Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

I would only go with micro inverters if the panels were facing different directions or there was significant shading. Otherwise, you're adding multiple points of failure in hard to access locations.

Replacing a single main inverter is relatively quick and simple.
Got a chimney on roof that starts shading panels ~6pm, will take a while to get someone out to look at panels if one of them goes duff and in the mean time the rest wont generate. Failure rate is extremely low on them.

Last edited:
I was yeah but how is the charge rate too low? I thought the batteries were fine with octopus?

You need to check the gen 3 charge rate.
Depends what tariff you move onto but you need quite a high charge rate to charge 19kwh of batteries in most of the cheap rate windows.
Eg go is 4 hours so you would need to charge at close to 5kw in order to fill them (if empty) in the 4 hour window.

@katie279 had an issue with GE charge rate on I believe Gen 2? and could not charge in the go window with 1 inverter.

You need to check the gen 3 charge rate.
Depends what tariff you move onto but you need quite a high charge rate to charge 19kwh of batteries in most of the cheap rate windows.
Eg go is 4 hours so you would need to charge at close to 5kw in order to fill them (if empty) in the 4 hour window.

@katie279 had an issue with GE charge rate on I believe Gen 2? and could not charge in the go window with 1 inverter.
oh I dont mind not charging to 100% every time, since I can't get close to 5kw solar install the max I could top out at is 3.6 if I go for the non micro inverter route, I would have gone for a 5kw inverter on a sub 4kw solar install but that is not a good idea from what ive heard and read.

Last edited:
Got a chimney on roof that starts shading panels ~6pm, will take a while to get someone out to look at panels if one of them goes duff and in the mean time the rest wont generate. Failure rate is extremely low on them.

Modern panels will in effect self isolate if a problem effectively via diversions.
Mine do so in two halves even

Micro inverters do help a bit but the ROI isnt likely unless you have a large issue.

Do you mean 6pm at current sun positioning?
Thats quite late TBH unless array is pure west I wouldn't worry about that timing, E or S will be falling off a cliff by then anyway

ah you got an AIO system

GE do one of those but for some reason doesn't list charge rate in watts

I would like to expand in the future but that means sorting out and getting something built in back garden to support a few extra panels.

Last edited:
ah you got an AIO system

GE do one of those but for some reason doesn't list charge rate in watts

I would like to expand in the future but that means sorting out and getting something built in back garden to support a few extra panels.

Its not AIO just looks like it

yeah that is what I was talking about, considering the array I set up it would be a 3.8kw system on a 5kw inverter if I wanted the extra charge rate, not surprised you could get up to 5.5 I would have loved to have done that and could if I had somewhere to set up 4 panels in back garden but I would have to have something built first.

Your array size and inverter size do not need to be that closely linked when you have batteries as well
You, well your installer, should be speccing a hybrid to match both

Back
Top Bottom