• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SOME RYZEN 7 1700 OVERCLOCKING!

Soldato
The 1700 actually ran a good 10c cooler. :)
Gibbo have you tried to disable XFR and boost on a 1800X, and try clock it to it's limits?
Because it seems that is the cause for the 1800X running hotter than the 1700, showing less perf.

Saw a review today, the 1700 @3.9 was running circles around the 1800X, including lower temps, when shouldn't be the case :/

I think people were saying air and water 1700, ln2 1800x,1700x ...nobody knows:D

Mine will receive a dual Nemesis 480GTX treatment. And if it feels warm, I will drop a third rad in the loop....... It will either comply of get more cooling.
Alternative next step, use those external radiators, which are as big as the Thermaltake P5 case :D

Soldato
I do find it rather nuts how the RAM speeds are so low atm, I'm hoping this can be sorted and 3200mhz be the norm, anyone who says RAM doesn't matter needs their noggin hit.

Soldato
Yes in the Asus Crosshair!

B350 motherboards seem to be very weak for overclocking at present, so avoid those if OC.
Tried MSI 370 SLI board, CPU overclocked OK, but refused to run beyond 2400MHz RAM, clearly BIOS bug.

So in short Crosshair is the only board I can recommend.
We should get the Taichi tested tomorrow which should be a good one hopefully.
Thanks Gibbo the review and advice.

How well did the mid range Asus prime and the MSI x370 pro carbon do overclocking ??
I assume you would recommend the higher end boards to better results now and in the future ?

Will you be rechecking your tests once the bios updates start rolling ?

I'm thinking of getting the 1700 what type of cooling would you recommend ?
I was looking at the Thermalright true 140 power or the cooler master seidon 240v

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
AIO 240 is the ideal solution for me for this chip.

TWST did a lot of testing on single rad which was pushed at the top end OC but still able to do the job. So I think 240mm AIO is perfect to ensure good headroom.

Associate
Hi 8 Pack,

I have a 1800x on a 240 AIO and it idles around 57c and peaks to 75c on load. Are these safe temps for long term use?

OcUK Staff
^^Ofcourse!!!

Yeah memory actually really important for efficiency.. A high oc on mem like 3200 from 2400 was like 200 Mhz cpu oc without even touching timings. So it's like turning 4G cpu speed to 4.2!!

This for me should be a priority for AMD

Associate
Ok thanks for the confirmation! Yeah I'm having problems getting the ram to 2666mhz... But i am on a M-ATX chipset. Lets hope the bios updates resolve these issues in the future

Associate
And another question (aimed at 8pack!), do you think once all the "issues" get resolved/ironed out, the 1700 will still be the "better" chip compared to a 1800x? The 20 degree temperature difference is really making me want to return the 1800x and get the 1700 and just clock to 4.0ghz...

Back
Top Bottom