kw system :(

Last edited:
had someone round today to measure loft they said it looks really good.

Internal measurements of loft were 6.1m Width and 4m length with 4m rise with 32 degree pitch but when I enter the rise and length I get this, what am I missing?

image.png

They also said 3x3 panels, no chance for 10 so won't even get a 4kw system :(
why do you need the above when they have already told you the measurements and what can be fitted??

I'm not sure what your're counting as width / length, or what shape your roof is.

What size panels are being quoted for?
I confused myself on that, but this
image.png

Trina 425w panels, they do do 430 but none in stock currently.

9x425w Panels + 2x 9.5kw GE batteries = £13,261
9x425w Panels + 3x Solax Triple Power 5.8kwh = £13,128

Last edited:
6m x 4m should be fine for 3 rows of 3 landscape, assuming typical 1.8 x 1.2 (ish) dimensions
6 x 4 is the dimensions of the loft though, not the roof. And, according to that diagram, there's a peak in the middle? I'm confused.

Not that it changes anything. If that's what they've measured - that's what'll fit. I expect they know full well what they're doing.

Last edited:
6 x 4 is the dimensions of the loft though, not the roof. And, according to that diagram, there's a peak in the middle? I'm confused.

Not that it changes anything. If that's what they've measured - that's what'll fit. I expect they know full well what they're doing.

True, my suspicion is one of them dimensions is off.
If its really only 4 meters deep then its 13 feet roughly so would be an odd shaped house for sure, like a 2 up 2 down but with the rooms crosswise rather than depthwise

Bear in mind post 7760

Last edited:
This is what was in the quotation

image.png

They know its a pitched roof, this is what the chap wrote down

20230615_162050.jpg

Its all french to me but im guessing the 4x6 is the inside loft area (Although measuring from corner to corner of home the 4m is ~2m short when I went down the alleyway) and I was told and floor to ceiling was 4m I was told over phone.

Edit

This was their original quote

image.png

Was hoping to go with a bigger system for a 5kw inverter for the higher load that can be delivered to house before feeding from grid, might get an extra battery though.

Last edited:

image.png

20230615_162050.jpg

Its all french to me but im guessing the 4x6 is the inside loft area (Although measuring from corner to corner of home the 4m is ~2m short when I went down the alleyway) and I was told and floor to ceiling was 4m I was told over phone.

Edit

image.png

Was hoping to go with a bigger system for a 5kw inverter for the higher load that can be delivered to house before feeding from grid, might get an extra battery though.

You can have as large an inverter as you want. If the DNO requests it to be capped thats for export only.
There could be a very minor efficiency loss with a larger one (most seem to quote same efficiency anyway when I was looking)*, and it will cost slightly more.

*Some larger ones have slightly higher startup voltage, its pretty irrelevant unless its significantly different.

image.png

20230615_162050.jpg

Edit

image.png

But you cant have a bigger system as the panels wont fit…….to fit four panels in landscape, that would be 4 x 1.67 = 6.68mtrs.
You only have 6.1mtrs

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom