Solar panels and battery - any real world reccomendations?

Soldato
Got a DNO\G98\G99 question though, I have received a G98 letter from my DNO via my installer confirming installation of the system, but it is a 5.0KW Growatt solar inverter, 5.4KW of Panels, a 3.0KW Givenergy battery inverter and an 8.2KWh battery, so things I've read suggest it should require G99. Wondering if maybe the Growatt has an export limit to avoid needing G99 or something? Anyone more knowledgeable about this know why I may only have a G98?

Your installer clearly only applied for a G98, and will as you say export limit your setup. Either they or there is an administrative error somewhere between your installer and the DNO.

Soldato
The cost will not outweigh the benefits, you’d be better off with battery storage or just exporting.

If you ever rip out that heating system then that’s the opportunity to install a proper hot water tank.

Ah fair enough I didn’t spot it was a garage install. That said, to be really pedantic, it will still need its own earthing arrangement if you can get a cable to the outside.

I’d still get the proper charge point though. You’ll want to take your granny charger with you, the one time you need it is the time you forget to put it back in the car.

As it’s inside, I’d be inclined to get the Zappi but the hypervolt is still a decent option. The only reason I didn’t buy it is because it looks very fisher price on the front of a nice property with good curb appeal.

You might also want to consider if it’s worth having one with a cable that will reach outside so you can use the charger at times when you don’t want to put the car away.
Already got 2x8.2kwh batteries, I thoght that may be the case, unlikely to be replacing boiler any time soon, only 8 years old.

Associate
Your installer clearly only applied for a G98, and will as you say export limit your setup. Either they or there is an administrative error somewhere between your installer and the DNO.
Would have been nice if they'd mentioned that, as obviously will reduce my export on the best days! Obviously saved the wait for the G99 but seems like it will hamper the system long term so probably not economical. Guess I can counter it slightly by messing with the battery charge rate, so on the best days rather than trying to fully charge the battery ASAP it will export until it reaches the limit and then starts diverting to the battery and charges it more slowly, but that will mean micro-managing it (or taking advantage of the published API for the Givenergy inverter and getting my hands dirty with some coding to try and automate that somewhat), unless there's something in the various settings somewhere that will already automate that.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to apply for a G99 in the future and then if successful, get the limit removed?

Soldato
Does anyone know if it would be possible to apply for a G99 in the future and then if successful, get the limit removed?

I'd honestly just ask your installer to do it now, and come back and re-configure it once it is approved. Unless they got knocked back for G99 which is very, very rare, you can obviously asking them for a copy of the paperwork they submitted.

Associate
What's in the contract you signed with them?
It's pretty vague on the details TBH, lists the details for the panels and the size and make of the battery, but no mention of the solar inverter at all in regards to make or power. So it's not like they've gone against what was specced, just slightly surprised at their choice, TBH when arranging it I was just happy to be able to get an installation sorted on a reasonable timescale (felt that being too specific about things could hold stuff up if there happened to be supply issues for anything) and at a decent price and very happy with the system otherwise.

Soldato
Do bear in mind that at the moment, export is a little meh anyway, you don't get paid much, and even at 3.6kw it's not like you can't export a good amount still.

If you're charging battery/using power/panel peak generation is lower due to being like E/W, then you may find it's rarely in a position to send more than 3.6kw back to the grid anyway.

If you have the system installed you can probably check this by seeing what your peak generation values are like.

Just a note on powerwall from what I can tell the default is NOT to be whole home UPS, but it requires an extra/different module in order to do so (gateway 2)
Im not sure if gateway 2 is an upgraded more expensive option of the default or its now the default, I saw some guy was caught out by this, and the cost to get a gateway 2 was something like £1200
Maybe gateway 2 is standard now, but defo needs checking if your going that way

Associate
Do bear in mind that at the moment, export is a little meh anyway, you don't get paid much, and even at 3.6kw it's not like you can't export a good amount still.

If you're charging battery/using power/panel peak generation is lower due to being like E/W, then you may find it's rarely in a position to send more than 3.6kw back to the grid anyway.

If you have the system installed you can probably check this by seeing what your peak generation values are like.
True (although Agile Outgoing, which is what I'm going for, is paying some hefty amounts at the moment), but yes, peak generation is at the very highest, high 4KWs and that's pretty rare, mid 4KWs is probably more standard for the peak on a decent sunny day, then probably 300-400W for the house usage at any time, so as you say, actually not missing out on much. If I mess about with the battery a bit as well, to try and charge it when generation exceeds the peak export rather than at other times, then can probably even reduce the issue further (if I can be bothered messing about with it for just that little bit of extra export).

Associate
Yeah sorry - 320kWh per month is peak around December/January according to my Hugo app.
I asked the supplier and they say 9/10 times they can do everything from their tower which is included in price. They say scaffolding would be around £400 if necessary.

So option 1:
  • 10 x JA Solar 405 or Canadian Solar 410W Mono solar panels
  • 1 x Growatt 4kW Dual tracker inverter
  • 10 x Schletter on-roof mounting kit (2 x 5 in portrait would need 5.6m width x 4m height)
  • 1 x All cables, clips, generation meter, AC/DC isolators
  • 1 x Installation & commissioning
  • £4,595 inc VAT
Plus the following options:
  • Battery installation charge - £200
  • Two batteries from these options?:
    • 2 x GivEnergy 5.2kWh Lithium Ion Battery Storage System - £3,595 each
    • 2 x Fox 5.2kWh Lithium Ion battery Storage System - £3,495 each
    • 2 x SolaX 5.8kWh Lithium Ion battery Storage System - £3,895 each
  • Zappi 7kW Tethered EV car charging station - £995
  • iBoost / Solic200 Solar Immersion Controller - £295
That's looking like £13-£13.7k if I have assumed two batteries is the right way forward. Edit: removed
Just curious on this. Which Growatt inverter is this? I’m fairly sure the Solax batteries are 100+ volts, but most of the Growatt inverters are designed for 48v batteries?

Soldato
Just curious on this. Which Growatt inverter is this? I’m fairly sure the Solax batteries are 100+ volts, but most of the Growatt inverters are designed for 48v batteries?
I don't know but I can ask. I copied the quote from the email and pasted on here for advice/opinions.

Soldato
This cooler weather is helping my panels generate more. Going from about 4.3 kW steady peak a couple of weeks ago, to over 5.4 kW the last couple of days.

The rain storm on Tuesday cleaning the panels probably helped too.

Back
Top Bottom