• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SOME RYZEN 7 1700 OVERCLOCKING!

Soldato
Which do you guys recommend as the best cooling solution to get the best results ?

Highend Air (Thermalright true 140, noctua U14, D15) AIO )Cooler Master Seidon 240V, Corsair H100, Nzxt kraken ext) Custom

Just wanting to cool the CPU
noctua D15 for me any day for me like, currently got my 1700@ 4ghz @ 1.45v holding at 60c and new cini score of 1770

Soldato
Yep high end air coolers and 240 AIO are actually pretty similar both in terms of temp and sound level these days. It is more an aesthetic choice to go the AIO route.

Custom loops and things such as the newer EVGA AIO though where you can add more rads in may/should still give you the cream of the crop to have your fans on the lowest settings to get the same temp performance of either air or AIO and if you want of course you could keep temps lower but honestly as long as they don't throttle then I would set fans on anything as low as possible.

Associate
looks like im going to have to get a usb extension cable and leave it plugged into the rear of the board and just pull it around when needed

Eh?

There are 3 headers.

USB 2.0 on the bottom of the board, middle.
USB 3.1 next to the above, blue colour.
USB 3.0 right side mid next to ATX.

You can buy internal USB adapter cables to add additional devices to each header so you don't need messy external cabling.

NZXT do a really nice magnetic USB internal hub as an example, here:

https://www.nzxt.com/products/internal-usb-hub

Doesn't need to be an NZXT case. Other manufacturers exist also.

Associate
Just managed to pick up a 1700 and gigabyte matx board for £312. Was gonna wait for r5 but the price was too good to pass up. I just wondered whether to use the included cooler or I have a shadow rock lp, do you think there would be much difference in what I could achieve between them?

Soldato
Look for my post where i explain this. Search my posts for the term P State 0 and you will find it and the reason why it's not working for you.

Is it to do with setting the voltage in the offset rather than the p state because I did this already. I will search again.

4Ghz @1.4V
VDD SOC manual voltage @1.175v (will test offset again and may change to that)
Load Line @3 for CPU and VDD SOC
DRAM 1.4V (will try 1.35V)
PLL 1.85V (will try 1.80v)
P State 0 Custom Settings (allows idle clocks and full speed clocks in balanced power profile within Windows!)
FID A0 (change this to adjust frequency, works in hexadecimal, A0 = 4Ghz 94=3.7Ghz 99=3.825Ghz)
DID 8 (don't touch this)
VID 3A ( don't touch this setting, if you need more/less voltage, use CPU Offset voltage in the first image)

M7swH7u.jpg

1hXnZWe.jpg

X4nou6U.jpg

JRw0vZV.jpg

Tlbeh5l.jpg

If you are referring to this then I cannot see what I am doing different to you :/

Last edited:
Caporegime
Is it to do with setting the voltage in the offset rather than the p state because I did this already. I will search again.

If you are referring to this then I cannot see what I am doing different to you :/

Yes. Leave all other overclock/multiplier settings at default = Auto. Use offset for changing voltage, only change FID to adjust frequency. DID and VID left at default settings. If it's not working, then usually something else was changed. Took me a while to figure it out.

Soldato
Yes. Leave all other overclock/multiplier settings at default = Auto. Use offset for changing voltage, only change FID to adjust frequency. DID and VID left at default settings. If it's not working, then usually something else was changed. Took me a while to figure it out.
I'm gonna have a play. I know where the 2700 is coming from - pstate 1. Now i need to find why pstate 0 isn't working....

Soldato
Meh, im ****** if I know lol. I've just reset cmos and changed nothing but pstate0 not even the voltage. Got into windows, locked to pstate 1 @ 2700 :/
Why can't we have cool n' quiet like the old days lol

Back
Top Bottom