Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it. I am with octopus so will see if I can get on GO. I think intelligent GO is only good for compatible chargers and/or cars or batteries. I don't have anything that will work with it.

Go is great outside of when you MAY export a load. (Ie Oct-Feb give or take)
If you are going to export a load then flux probably makes sense for the period when exporting a load is likely, March-Sept.
As ever your mileage will vary based on many factors, but primarily generation potential vs usage, and how hard you want to work your batteries.

Oh and with Solax Flux is a PITA.

Why would it matter to suppliers who fitted the solar. I get that people applying for grants etc etc need to meet a standard. But surely suppliers get nothing from it
It all derives from the government MCS scheme and the old FIT payments I think. MCS have tried to continue it due to the amount of money they make from installers and customers. Disgusting really that we have electricians who can legally fit domestic and commercial systems of huge calibre yet have to pay to be MCS certified. I hope it’s the beginning of the end for MCS. Allow qualified electricians to self certify installs without MCS.

Last edited:
It all derives from the government MCS scheme and the old FIT payments I think. MCS have tried to continue it due to the amount of money they make from installers and customers. Disgusting really that we have electricians who can legally fit domestic and commercial systems of huge calibre yet have to pay to be MCS certified. I hope it’s the beginning of the end for MCS. Allow qualified electricians to self certify installs without MCS.
Like i said i get it for schemes and grants, but if self paying then what do suppliers get from it….nothing really. Just making people jump through hoops for no additional benefit to them or the customer.

Yeah, fair point. I suppose whilst it is still in a trial phase they can cover initial costs? I don’t know. Hopefully that will be repaid in a couple of a weeks of good weather once my system is expanded.

Good for the industry though.
But what are they trialling??? They do nothing but supply electric, they didnt fit your system or anything

But what are they trialling??? They do nothing but supply electric, they didnt fit your system or anything
Not a lot really are they? Ha. I suppose checking the certs and therefore ensuring the system is safe I guess. No doubt one day everyone will be eligible for export for no charge, we ll see.

Last edited:
The DNO don't require any certificates, apart from the one for the inverter, then they are happy for the system to be connected to their electricity supply. MCS is just a con, always has been and always will be. The only ones who like MCS is the people making money, it is not required for installation, or connection to the grid, or for building regs.

Last edited:
The DNO don't require any certificates, apart from the one for the inverter, then they are happy for the system to be connected to their electricity supply. MCS is just a con, always has been and always will be. The only ones who like MCS is the people making money, it is not required for installation, or connection to the grid, or for building regs.
Couldn't agree more. They offer nothing in the way of peace of mind or quality assurance, and from what I have read have no interest in supporting consumers over installers. Waste of time and money.

However to add some balance to this conversation, this is a 25 year investment and not having an MCS certificate could be problematic in the long run if the status quo remains.

Not having MCS currently locks you into one supplier and its not a guarantee that they will continue the current trial or even be accepted which is far from ideal. Octopus may not be the best supplier in the long term. It could prove problematic if you come to sell, solicitors insist on MCS to clear the paperwork is acceptable.

I totally get it, MCS is an added administrative burden but there are plenty of MCS installers out there at the moment which are currently giving competitive quotes. Unless a non-MCS installer is undercutting your best quote from an installer with MCS, I'd avoid them for now. This is of course on the assumption you are using an installer who in reality will not be materially cheaper than an MCS accredited installer and not going full DIY.

Now if the status quo changes, I'll change my view on the above but for now, its just not worth it for the sake of getting the piece of paper.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom