Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

But you cant have a bigger system as the panels wont fit…….to fit four panels in landscape, that would be 4 x 1.67 = 6.68mtrs.
You only have 6.1mtrs
oh I know, I was hoping for a big one but those were dashed by the roof size :( If I want to set something out back I am going to go under the assumption it would have to be on a separate inverter if I wanted a bigger array.

He did its difficult phrasing hes using but I took it he meant total load and that means panels + batteries.
I was assuming he thought he couldnt have a larger inverter now as he is getting fewer panels, if that makes sense.
Sorry I meant the draw on the home, say we put something on that uses 3kw and the current home usage is ~1kw I was under the assumption that a larger inverter would allow for more load draw on the home.

For everything but electric showers I wanted to be completely solar+battery but ill take what I can get :)

Last edited:
Sorry I meant the draw on the home, say we put something on that uses 3kw and the current home usage is ~1kw I was under the assumption that a larger inverter would allow for more load draw on the home.

They do yes, but the generation has to come from current panel production and/or batteries

Larger inverters often do have a higher capacity to delivery from batteries but can also be limited by battery as well

My inverter will deliver up to 5.5kwh (constant, higher on peak) but thats quite a lot so its basically panels at peak spike or support from batteries.
My batteries will also delivery 5.5kwh as well, but many, like earlier GE wont deliver high current.

They do yes, but the generation has to come from current panel production and/or batteries

Larger inverters often do have a higher capacity to delivery from batteries but can also be limited by battery as well

My inverter will deliver up to 5.5kwh (constant, higher on peak) but thats quite a lot so its basically panels at peak spike or support from batteries.
My batteries will also delivery 5.5kwh as well, but many, like earlier GE wont deliver high current.
Indeed, that is why I was disappointed I couldn't get enough on the roof for a 5kw inverter but at least I can get what roof space is available filled up :)

Will his suppliers want to do a G99 application for the inverter though, knowing he can only 3.6kw of panels……unless he insists

Any decent installer should have no issue doing a G99.
Its not a lot of work and they have all the info.

Its kind of like a simple early test, if its too much hastel I would be thinking hard about using them IMO

Ive got solax but there are two main differing versions. I have issues with mine, the 3.1kwh ones and its taking time to get resolved.
The interface is clunky as well, as discussed like most chinese based ones.
They are however powerful when you need them.

GE seems mainly the opposite, less powerful, but better UI and support.
I think the recent changes to GE have upped the "output" somewhat.

Whatever you do make sure you get the specs and understand them.
GE may offer more peak with multiple batteries.

Although even though you mentioned it, how often in reality do you sustain high loads. Most high enegy devices tend to be short spurts, like DW, washing machine, ovens rather than constant load.

Looking at the Givenergy stuff, the inverters are up to gen3 now, when I looked couple months ago it was still 1+2 hehe, also noticed they released a honking AIO unit like the powerwall.

Think im going to pull the plug on either one of two Givenergy systems.

Both are sadly for 9x425w Trina Vertex S+ panels (wanted more) but with a couple of options though I might ask considering they are near identical in size (1772 vs Trina 1762) the Jinko 435w Tiger Neo panels.

Standard Gen3 Inverter + 2x 9.5kw batteries
Equipment £10,985
Install £2,575
Total £13,560

Enphase Micro-inverter system (IQ7A , GE AC Coupled Inverter + 2x 9.5kw batteries
Equipment £12,652
Install £2,575
Total £15,227

Price Difference £1,667

Now, I have the money for both and the individual panel monitoring would be nice if anything were to happen to one of the panels it wont be a guessing game and the only thing that will stop solar production dead would be the AC inverter and that would be a dead giveaway as to what the problem is and the main draw back would be 3,000w output vs 3,600w with the 3.6kw inverter which would mean slower battery charge overnight during winter but even then it wont be that much difference.

Both options come a couple thousand under max budget.

Last edited:
I would only go with micro inverters if the panels were facing different directions or there was significant shading. Otherwise, you're adding multiple points of failure in hard to access locations.

Replacing a single main inverter is relatively quick and simple.

Anyone here on Octopus Outgoing? Wondering how it's going and...if it's true that it's 15p rather than the 4p you get on FIT?

I have a small 2.5kw set up. No batteries or EV.....so I think it's ideal just looking for boots on the ground advice!

Are you planning to charge the batteries on cheap units outside the summer?
I think there was an issue with that in that the charge rate is too low for eg octopus go

Talking about the GE inverter here.
I was yeah but how is the charge rate too low? I thought the batteries were fine with octopus? Economy + Go are listed in the things that work with octopus.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom