Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Good work, save that photo then link the grounding wires together on the first battery. That’s a dangerous omission to not ground battery and inverter. Incompetence though rather than planned as it costs them nothing.

Very intrigued to see what the battery data says, it sounds from the forum that Pytes have been helpful so my hope is that they will look at the data, offer the firmware update if applicable and if that doesn’t fix it then warranty replace them. Keep us posted!
Maybe a bit more than mere incompetence - of which my installer has plenty - but I think that lead that first electrician did not install is a bit short hence why he tocked it away.

Once I have the data for the two batteries (with the front as master), I should have enough data to write to Pytes. Will see what they say. I am 100% not the buyer though so unsure how something like that works. Must be common enough as these solar installer's definition of "we sell you a system with with components of our choosing, installed by us etc. and do a total runner" seems to be widespread. Not even sure if my cowboys are the extreme bottom.
Octopus data updates for the previous day at any time during the day
Because of BST you get this odd one hour thing. That doesn't apply in the winter months.
Yes, had enough of the various weird logs so started importing everything into a database. Took Octopus' timestamps as varchar and then did a bit of substring stuff taking account of the +01:00 and adding it to the UTC. That import script should be fine for the winter too when I would assume they'll have +00:00.

I now have the Cisco cable and put my laptop (it doesn't get that much usage) in the attic and can remote into it.

See what I can find there but so far I haven't found much. Still, if I need to contact Pytes I can now quote them the firmware versions and stuff:
Device address
1​
2​
ManufacturerPYTESPYTES
Device nameE-BOX-48100R-CE-BOX-48100R-C
Board versionSQBMSV15SQBMSV15
Main Soft versionSPBMS16SRP2203V1.5.17.C8SPBMS16SRP2203V1.5.17.C8
Soft versionV1.5V1.5
Boot versionV1.9V1.9
Comm versionV2.0V2.0
Release Date
22/12/2012​
22/12/2012​
BarcodeLC0B010402430687LC0B010402430690
Board IDGD33353155001036373436724BGD333531550011363734367818
Board SRAM Size96KB96KB
Board FLASH Size256KB256KB
Specification51.2V/100AH51.2V/100AH
Cell Number
16​
16​
Max Dischg Curr-102000mA-102000mA
Max Charge Curr102000mA102000mA
Console Port rate
115200​
115200​
No idea how to swap to the 2nd device in the console so went up there and changed the cable. #1 is current master. All identical aside from the serial numbers.
EDIT: it is simple as the number, e.g. info 1 or info 2, at least for some commands.

The diysolarforum thread on the Pytes did have people getting stuff out of the battery via the console.

Tried some businesses who advertise themselves as offering solar inspection but the first said it too far (well Gloucs to Sussex is quite far), the second asked for more details but after I responded about wanting a report on the battery system they never came back.

Wonder if installers simply make too much money to provide stuff like that, or they don't want to give a written report in the case they ever have to deal with the rogue installer at some point? On the other hand, with so many bad installers reporting on what they did wrong could be a full time job. My fear is of course that if take legal action, then without an "expert" agreeing with our findings it may be hard to get a judgment even in a small claims court.

Anyway before that, I am going to this week's finding and write up another formal complaint to our installer focusing only on the batteries and try to drop in some wording from the Consumer Rights Act 2015 so they get the hint that we are prepared to go further.

I'm generating. Pity it's like December here.
Ah, it may look like December but I still got 6.3 kWh today:
070Cs2u.png

Mid-winter will be a lot worse than that!

Last edited:
Started putting further panels on the house roof today. Forgot how much of chore it is on slate roofing :( took me 2 hours to do just 3 brackets as I broke 4 slates that then needed replacing.

Good news is I under measured. Space for another 2 panels which I will order tmw. Will bring the solar to 8.7kw.

Next year I would like to fill the south east side of the house which is another 15 panels. Just need to convince the wife!

If your staying in the house long term, then it will pay for itself, so a very good idea.

No plans on moving now, so will probably go ahead, just need to work on the wife! To be fair, I ll probably just end up ordering and deal with the consequences :)

It’s addictive this green energy!

Last edited:
My Octopus Flux has gone live and I've had a confirmation email that my exports are up and running.

It asked for an export reading which I supplied from my Liberty 100 smart meter (244kWh). When I look at my Octopus account it gives a different figure (24.3kWh so far this week).

How often do I need to supply meter readings? And how accurate is the Octopus account page in people's experiences? Do I need to keep an eye on things to make sure it's adding up?

Last edited:
My Octopus Flux has gone live and I've had a confirmation email that my exports are up and running.

It asked for an export reading which I supplied from my Liberty 100 smart meter (244kWh). When I look at my Octopus account it gives a different figure (24.3kWh so far this week).

How often do I need to supply meter readings? And how accurate is the Octopus account page in people's experiences? Do I need to keep an eye on things to make sure it's adding up?

It's automatic for me, I only had to supply opening value which they asked for when signing up.

Since then I get 30 min breakdown export values same as my import ones, and they pay me accurately so far.

We have just put in for a quote for a system, I was wondering what is deemed ok for sizing. I have asked for 5kw of panels and 9kw of storage. Is this the right kind of balance. We have a south facing roof with a couple of chimneys and it gets the sun until around 6pm in the summer until the sun goes over the house.

We have just put in for a quote for a system, I was wondering what is deemed ok for sizing. I have asked for 5kw of panels and 9kw of storage. Is this the right kind of balance. We have a south facing roof with a couple of chimneys and it gets the sun until around 6pm in the summer until the sun goes over the house.

Go as big as you reasonably can on things is my motto.

4kw of panels minimum, that kind of battery storage should be OK but depends on how much you use as well.

Make sure inverter spec is similar to panels as well, often people will try and cheap out with a 3.6kW inverter as it's pre-approved G98 application where larger can need G99.

Get more panels if you can fit them on your roof safely. They are relatively cheap and will help boost winter numbers as well as max out export payments.

Probably get more than 1 quote.

GivEnergy is probably the brand I'd recommend if you can get that, some of the others may be a little cheaper but I like GE and they seem to reasonably support kit + have decent data tools with their portal so you can see what the system is up to.

Last edited:
Reactions: SBo
Thanks I will look into fitting more panels on. Ideally I would half like a split system with 5kw on the house and 4kw on the garage but I assume that isn’t possible.

Last edited:
Thanks I will look into fitting more panels on. Ideally I would half like a split system with 5kw on the house and 4kw on the garage but I assume that isn’t possible.

You'd be surprised with what is possible.

There are maximums which one inverter can do, and also maximums on a single string input as well, but I don't think there is much stopping you going for two inverters for example.

Worth getting the most you can and asking the installers what they can do!

Back
Top Bottom