Sold on Ebay, buyer is round the corner.. can I hand deliver?

Associate
You're still better off with £18 cash.

Ebay take 12% including postage cost. You've sold for £21 including postage so Ebay take ~£2.50 and you'd have to pay ~£3 postage. End of the day you'd get £15.50 selling though Ebay.

Soldato
OP
You're still better off with £18 cash.

Ebay take 12% including postage cost. You've sold for £21 including postage so Ebay take ~£2.50 and you'd have to pay ~£3 postage. End of the day you'd get £15.50 selling though Ebay.
Or I could have not told him and chucked it through the letterbox? I would have received the full £21 that he's already paid, minus £2.99 fees? So basically because I was honest I failed to make a couple extra quid? Typical!
(snip) It wouldn't be fair at all to expect the buyer to pay the extra amount.
Except he's getting it hand delivered as opposed to lost in the postal system? :p

Soldato
Don't be surprised if you get a warning from Ebay at some point. I've had a warning from them for discussing pickup from someone's house once. Genuinely didn't do anything wrong but they moaned 2-3 days after the message was sent.

Caporegime
I did this once. Sold an item then "hand delivered it" took cash in hand. eBay wanted full percentages of everything. Its not even worth your bother. Just post it. Pay the fees move on.

Soldato
Doesn't save the fees though presumably.

Not the whole fee, but it does mean not paying the fee on postage.

You seem to be confusing the buyer paying for postage vs extra profit for you.

Buyer has paid £18 for the item, that's how much you should get for it.

They've also paid £2.99 to cover your costs to post it to them.

If you deliver it in person then there are no costs to cover (you could argue your time to drop it off has a cost, but then you'd still have to take it to the post office otherwise).

However by dropping it off you will still end up better off by ~36p since you won't have to pay the 12% fees on the £2.99.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom