Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

I self installed 25 panels and 20kw storage. Wired up and new circuits done by electrician.

I have just paid Octopus for the non MCs export. I have saved a fortune by going this route.

So far the system has cost me circa 13.5k. But for that I have:

10.5kw panels
6kw hybrid inverter
20kw storage in heated cab
New consumer unit for the circuits
All certs apart from MCs.

I think once you have an MPAN it matters not what happens with Octopus moving forwards.

Last edited:
I self installed 25 panels and 20kw storage. Wired up and new circuits done by electrician.

I have just paid Octopus for the non MCs export. I have saved a fortune by going this route.

So far the system has cost me circa 13.5k. But for that I have:

10.5kw panels
6kw hybrid inverter
20kw storage in heated cab
New consumer unit for the circuits
All certs apart from MCs.

I think once you have an MPAN it matters not what happens with Octopus moving forwards.
What do you mean, you paid octopus for non mcs exports??

Has anyone managed over 12kw on a G99? My electrician has said they limit single phase at 60amps but only if the local transformer can take it. I have 6kw export but want permission for another 8kw for my pending second install. I’m going to submit a further application this week.

furthermore has anyone had to pay for a large export, ie a payment to the grid? I have read sometimes there is a payment request on larger installs.

Last edited:
It is fairly steep I agree but so are “professional” installs that are MCS certified which I have avoided.
The whole MCS thing is a joke. The amount of installs I see that are certified but not done to the regs is ridiculous.

Last edited:
It is fairly steep I agree but so are “professional” installs that are MCS certified which I have avoided.
The whole MCS thing is a joke. The amount of installs I see that are certified but not done to the regs is ridiculous.
My install was only 5k…….so not too bad really, as i didnt go the battery route as im a light user and wanted to do export to help recover costs.

Glad i got mcs lol…..£250 is a lot to make back on export.

Sure you saved £250 but they saved £X000 on installer margin and labour costs on their rather large system.

I've got absolutely no doubt I could have saved £x000 doing a lot of the donkey work myself for my system but I was happy to pay for someone else to do it so I didn't have to.

Last edited:
yeah thats not too bad to be fair. I’m hoping by summer mine will be exporting on good days 100 plus, so payback shouldn’t take long, if exports stay strong come April price changes.

yeah thats not too bad to be fair. I’m hoping by summer mine will be exporting on good days 100 plus, so payback shouldn’t take long, if exports stay strong come April price changes.
Are you looking to export 100kWh per day off 10.5kW PV array or when you've added more - if original you'd be lucky to get more than 70kWh generation on perfect days.

Has anyone had any experience DIYing a solar/battery system

See my build thread, linked below, I would do things slightly differently if doing it again, I wouldn't self build the batteries, there are some very built batteries available now for less money, but prices have dropped.

Has anyone managed over 12kw on a G99

I got 11.6kW, but did originally apply for more, which I also got, but then equipment changed. The whole G99 things seems a bit of a mess and UKPN seemed a bit clueless/confused, and others have experienced the same.

See my build thread, linked below, I would do things slightly differently if doing it again, I wouldn't self build the batteries, there are some very built batteries available now for less money, but prices have dropped.

I got 11.6kW, but did originally apply for more, which I also got, but then equipment changed. The whole G99 things seems a bit of a mess and UKPN seemed a bit clueless/confused, and others have experienced the same.
Nice one Ron, I ll keep you posted if I’m successful.

I'm not sure exactly what I'd recommend, I'd probably use something that Andy has reviewed.

or if you wanted to buy from a UK company

Sure you saved £250 but they saved £X000 on installer margin and labour costs on their rather large system.

I've got absolutely no doubt I could have saved £x000 doing a lot of the donkey work myself for my system but I was happy to pay for someone else to do it so I didn't have to.
Same with any DIY work really. Fit a kitchen yourself and save thousands, bathroom etc. Personally roof work is not for me so I got the experts in.

Back
Top Bottom